C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

exhaust system

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2011, 09:40 PM
chefdave
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default exhaust system

I am new to this site and a new corvette owner...my first. I wanted to upgrade my exhaust system and I have a convertible 1989. My question is will the dronning from the Borla be just to much noise over a Magnaflow system. Thank you all for your assistance
Old 08-25-2011, 09:45 PM
Alan777
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

If you're concerned about drone Corsa is the way to go.

In my experiences with magnaflow and borla on other car (mustangs, fbodies) Borla drones less and sounds better
Old 08-25-2011, 11:14 PM
SJW
Le Mans Master

Received 1,392 Likes on 922 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan777
If you're concerned about drone Corsa is the way to go.
This is all of the advice you'll need on this subject. If you go with Corsa, you'll never look back. Go with anything else, and you'll probably end up either living with something you hate, or ditching it in favor of Corsa. Save yourself the trouble and the added expense, by starting at the finish line.

Live well,

SJW
Old 08-25-2011, 11:19 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

^^^
any other aftermarket system is seems will get some drone.
Corsas get 0
Old 08-26-2011, 07:14 AM
kenmohr
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
^^^
any other aftermarket system is seems will get some drone.
Corsas get 0
Old 08-26-2011, 08:02 AM
Joe C
Race Director

Received 703 Likes on 590 Posts

corsa, corsa, corsa!!!
Old 08-26-2011, 12:13 PM
mmracecars
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

procharged 95 here,shorty headers,no cats and magnaflow #16837 3" cat back system.absolutly no drone at all.
Old 08-26-2011, 07:29 PM
BADDUCK
Le Mans Master

Location: One day you're a Comet...the next day you're dust... Arkansas
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This deal about only Corsa doesn't drone is horse poop. The stock system doesn't drone, at least mine didn't. If you leave the cats in place and go with any standard type muffler with one working outlet it won't drone. Corvette Central sells a "no drone" OEM style muffler. www.corvettecentral.com
Old 08-27-2011, 07:57 PM
Joe C
Race Director

Originally Posted by chefdave
I am new to this site and a new corvette owner...my first. I wanted to upgrade my exhaust system and I have a convertible 1989. My question is will the droning from the Borla be just to much noise over a Magnaflow system. Thank you all for your assistance
Originally Posted by BADDUCK
This deal about only Corsa doesn't drone is horse poop. The stock system doesn't drone, at least mine didn't. If you leave the cats in place and go with any standard type muffler with one working outlet it won't drone. Corvette Central sells a "no drone" OEM style muffler. www.corvettecentral.com
(BADDUCK) with your statement, but what you'll end up with is a stock sounding system. the OP's topic is upgrading his exhaust and the drone issues between magnaflow and borla, not stock mufflers. forum members with real world corsa experience pretty much state no drone with the corsas. i have had four corsa systems (1990, 1996, 2000, and 2008), and can tell you that i had zero drone or resonance from my corsas. i have also had one magnaflow system and the drone was frickin' unbearable! BTW, my son's 85 has corvette central "stock style" replacement with TWO functioning outlets, and they actually got better sounding with age. they really do sound pretty good, and no drone.
Old 08-28-2011, 03:29 AM
Ricky 91 vette
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mmracecars
procharged 95 here,shorty headers,no cats and magnaflow #16837 3" cat back system.absolutly no drone at all.
91 with hooker headers, no cats, magnaflow cat back, and the drone is driving me crazyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!
Old 08-28-2011, 03:41 AM
87 vette 81 big girl
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Ricky 91 vette
91 with hooker headers, no cats, magnaflow cat back, and the drone is driving me crazyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!
Just uncork the headers from the rest of your exhaust system.

Stand on the gas hard.

Shake the ground below,

No drone from behind the car then !!

Old 08-28-2011, 03:54 AM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

Received 395 Likes on 324 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019

Put front cats in. It will help. Magnaflow aftermarkets about $150/pr + installation.
Old 08-28-2011, 11:08 AM
DA1984VETTE
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 57 Posts

I went with a true dual chambered exhaust with chambered muffler eliminators from Allens Exhaust. I get no drone at highway speeds or cruising in town. Sounds great at idle and sounds better when you get on it a little. Just my opinion.
Old 08-28-2011, 11:21 AM
BADDUCK
Le Mans Master

Location: One day you're a Comet...the next day you're dust... Arkansas
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe C
(BADDUCK) with your statement, but what you'll end up with is a stock sounding system. the OP's topic is upgrading his exhaust and the drone issues between magnaflow and borla, not stock mufflers. forum members with real world corsa experience pretty much state no drone with the corsas. i have had four corsa systems (1990, 1996, 2000, and 2008), and can tell you that i had zero drone or resonance from my corsas. i have also had one magnaflow system and the drone was frickin' unbearable! BTW, my son's 85 has corvette central "stock style" replacement with TWO functioning outlets, and they actually got better sounding with age. they really do sound pretty good, and no drone.
I have Magnaflow dual outlet OEM type mufflers and NO pre cats and very little drone (NONE above 1400 rpm's) What I pointed out is there are several alternatives. What good is a forum where everyone says Corsa, Bosch III's, and AFR's. You don't have to go to expensive stainless mufflers to UPGRADE.....JMO.
Old 08-28-2011, 09:35 PM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

Received 395 Likes on 324 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by BADDUCK
What good is a forum where everyone says Corsa, Bosch III's, and AFR's. You don't have to go to expensive stainless mufflers to UPGRADE.....JMO.
Well, it's certainly good for those vendors!!

