C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

86 Power Steering Not Smooth

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2011, 12:49 AM
MBE111
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 86 Power Steering Not Smooth

I have an 86 that I have been working on for the past year and a half. Just recently have started driving it and am working on getting the bugs out of it.
The car sat in a barn since 2002.
My problem is the power steering. When driving the car, the steering wheel takes an extra effort and then smooths out with normal effort when making the slightest turn, at any speed. It is as though the ball joints are froze up, but they aren't. The wheels turn side to side when the car is jacked up in the air with no problem. I should also mention that it pulls a little to the right.
I sucked the power steering fluid out of the reservior and then cracked the lines on the steering tube. I ran the engine to pump out the old P/S fluid, it was really dirty compared to the new fluid that I put back in. I also flushed the system with diesel fuel for a thorough clean prior to the new fluid.
The cleaning and flushing helped some but the extra effort is still there when making a turn.
Is there a centering valve or a proportioning valve in the system that needs cleaning?
I think the right side pull would go away with an alignment.
I think the steering extra effort is more like a stuck hydraulic valving issue.
Anyone have the same symptoms? How did you fix it?
Thanks
Old 06-27-2011, 11:37 AM
leesvet
Safety Car

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by MBE111
I have an 86 that I have been working on for the past year and a half. Just recently have started driving it and am working on getting the bugs out of it.
The car sat in a barn since 2002.
My problem is the power steering. When driving the car, the steering wheel takes an extra effort and then smooths out with normal effort when making the slightest turn, at any speed. It is as though the ball joints are froze up, but they aren't. The wheels turn side to side when the car is jacked up in the air with no problem. I should also mention that it pulls a little to the right.
I sucked the power steering fluid out of the reservior and then cracked the lines on the steering tube. I ran the engine to pump out the old P/S fluid, it was really dirty compared to the new fluid that I put back in. I also flushed the system with diesel fuel for a thorough clean prior to the new fluid.
The cleaning and flushing helped some but the extra effort is still there when making a turn.
Is there a centering valve or a proportioning valve in the system that needs cleaning?
I think the right side pull would go away with an alignment.
I think the steering extra effort is more like a stuck hydraulic valving issue.
Anyone have the same symptoms? How did you fix it?
Thanks
This is a common ailement of rack & pinion....its called "morning sickness".

Fix it by adding a bottle of LUCAS Rack & Pinion conditioner and stop leak. The problem will go away immediately. Run the LUCAS in ALL R&P systems to prevent this.
This is one product that actually does what it claims.
Old 06-27-2011, 11:46 AM
DanZ51
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Yup, morning sickness.

I don't know about the Lucas (never tried it). When my rack went years ago, I just bought another rebuilt rack; complete with tie rod ends. IIRC GM had these racks built with the piston moving in aluminum. As it gets old the bore wears. Cold morning, or cold fluid = no power steering, at least for a moment. Rebuilt ones are usually resleeved (the bore) with a steel sleeve so they will actually outlast the OE.
Old 06-27-2011, 12:41 PM
oldalaskaman
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

lucas rocks

Get notified of new replies

To 86 Power Steering Not Smooth

Quick Reply: 86 Power Steering Not Smooth