C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

anybody heard of Skip White Performance?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 07:26 AM
93 ragtop
Le Mans Master

Received 96 Likes on 82 Posts

Default anybody heard of Skip White Performance?

I found this site. Its in Kingsport Tenn. I called and talked to a guy named Charlie about their stroker rotating assemblys. For their package deals he really didnt have anything for the LT1. He advised against a cast crank due to what it would take to internal balance it. He told me he could put together a package, Forged Probe pistons -12cc dish, pro comp H beam rods, Scat forged crank, bearings and rings. He would balance it in house (hines balancer) provide balance sheet, and this would cost $1295.00
Im looking for opinions and experience with this company as well as these parts. Im still trying to research this build and not get in a hurry on it.
Thanks in advance
Old 07-12-2011, 07:52 AM
MyFirst90coupe
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I've bought a few odds and ends from them. I read a bunch of good and bad about them on Thirdgen.org more good than bad though.
Old 07-12-2011, 08:27 AM
91kuhndog
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nothing but good experiences from them Ragtop.... knowledgable and great prices. I recommend them! They will tell you what WILL & WONT work, they impressed me. They sell alot on ebay, in fact, I just bought a set of 1.6 RR's & pushrods from them to put in the 84....
Old 07-12-2011, 10:48 AM
Calderone
Le Mans Master

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

they are pretty good, always with a nice disposition to solve whatever you need
Old 07-12-2011, 12:08 PM
mmracecars
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

i bought some forged probe pistons and h -beam rods from them.very cheap and got them quick.
Old 07-12-2011, 12:13 PM
cgantner5150
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Really good experience with them. Bought my rotating assembly, heads, and other goodies from them.
Always willing to talk - real people - important to me.
I read the "good and bad" during my research - I think I chose well.
Old 07-12-2011, 07:12 PM
93 ragtop
Le Mans Master

Thanks to everyone for all your opinions. Orig. I had been looking at a factory balanced eagle cast kit. But it is only about $500.00 cheaper and this is all forged with H-beam rods. Its probably overkill for my intended use but I am leaning that way.
The one thing that does have me somewhat concerned is, I have read about alot of complaints with the pro comp rods. But then again, I have read some good reports. It does seem to be the best deal that I have found so far.
Again, thanks to everyone for your help.
Old 07-13-2011, 09:58 PM
96 lt-4
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

Have them(rods) checked locally once you recieve them.Measure twice,cut once.
Old 07-13-2011, 11:45 PM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

Received 394 Likes on 323 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by 93 ragtop
I called and talked to a guy named Charlie about their stroker rotating assemblys. For their package deals he really didnt have anything for the LT1. He advised against a cast crank due to what it would take to internal balance it.
Charlie didn't advise me against a cast crank when I bought one for my L98 383! Sounds like he was making a case for making a sale. That's the bad part about the "good and bad" feedback (mentioned above) is their "truth" can be biased. OTOH, their pricing can be phenomenal. I got a "builder's" Scat 9000 crank for less than 120 bucks. (It was not reground). All that means is it lacked the final polish...my builder had to do that for me.

But, I also had (and wanted to get) my DMFW as part of the balancing. More expensive to ship that both ways!

Last edited by GREGGPENN; 07-13-2011 at 11:47 PM.
Old 04-01-2013, 01:21 AM
AvelardoOntiveros
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't order from that company! I ordered a top end kit from them for my 84 corvette project and they didn't send me all the parts and when they did finally get the parts to my door the gaskets were Ford the cam was Ford the intake was chevy the lifters the studs and etc were chevy from the time i called those guys and placed my order it took over a month to get my parts the sales reps are not very knowledgeable. Their mishaps cost me my job and was very frustrating.personally i would stick to the performance shop in or near your hometown in case you have any trouble with the quality of your parts or the time it take to get them to you
Old 04-01-2013, 03:39 AM
Crepitus
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 93 ragtop
The one thing that does have me somewhat concerned is, I have read about alot of complaints with the pro comp rods.
Scat procomp rods are exellant. There is a company named Pro Comp that sells ***** knock off blocks heads ect, avoid their stuff, lotsa quality issues.
Old 04-01-2013, 07:05 AM
93 ragtop
Le Mans Master

This is somewhat of a old post, but just to let you know, Will (rklessdriver) put a package together for me from several different suppliers. We ended up with ross pistons, scat rods, and scat crank.
Old 04-02-2013, 12:12 AM
Crepitus
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dohh!

Get notified of new replies

To anybody heard of Skip White Performance?

Quick Reply: anybody heard of Skip White Performance?