C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Final word on best opti spark to buy

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2011, 09:54 PM
overdrawn
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

http://www.vetteweb.com/tech/vemp_07...tor/index.html

Last edited by overdrawn; 09-26-2011 at 10:03 PM.
Old 09-26-2011, 09:56 PM
quickcat
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Strick
Sure..... do you know if it has the original design internals or chinese? There seems to be some debate on that. Besides, it is the design with the holes that are open to the weather, and others are saying to add fittings, locktight screws, and add RTV all over the place. I just want to put one on that will last. (driving in a heavy rain storm got this last one)

Maybe I should just put a Ford engine in it!

Seriously, I like what I see in the MSD unit but if there are guys out there who have really been let down by it I want to know.

Matt
Old 09-27-2011, 12:56 AM
tjnjr
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by quickcat
Sure..... do you know if it has the original design internals or chinese? There seems to be some debate on that. Besides, it is the design with the holes that are open to the weather, and others are saying to add fittings, locktight screws, and add RTV all over the place. I just want to put one on that will last. (driving in a heavy rain storm got this last one)

Maybe I should just put a Ford engine in it!

Seriously, I like what I see in the MSD unit but if there are guys out there who have really been let down by it I want to know.

Matt
I just put in a new Cardone unit on my 92. The original GM unit had only 26,000 miles on it and when it was removed and inspected the internals looked like it came off a 1930's car that spent the last 80 plus years in a bone yard out in the rain. Sure I had to modify the Cardone by adding 2 vent lines since the 92 does not have a vented unit unless you go with the MSD. The Cardone cost $230 so it was worth the tiny bit of extra work to upgrade it. And based on others experience I sealed the entire unit with high temp silicone - not doing that seems to be rolling the dice. The car runs great now. Be sure you get a model specific to the year of your car as they are not all the same - later models - I beleive 95 and above - had a drive pin not a splined gear.
Old 10-30-2013, 04:48 PM
Scootin_Z
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts

I have not read this whole thread, but I went thru TWO MSD's in less than 300 miles. With a procharger on the car this was NO FUN so after the second one I junked MSD went to the stock Opti that was on the car. Now that one just went. I think it's a coil conversion for me! I think there ALL junk. I don't think a AC/Delco will be any better as MOST of the AC delco stuff is China now. Had a AC Delco brand new water pump with runout on the shaft. Kept blowing my seals out. This car has been apart WAAAAAAY too many times

The first MSD was arching all over the place upon fire up of the new motor. The 2nd one shown below went just putting at 45 and the car flat out died. The cap actually cracked. This unit had 280 miles on it. Fought MSD and I JUST got a check back from them. There JUNK! Don't buy one!!! Not to mention MSD just filed chapter 11. I was LUCKY to get my money back.

Last edited by Scootin_Z; 11-01-2013 at 07:44 PM.
Old 10-30-2013, 10:15 PM
kimmer
Le Mans Master

Received 60 Likes on 41 Posts
C4 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by mmracecars
have had good luck with the chandler motorsports one,134$ for a lifetime warranty one.have been through all the others,summitt,autozone ,ac delco,msd,dynaspark.just whatever unit you decide on take the cap off and loctite the rotor screws.
I have the same one and it's working like a charm. Paying big $ for a unit doesn't always mean it's better.
Old 10-30-2013, 11:09 PM
quickcat
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

The MSD unit worked good for me. Seems to be a wide variance in success with optispark units. Too bad there isn't one that you know for sure will do the job well.

Just put a discount auto parts store one on a 95 for a friend of mine. So far it is working good. Who knows what will happen.... it may last for ever.

Matt
Old 10-31-2013, 07:35 PM
Scootin_Z
Burning Brakes

my buddy just quoted me over 500 for the GM unit and he works at the dealer so I don't know if prices went through the ceiling or what but that's not cheap. I'm done with the optipark. For that much money I might as well just go to coil conversion.

