C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

87 C4, vacuum line to fuel tank???

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2011, 03:10 PM
noyo55
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 87 C4, vacuum line to fuel tank???

I took the vette in for our semi-annual smog check and it flunked the leak down test for the charcoal canister. I replace one vacuum line where it goes behind the radiator but flunked again.I found an old post that said there is another piece of vacuum hose in front of the drivers side wheel well. anyone with a pic of this one. There is a lot of stuff under there. Any other likely places to look for rotted rubber lines?? Thanks
Old 08-11-2011, 04:19 PM
leesvet
Safety Car

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

The 87 is not complex once you know the layout. That is a purge line on the driver side that runs to the tank. It MUST be in good shape or the system leaks. Common problem with the metal tubing around rear wheel well.

In the nose the vac line runs to the brake booster area where it T's to a line thats toward the distributer.
The other small line os connected to the T-body where it splits and feeds the egr solenoid too. There is 3/8 tubing to the purge solenoid with one that is nothing more than a vent. Does not go anywhere. Just lays in the nose.
You should have a sticker on the shroud that details the vac lines in this area, not the purge lines.
Old 08-11-2011, 07:41 PM
AGENT 86
Race Director

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Not sure what year they switched to two vacuum sources, check the diagram on rad and use this to help you diagnose (from my 86 FSM)

http://members.shaw.ca/corvette86/Ev...l%20System.pdf

86 Vacuum diagram

Later 2 vac source diagram

Old 08-11-2011, 08:41 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,043 Posts

Instead of replacing vacuum lines here and there, you need to get a mytivac vacuum tool. It will allow you to apply vacuum to the whole assembly and isolate where the leak is.
Old 08-12-2011, 11:33 PM
loaded vet
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Same thing

I have a 87 as well with the same test failure. I finally broke down and started from the gas tank replacing all of the vacuum hoses up to the tank in the driver's side wheel well. There was only one short section of vacuum hose that had rotted out. It was located behing the wheel well in a very difficult area to see let alone work on. I would hook up a vacuum pump in the wheel well and test the complete system as i replaced each length of vacuum hose. As it turned out that little devil was the one causing me the leak problem.
Hope this is helpfull.

Gary
Old 08-14-2011, 10:58 AM
coupeguy2001
Le Mans Master

Received 144 Likes on 106 Posts
2021 C4 of the Year - Modified Finalist

There is another one on my car that was coated in undercoating. it is in front of the wheel well on the left hand side just where the floor flattens out from the curved portion of the wheel well.
It causes a gas smell as well. (1986 early)

Get notified of new replies

To 87 C4, vacuum line to fuel tank???

Quick Reply: 87 C4, vacuum line to fuel tank???