Seriously, that's a great point...I typically try to suggest reasonably-priced alternatives in the same regard. Chambered tubes, performance cats, glass-pack muffers, X/H pipes are all good examples of reasonably-priced add-ons used to quiet sound/drone.

Glass packs are sometimes frowned on as Vizzard says canister mufflers can rob some power. People also seem to think converters are always really bad for power. Chambered tubes, spiral mufflers, and other unique approaches are rarely mentioned...maybe they should be. Either probably robs way less power than potential buyers might suspect.

People who drop the coin for the high-dollar stuff are usually enthusiastic about the brand. Corsa does sound like a good option thru repeated support. So, you COULD assume that means FIC, AFR, and Corsa really are effective solutions. Otherwise, they wouldn't be mentioned so often.

Also, vendor's selling the higher-priced and/or more sought-after products usually have done a better job of advertising and selling their parts.
Old 08-29-2011, 02:53 AM
Ricky 91 vette
Racer

Originally Posted by GREGGPENN
Put front cats in. It will help. Magnaflow aftermarkets about $150/pr + installation.
i have the center cat only, i got it installed to be removable when i want to, thanks to the 3" flanches, it takes me like 20 min to switch it with the streight pipe that has flanches too, its true it help reducing the drone a bit, it sounds and smells better on idle but its still annoying when crusing, i have to put the radio loud to hear the words and screem when talking on the phone!! but the magnaflow sounds nice on WOT!
Old 08-29-2011, 02:57 AM
Ricky 91 vette
Racer

ok let me put the question again in a diffrent way: what is the quietest mufflers that would give you close performance to the magnaflow?

Get notified of new replies

To exhaust system

Old 08-29-2011, 05:19 AM
Joe C
Race Director

ok let me put the question again in a different way: what is the quietest mufflers that would give you close performance to the magnaflow?
probably stock LT1's. here is the problem - since cats are the most restrictive part of the system, and assuming you keep your stock cats, anything less restrictive you put downstream is not going to add much. without a dyno, i'd guess somewhere around 5 hp, if that - not enough for the SOTP meter to register. take a lot of the manufacturers claims with a grain of salt, and don't add an aftermarket exhaust system for performance gains alone, cause it ain't gonna happen. add it for the looks, sound, and quality you want in a replacement system.

i'm somewhat enthusiastic about corsa, because it gives me the sound quality i was looking for - not loud enough to draw too much attention, and zero drone. another reason is the fit and finish. corsa's are pretty much "plug and play". can't really say that about magnaflow - on the Y-pipe, the distance between the R and L manifold mounting flanges was about .75 inches too narrow, the flange holes were way over sized requiring an extra cost, thick specialty washer to secure to the exhaust manifolds, the magnaflow front y-pipe and the magnaflow main cat wouldn't mate and i had to have the y-pipe expanded (probably around 1/8 inch) to get a good fit. then, top it off with the drone. corsa, on the other hand, a fit perfect - all four systems i've had. i really don't know any vendors that push corsa. they just don't sell enough of those systems for the extra effort. people with real world corsa experience push corsa. nobody is twisting anybody's arms to buy corsa, and you can pretty much buy anything you want. if you want to go inexpensive, go for it. my feeling, it doesn't cost anymore to go first class, ya just can't go as far!

"What good is a forum where everyone says Corsa, Bosch III's, and AFR's" - ??? - first of all, NOT everybody says that, but when 9 out of 10 people do - well, you can take that FWIW.

i really have to quit spending any more time on this thread, move on, and finish reading my book on ODD -

Last edited by Joe C; 08-29-2011 at 06:06 AM.
Old 08-29-2011, 09:05 AM
Steve85
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts
Cruise-In V Veteran

I'm surprised I have not heard of anyone on here trying the Dynomax VT. I plan on doing it in the near future. They are $100 ea with a 30 day return policy.

I've had good luck with my Corsa system, or really just mufflers. I bought it used and sold the resonator with no added drone as a result. 408cid, headers, no cats.

There have been many less expensive alternatives that have resulted in no drone, the only problem it seems to be different for every person. Plenty of Magnaflow "no-drone" claims but the specifics of system and the application all seem to be different.

You basically have risk-reward decision to make. You can try and do it for $200 - $400 2-3 times before you hit the Corsa cost. Problem is, if you haven't found the right combo yet, you're going to be spending more.
Old 08-29-2011, 10:20 AM
Strick
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

First of all, let's make sure the comments you read are from non LT1/4 owners. Their exhaust systems are different than yours. I'm a LT1 guy so my inputs wouldn't really help you. Just for grins, I went through a lot of exhaust systems and found that I really like the OEM system with muffler elims and a cross over aft of the resonator. Great sound. What you need to do is follow what guys have tried and like. Nobody wants to admit they made a bad buy so beware of the guys that have made high priced systems and rave about them. Hey, I was one of those guys when I bought the B&B system which is now hanging in the shed. Go to car shows that have Vettes and ask to hear their systems. They love to show off. Good luck with your search.

Quick Reply: exhaust system