C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Techron

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2011, 01:45 AM
Dr_Shakalu
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Techron

On an earlier thread, I asked about problems gas gauges had with accuracy on how much gas is in the tank and what the gauge shows. I saw the post on how to take out the sender unit and clean it. Other people said to use Techron. Is this the Techron http://www.walmart.com/search/search...h_constraint=0
Also, some said that they used 2 bottles and the gas gauge started to work correctly again. Do they mean use 2 bottles at one time or follow the directions and use every 3,000 miles. Thanks, Ed
Old 06-28-2011, 01:50 AM
87 vette 81 big girl
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

You likely need a new gas tank sending unit for the gas gauge to read accurate again.

Comman Older GM vehicle problem.
Old 06-28-2011, 01:53 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Chevron gas already has that stuff in it, dont waste your money.
Old 06-28-2011, 07:16 AM
TWISTERUP
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

They mean use 2 bottles at the same time. I've known people that swear they've cleared up fuel gauge inaccuracies using 2 bottles to "clean" the sender--I've personnally never had any luck myself. As someone else said you'll likely end up replacing the sending unit, which isn't a bad job it's done from the top and you don't remove the gas tank.
Old 06-28-2011, 09:19 AM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

C5 owners that have had issues with wrong gas gauge readings usually get resolution by adding a couple bottles of Techron. But the sending unit is different compared to the C4 tank unit.

The sending unit is relatively easy to replace, but adding two bottles of Techron when you fill the tank is certainly worth a try. Techron is easy to find.
Old 06-28-2011, 11:40 AM
SunCr
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

From everything I've read, high sulfur content in fuels is what causes problems with the sending unit contacts. Sometimes there will be a rash of failures and the oil companys (most notably Shell) will foot the bill for new ones. Do a GOOGLE for "bad gasoline" for more info or to see if there is anything in your area.

As to Techron or any other miracles - like nitrogen - most fuels (particularly in this Town), come from a single distribution point and supposedly, additives are added when the truck is filled up. I've yet to see the delivery guy on top of the Chevron truck pouring in a bottle or two of Techron. The makeup of gasoline, in CA, is strictly regulated and according to the Regulators, has all of the detergents it needs when it leaves the refinery. Wherever you live, you might see if there's similar. Start with www."yourstate".gov
Old 06-28-2011, 02:11 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,260 Likes on 1,965 Posts

Only thing I have used is Seafoam or Stabil for storage purposes. Usually, I would drive the car so it isn't really necessary. Some Gas Dry in the winter is about it. No snake oils will go in my vehicles, period. I don't use additives in my diesel either except for anti-gel.
Old 06-28-2011, 07:45 PM
ks5shooter
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13

Techron freed up my gauge .Some may be farther gone then others.Ran mine down to empty worked fine.My experience
Old 06-28-2011, 08:42 PM
Dr_Shakalu
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Okay, I just bought 2 bottles of Techron, however, there were 2 different sizes. The smaller one was for gas tanks up to 12 gallons and the larger ones were for tanks up to 20 gallons. I'm supposed to put 2 bottles in but do I put in the small or large bottles?

Originally Posted by ks5shooter
Techron freed up my gauge .Some may be farther gone then others.Ran mine down to empty worked fine.My experience
Old 06-28-2011, 08:45 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Any reason you don't want to take the sender out and try cleaning it PROPERLY instead of relying on snake oil?
Old 06-28-2011, 08:58 PM
phlounda
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The snake oil worked on my 87!
Old 06-28-2011, 09:15 PM
pcolt94
Le Mans Master

Received 197 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by TWISTERUP
They mean use 2 bottles at the same time. I've known people that swear they've cleared up fuel gauge inaccuracies using 2 bottles to "clean" the sender--I've personnally never had any luck myself. As someone else said you'll likely end up replacing the sending unit, which isn't a bad job it's done from the top and you don't remove the gas tank.
I have had the same experience...twice. Save your money, if it is that bad, take it apart and clean it.

SunCr is correct.
My friend worked for a oil company and use to tell me about all the different brand trucks that would pull up to the same spout to fill up.

Last edited by pcolt94; 06-28-2011 at 09:18 PM.
Old 06-28-2011, 10:31 PM
93Rubie
Safety Car

Received 185 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by aklim
Any reason you don't want to take the sender out and try cleaning it PROPERLY instead of relying on snake oil?
Techron is NOT snake oil, GM used to recommend it for use in GM cars/trucks for years. Only as of recent did they stop, like past 5 years or so.

The sulfur issue is common in GM's and not under heard of in other brands, best way to avoid is find some Top Tier gasoline in your area and only buy there. Do a search online for Top Tier gas and you will find a website that gives locations near you. Shell, Chevron are known examples to me. BP, Sunoco, Exxon, are usually better gas than others. I used to run Sunoco all the time, then the station closed...??? Now I run BP.

Besides, a bottle of it is WAY cheaper than a new sending unit.

I can testify that is does work, my fuel gauge was inaccurate I used one bottle and all was well. I use at least one a year in all my vehicles.
Old 06-28-2011, 11:24 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by 93Rubie
Techron is NOT snake oil, GM used to recommend it for use in GM cars/trucks for years. Only as of recent did they stop, like past 5 years or so.

Besides, a bottle of it is WAY cheaper than a new sending unit.
IIRC, they used to sell it too. Ever saw a used car salesman that told you he sold a bad product? I'll believe it when they can show laboratory tests done at an accredited laboratory using standard test methods.

Assuming it works and assuming that proper cleaning won't fix it, yes. I would think that if you take it out and clean it and it doesn't work, no amount of "cleaner in a can" will make it work. In a C4, it isn't too difficult to get to the tank so why not? While you are there, in an older car, you can also change the sock which can get nasty and maybe even find out if there is debris in the tank.
Old 06-30-2011, 11:46 AM
Fast Cop
Melting Slicks

Received 61 Likes on 47 Posts

I had this problem in my C5 and Techron cleared it up. Have never had the problem in my C4.
Old 07-01-2011, 06:41 AM
ddahlgren
Melting Slicks

Received 64 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by aklim
Only thing I have used is Seafoam or Stabil for storage purposes. Usually, I would drive the car so it isn't really necessary. Some Gas Dry in the winter is about it. No snake oils will go in my vehicles, period. I don't use additives in my diesel either except for anti-gel.
You might save your money on the 'dry gas' you already have 10% from the pump...
Old 07-01-2011, 07:33 AM
pmihaltian
Slingshot
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr_Shakalu
On an earlier thread, I asked about problems gas gauges had with accuracy on how much gas is in the tank and what the gauge shows. I saw the post on how to take out the sender unit and clean it. Other people said to use Techron. Is this the Techron http://www.walmart.com/search/search...h_constraint=0
Also, some said that they used 2 bottles and the gas gauge started to work correctly again. Do they mean use 2 bottles at one time or follow the directions and use every 3,000 miles. Thanks, Ed
You need to fill out your User Profile
Attached Images  
Old 07-01-2011, 08:24 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by ddahlgren
You might save your money on the 'dry gas' you already have 10% from the pump...
Up to 10% is one thing. Not where I buy my 93 octane I don't or at least I shouldn't.
Old 07-06-2011, 02:06 AM
vetzs
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Techron cleared up my fuel guage inacuracy in my Silverado Pick up. It gets my support....

Get notified of new replies

To Techron

Quick Reply: Techron