C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

ZF6 Blue tag VS. Black tag TOB

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 09:36 PM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

Received 400 Likes on 327 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019

So you really think you have a black tag now?
Old 08-01-2011, 11:05 PM
96_LT4_FE1
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GREGGPENN
So you really think you have a black tag now?
Since the tag is missing, I can't think of any other way I can tell. Some early model blues also have the mechanical lock out it could go either way. If they replaced the TOB, they didn't put it on the repair bill, although it wouldn't surprise me if they "hid" a few things as I was getting kinda irritable with them.
It really don't matter to me which I have as long as it works. So far, so good, but 3rd seems kinda finicky to me. It doesn't want to synchronize very quickly sometimes. I may end up having my old one rebuilt and put back in. We'll see, I guess.

I know the service rep wouldn't know what I was talking about if I asked him, his screen listed the tranny as being the same 89 to 96, I remember him mentioning that.

I also noticed on my old tranny that two of the input shaft bearing retainer bolts were loose, one was partially stripped in the head. I'm guessing they were horsing around with that also.

And the splines on the input shaft of my old tranny are rusty, which seems odd, but possible.

Its probably some mix and match transmission from some hole-in-the-wall tranny shop, I don't know why else anyone would take the tag off. Those tags don't just "fall off".
Old 08-02-2011, 01:21 AM
USAsOnlyWay
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is weird about the tag falling off... much more weird about the stripped heads on the retainer though....

Did you measure the diameter of that sleeve on the one they gave back to you? Maybe they switched it around? Or at least thought about it. Man it sure sucks they aren't straight with you.

Can you see any numbers on the trans? I can't remember if their are numbers besides on the trans tag. I do know there are black tag, black tag spec'd like blue tag, blue tag and green tag transmissions though....
Old 08-02-2011, 09:50 PM
96_LT4_FE1
Racer

Originally Posted by USAsOnlyWay
It is weird about the tag falling off... much more weird about the stripped heads on the retainer though....

Did you measure the diameter of that sleeve on the one they gave back to you? Maybe they switched it around? Or at least thought about it. Man it sure sucks they aren't straight with you.

Can you see any numbers on the trans? I can't remember if their are numbers besides on the trans tag. I do know there are black tag, black tag spec'd like blue tag, blue tag and green tag transmissions though....
I looked closer at the tag on my stock tranny and the rivets that hold the tag on are peened down pretty good. When I looked at the replacement tranny in my car, the rivets looked unusually long and even. I'm thinking that case never had a tag, and, therefore, was never in a corvette as OEM. Of course, I have no guesses as to where it really came from, I was only told they shipped it up from Oklahoma. I am sure it that it was "used" somewhere, tho.

I measured the shaft today.

I get 1.3730 or there abouts, which, if this is correct:

A "Black Tag" ZF6 that was used from 1989 to sometime in late 1993.
It was produced in Germany and literally has a black service tag. The Black tag makes more gear noise due to the different
angle of the gear machining. The black tag also has a 1.375" diameter front collar, therefore requires a clutch disc
with an integrated 1.375" throw out bearing.

A "Blue Tag" ZF6 was used from sometime in 1994 until 1996. It was produced in the United States, and has
a Blue service tag. Re-angled gear machining lead to more quiet operation. The collar on the front has been reduced
to 1.311" so that a nylon insert could be pressed into the Throw out bearing. (To reduce wear, I'm told). Therefore,
your clutch disc will need to be specific to the transmission you have.
Means they switched the sleeves with the replacement tranny.

I'm guessing it happened this way:
Mechanic gets replacement tranny.
Mechanic tries installing said tranny.
tranny doesn't fit.
Mechanic says, "&*^&)ing G&&*^&(am ^&(*^^%$#&,..."
Mechanic swaps sleeves and installs the tranny.

there are casting numbers on various parts of those transmissions, some which are on top =8O, but odds are they do not contain useful information in identifying the history of the transmission.

I'm sure they are more than a little embarrassed about having difficulties with it. Its much older than they are used to and parts are much harder to come by. I actually keep forgetting that myself. I always drove old junk and parts were never a problem, but corvettes have so many "corvette only" parts and they are such a low production car (for a GM) that parts become rare pretty quick.
Old 08-04-2011, 11:01 AM
USAsOnlyWay
Le Mans Master

Yeah, and that is your stock trans out of your 96? You definitely have a black tag collar on there. Damn... I wish you had that about 5 months ago when I had to sleeve my blue tag collar... haha

On the bright side, they are completely interchangeable and the black tag while "noisier" is stronger than the blue. Also, the re-used and didn't damage your TOB by removing the insert so that is good.

Embarrassing sure, but that is a lot of work to leave in the dark...

Also on the bright side, I think good blue tag TOB are getting harder to come by. If you need to replace it, you can now also use a black tag (1.375) TOB if you decide to replace the collar.

