C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

87 corvette couupe glove box console base

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2011, 11:43 AM
Maverick-thrill
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 87 corvette couupe glove box console base

If I have a crack in the glove box console base is there a way to mend the crack?
Old 08-04-2011, 12:33 PM
pmihaltian
Slingshot
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Maverick-thrill
If I have a crack in the glove box console base is there a way to mend the crack?
Purchase a fiberglass repair kit at your local Lowes or Home Depot. Repair the side of the base that will not show that way you can file or sand off any rough edges prior to reinstallation.
Old 08-05-2011, 04:11 PM
newbecorvetteguy
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it's plastic, another option is to get a cheep plastic welder from harbor freight and melt it back together. I've fixed a few things that way and seems to work fine. For best results, make repair from the side not seen as the other poster said.
Old 08-05-2011, 09:00 PM
c4sailor
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

J-B Weld is great for fixing the plastic parts.
Old 08-05-2011, 10:57 PM
leesvet
Safety Car

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

To do this right, pull the console out and turn it over. Clean off the cracked area. Get some 1/4" wire mesh and trim a piece to fit over the crack with 1/4 to 1/2" overlap each side. Use a pencil torch to soften the plastic like in welding and press the mesh into the wet plastic. Use a flat tool of some kind to smear the wet plastic over the wire so that its buried. Make sure the crack is closed completely when you start this. It IS permanent.

If you;re lucky the inside will be closed up and tight. The wire mesh reinforces the plastic so that it cannot break in the same place again.
I've repaird both door panels this way and they have held up for several yrs. Dash panels as well. This repair is the same principle as the cloth in fiber-glass.

If you;re unsure, practice on some similar plastic. Just be careful not to burn thru. Its easier than it sounds...

Get notified of new replies

To 87 corvette couupe glove box console base

Quick Reply: 87 corvette couupe glove box console base