C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

I'm in the middle of a performance rebuild and need a little help.

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2024, 08:15 PM
Eightrac
Heel & Toe

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default I'm in the middle of a performance rebuild and need a little help.

I've just received my heads back from the machine shop and I'm trying to decide what valve springs I should use to support this cam:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-8802

A little back-history on what I currently have done:

89k 1988 corvette with TH700R4
Stock bottom end with new rings/rod and crank bearings
High volume oil pump
Double roller timing chain
OEM style roller lifters
TPI with heavy amounts of porting to the plenum and lower intake. My machinist claimed that my porting would outperform most of the aftermarket TPI manifolds he's seen. I haven't cc'd the ports or anything, but it's significant.
Cleaned/pressure checked and trued 113 casting heads that have also been heavily ported in the ports/bowls and gasket matched.

I realize the max lift that the 113 head stock valve spring can handle is .480" and with aftermarket valve springs that number can reach .525" lift.

In this case, what budget springs do you recommend? I'm thinking about using summit's 174002 beehive spring with the LS to 11/32" SBC conversion retainers, 7 degree locks and using the factory valve seats and shimming those if needed.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-174002

EDIT: Aaaaalso, I have three stall converters for this car. I'm trying to decide which one to install. I have stock unit, a 2500-2800 unit and a 2800-3200 unit. Which one would be more "fun"? hahahah

Last edited by Eightrac; 01-28-2024 at 08:31 PM.
Old 01-29-2024, 06:33 AM
Phobos84
Melting Slicks

Received 457 Likes on 348 Posts

Originally Posted by Eightrac

EDIT: Aaaaalso, I have three stall converters for this car. I'm trying to decide which one to install. I have stock unit, a 2500-2800 unit and a 2800-3200 unit. Which one would be more "fun"? hahahah
Don't be afraid of stall. On paper anyway I would go with the 2800-3200 being that converters tend to flash low in these cars. But the better question is, what brand are the converters? I hate spending money and love junkyard engine builds that make 500 hp but I will always spend good money on a converter. For example a B&M converter would make a great paperweight or a boat anchor but a lousy converter no matter what the stall speed is. If this is a street car (I'm assuming it is) then the quality of the converter is even more important. You need something from FTI or Yank or Circle D or some other quality manufacturer. Not saying that what you already have isn't a good part. I have no idea. I'm just saying that the quality of the converter is more important than the advertised stall speed.
Old 01-29-2024, 09:41 AM
AZSP33D
Burning Brakes

Received 253 Likes on 202 Posts

Call Summit and ask them what spring is appropriate, I didn't see the installed height shown.

The cam manufacturer would provide the required spring data and limitations... it's advertised as a Gen 1 roller so if it doesn't have the Gen 1.5 step on the nose, you will need a cam button for retention.

Get notified of new replies

To I'm in the middle of a performance rebuild and need a little help.

Quick Reply: I'm in the middle of a performance rebuild and need a little help.