EDIT:
The copied box is right except that model year 1994 had a combination of blue and black tag ZF6s all built to blue tag specs. (1.311")

Last edited by USAsOnlyWay; 08-04-2011 at 11:08 AM.
Old 08-04-2011, 10:39 PM
helphos
Burning Brakes

Received 93 Likes on 72 Posts

Default Black tag vs Blue tag

Not to thread-hijack, but I have a black tag ZF in my '93. The synchros are bad on 2nd gear, so I bought a blue tag on Fleabaay. When I go to install it, will the TOB be the only thing I have to change??

Any guesses what the swap might cost?

Sounds like some knowledgeable people here, and inquiring minds want to know.
Old 08-05-2011, 12:03 AM
USAsOnlyWay
Le Mans Master

technically yes but I believe the tob is attached to the clutch pp. I've never messed with stock stuff so I couldn't tell you if you could swap just the tob.
Old 08-05-2011, 01:52 AM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

Received 400 Likes on 327 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by helphos
Not to thread-hijack, but I have a black tag ZF in my '93. The synchros are bad on 2nd gear, so I bought a blue tag on Fleabaay. When I go to install it, will the TOB be the only thing I have to change??

Any guesses what the swap might cost?

Sounds like some knowledgeable people here, and inquiring minds want to know.
Wouldn't it matter if early or late Blue Tag? If the later one, will early, lock-ring shifter still "work"? Maybe?

Actually, I'd be jumping ALL OVER a short-throw shifter for this swap. No extra charge for installation with the tranny is being swapped!!! You will not (100% guaranteed) regret it!

I'm guessing $700-$1000 for r/r depending on mechanic.
Old 08-05-2011, 08:05 AM
helphos
Burning Brakes

Received 93 Likes on 72 Posts

Default Black and Blue zf6

Originally Posted by GREGGPENN
Wouldn't it matter if early or late Blue Tag? If the later one, will early, lock-ring shifter still "work"? Maybe?

Actually, I'd be jumping ALL OVER a short-throw shifter for this swap. No extra charge for installation with the tranny is being swapped!!! You will not (100% guaranteed) regret it!

I'm guessing $700-$1000 for r/r depending on mechanic.
Thanks, Gregg!
The Blue tag is from a 95 Vette, so I'm assuming it's 'late.' I never thought about the short shifter kit! Thanks for the idea.

Maybe I can find a buyer for my black tag to offset some of the install cost. The rebuild parts are so expensive that I can't imagine I could get much for it, though. (It's a victim of the 'reversed seal slave cylinder' problem.)

P
Old 08-05-2011, 10:28 AM
jaa1992
Le Mans Master

Location: Life is just one big track event. Everything before and after is prep and warm-up and cool-down laps GA
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '12

What kind of price are you looking for the black tag?
Would you wait until December - I'll be up in the DC area between Christmas and New Years and could pick it up.
Old 08-05-2011, 12:24 PM
USAsOnlyWay
Le Mans Master

Short shifter is way easier to install out of the car. I would think the shifter would come with the trans but if not I would think you could install your shifter in the blue tag just without the reverse lock out. Not sure though. I love my Hurst shifter.
Old 08-05-2011, 12:29 PM
5abivt
Safety Car

Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

I sold my black tag for a new Blue tag and Bill at ZFdoc rebuilt and strengthened it. I had him do his short throw shifter on it and it sbetter than the Hurst and the B&M.

I wish I didnt have to hear you get ripped by a dealer. Should have done your research and at least bought a zf off a reputable member here with a little history on the trans or rebuilt it by bill.

Edit** dam I just reread the thread and wow that dealer is... just a typical dealer I guess. Here's my advice to you. Find a local performance shoppe. Ive had several cars over the years so far and NEVER has ANY of my cars EVER seen a dealer nor will they EVER. If I want something done I find a performance shoppe. WAY more experience and cheaper because its probably easier and simpler for them to do it.

I bought my new Blue tag when GM was dumping them for $1200. I had Bill rebuild it and laser weld the synchros and do all his work to it and then cyro treated it. I dont think I paid as much as you. I guess Im just rubbing it in if you are already driving. We all learn from our mistakes I've had my share. Maybe it make you feel better than I spent $16k on a stroker and they fudged a lash job and the same valve fell in a few days later destroying the entire motor. Only the intake manifold was salvageable. They said get lost. Hope that makes you feel better

Last edited by 5abivt; 08-05-2011 at 12:36 PM.
Old 08-05-2011, 12:49 PM
xphnmn
Instructor

Originally Posted by STL94LT1
Hey, if it makes you feel any better. Before I started doing my own work on my car I paid $900 for an opti change and $74 for an oil change at a GM Dealer.

Your repair bill is in the past. Move on and enjoy the ride.
What dealership was that so I can stay clear? (I'm in StL too)

Quick Reply: ZF6 Blue tag VS. Black tag TOB