The optical portion of the unit seems to work pretty good, but the distributor portion sucks. Mines going bye bye... screw that pos. one of GMs worst ever designs.

Last edited by Scootin_Z; 11-01-2013 at 07:43 PM.
Old 11-01-2013, 02:49 PM
tombrammer
Pro

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

What coils setup are you going with? I am thinking the same thing. My MSD has an intermittent miss.
Old 11-01-2013, 07:41 PM
Scootin_Z
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by tombrammer
What coils setup are you going with? I am thinking the same thing. My MSD has an intermittent miss.
Well after a few days of digging around, I think I am going to go with the Dynaspark opti (optic only no distributor and it 100% sealed) 3rd one down here:
http://www.dynaspark.net/products/

Then as far as the conversion itself, there are 2 options. Bob Baily's LTCC set up and the Delteq setup:

http://www.bailey-eng.com/LTCC.html
http://www.delteq.com/

There is actually a 3rd but it requires running a LS1 PCM and there is no harness available (simple anyhow) that would work. Plus you lose things like traction control etc. For race application this would be the way to go and the LS pcm is way better for tuning but at that point just put an LS engine in the car or get a LS car!
http://www.eficonnection.com/eficonnection/24xLT1.aspx

Jury is still out on the 2 options as I'm still researching them both but I think I am leaning towards the LTCC set up.

Then there is this guy who I found on Ebay:
http://www.bp-automotive.com/

He makes coil brackets that will fit the stock composite valve covers on my 95. I still need to get a hold of Delteq to talk to them on their set up, but I have a feeling MOST brackets out there are made to fit the camaro/firebird style valve cover like these: http://www.eficonnection.com/eficonn...SBCandLT1.aspx

The composites have a funky bolt with a gasket. I am not sure how far back those go on the Vette but I know they are on the 95's and 96's. This guy will make the brackets to fit the gasket and then supply the correct length bolt for the install of the bracket on the valve cover with the bracket sealing the hole with the stock gasket that was on the bolt.

The guy who makes the brackets (BP automotive) was a pretty knowledgeable guy on the conversion along with Bob Baily who I have also chatted with. I am going to get BP the specks on that gasket and the stock bolt so he can make the brackets and either way save the the headaches of hoping the brackets will work with the stock valve covers. It's been something he has wanted to do but just has not had the time to hit the GM parts counter to find the bolt and gasket.

If you (or anyone else) is interested in doing the conversion let me know because the guy at BP said he would put together a package deal so I don't have to order all the stiff separate and have one shipping charge. Maybe if we get a few going here we can get some volume pricing?

I could probably use my stock opti for the signal but I don't think I am going to. Since I got my $$$ back from MSD I think I am just going to buy the sealed unit from Dynaspark. I have a pro charger on the car and the car has been apart so many freekin times (2 bhad MSD opti's and now the stock one went and 2 more times for blown front seals due to run-out on the BRAND NEW ac delco made in China waterpump.
....that was a fun one) So needless to say this car has run me through the mill and I am sick of it, BUT when it runs it's a hell of a lot of fun.... and after this I will hopefully FINALLY see it's full potential with boost.

So with the Dynaspark it will probably be in the area of $1400 for everything BUT $$$$ could be saved by using used coils OR I have a buddy that works for GM so I may be able to get a decent deal on the coils from him instead of these guys. Also on that note, Bob Baily (LTCC) warned me about the "bulk packaged" coils you see on ebay. He said he has seen problems with them. He suggests using the stock squareish truck coils #12558693 OR LS2 coils 12573190.

This was the prices of everything (without shopping around yet)
LTCC set up $400
Dynaspark $525
brackets, coils harnesses, hardware etc $450 OR $105 for just the brackets and go used on the coils/harnesses.

So really if you used the old opti, used coils you could save a bit, but with what I have been thru and all I have into the car I'm not using ANY opti that can still get wet because I am FED UP with this P.O.S. ignition system on this car!

Quick Reply: Final word on best opti spark to buy