C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Performance problems, misses and stalls

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2022, 10:17 PM
Mark Kubik
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Performance problems, misses and stalls

I have a 1992 LT1. At 40,000 miles the engine started to miss and then stall. It seems that this happens when I drive for about 10 miles, let the car sit for a few hours and then begin to return. It does not seem to be a fuel problem. I have been told it could be a distributor problem. I would like to see if there are any other suggestions.
Thanks for your help.
Old 06-09-2022, 12:23 AM
KMS88Cal#16
Racer

Received 140 Likes on 103 Posts

It could be your opti distributor but you should check for any codes that are set first. Check the fuel pressure and report here. You can rent a fuel pressure gauge kit from a auto store if you don’t have one. 92&93 EMC computers also have had problems with their solder joints and can be fixed by reflowing them.
Old 06-09-2022, 07:36 AM
Incorvettei
Burning Brakes

Received 292 Likes on 212 Posts

Sounds like an opti problem
Old 06-09-2022, 08:48 AM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

Originally Posted by Incorvettei
Sounds like an opti problem
Guesses are awesome....but how about some testing?

KMS88Cal#16 is right to check things, definitely fuel pressure, especially when the symptom is happening. The fastest/easiest way to check the opti is to simply see if you have a tach signal when the symptom occurs. There are two ways (at least) to check this; 1. Get your hands on an OBD I scan tool and monitor Data stream, RPM when the symptom happens. If it's the opti, then you'll have no or erratic tach signal (RPM) showing on the scan tool. Another way to check is when the engine cuts out, try to monitor your tachometer while then engine is still in gear, car moving. Obviously, with the car moving in gear, the engine is still turning and thus the tach should display a believable reading. If it shows zero or is bouncing around, you've got a problem with the signal from the opti.

SO; I do as KMS88Cal#16 suggested and hook up a fuel pressure gauge, a scan tool or be ready to watch the tach carefully, then go drive the car and make it die on you. Look for fuel pressure falling off or a loss of a tach signal.

Get notified of new replies

To Performance problems, misses and stalls

Quick Reply: Performance problems, misses and stalls