C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Manual control of main cooling fan

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2011, 01:34 PM
mbfan72
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Manual control of main cooling fan

Just double checking - if I splice into the green-white wire leading to the coolant temperature sensor and feed that to a switch that is grounded I can run my main cooling fan manually but not affect the normal operation of the main cooling ?

Want to use this between autoslalom runs in a co-driven car to help cool it.

Thanks!
Old 07-15-2011, 02:07 PM
oldalaskaman
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

its been done a lot on this site, do a search, you will find threads with wire diagrams.
Old 07-15-2011, 03:21 PM
AGENT 86
Race Director

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Just like your aux fan thread, tap into the dark green/white wire at main fan relay.(inner fender beside battery)

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/1578110840-post3.html
Old 07-15-2011, 10:22 PM
pcolt94
Le Mans Master

Received 197 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by mbfan72
Just double checking - if I splice into the green-white wire leading to the coolant temperature sensor and feed that to a switch that is grounded I can run my main cooling fan manually but not affect the normal operation of the main cooling ?

Thanks!
You never want to ground a sensor.

Agent 84 has good info to energize the fan relay.

But without knowing what year car you have will make a difference in the information. C4s span 10 years and things are done different in the different years. Please state you year and best fill the profile out.
Old 07-18-2011, 01:17 PM
staugur
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mbfan72

Thanks!
For your particular requirement, manually running the fan to cool the engine between runs isn't going to work. you may cool the water in the rad but not in the block where it matters.What you need to do is fit an electric water pump along with a manual fan switch. That way you can circulate the water and cool it with the engine not running.Also switch on the heater full blast, it acts as a seperate smaller rad.
Old 07-19-2011, 04:43 AM
rodj
Le Mans Master

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by staugur
manually running the fan to cool the engine between runs isn't going to work. you may cool the water in the rad but not in the block where it matters..

But it will work to cool engine down if you periodically fire the engine for 15 - 30 sec to circulate the hot water from block to radiator

Get notified of new replies

To Manual control of main cooling fan

Quick Reply: Manual control of main cooling fan