C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

help tpi tp carb

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2011, 09:20 PM
icemaidenz
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help tpi tp carb

hi im in nova scotia we dont hve smog emmission tests etc to tend with for over a month now ive had the vet from hell code 33 spend hours testing and checking grounds replaced burn of mod and bought new map sensor boche one that cost a damn arm and leg still throwing code 33 was running real rich backfiring out the rearend first now backfiring into the intake now its turning over and not starting...replaced the fuel filter tested pump fuel rail etc etc finualy said to self enough is enough now i am simply going to get a bowl and carb and get rid of the whole tpi comuter nightmare.

soooo i have an 85 manual stock what do i need part wie to do this
ie do i need a different fuel pump distributor etc etc
earlier tonight i was busy taking off the twp headers and throttle body sooo i now have a ton of parts too including 2 burn off mods and maps that are fu=ine fuel rails header etc sooo if anyone is in need let me know
so anyone out there change from tpi to carb if so can you tell me what i need

thanks
deb
Old 06-17-2011, 11:25 PM
1986coupe
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you check the plastic vacuum lines on the engine?

Is the timing set properly?

What is the condition of the air filter?

Try this. Unplug the MAF sensor and see how the car runs. If it changes then you might have a problem in the distributor. If it doesn't then the problem is elsewhere.

Sorry but it drives me crazy when I read that people want to put a carb on a TPI.
Old 06-18-2011, 07:16 AM
icemaidenz
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default replay

[QUOTE=1986coupe;1577909058]Did you check the plastic vacuum lines on the engine?
actually i noticed one broke after i took off the heads

Is the timing set properly?
timing is fine

What is the condition of the air filter?
air filter was fine but was just replaced preior to the nightmare

Try this. Unplug the MAF sensor and see how the car runs. If it changes then you might have a problem in the distributor. If it doesn't then the problem is elsewhere.
i unpluged it at first made a differnce later on it didnt make a difference.

Sorry but it drives me crazy when I read that people want to put a carb on a TPI.
i know its not ideal but im a single mom that saved for four years i had the money in savings account makin a whpping 8 bucks an hour sooo i figured playing with a vet was worth the 8 bucks a month and if i ever needed to i could resell it...lol providing its running lol. Soooo hours and hours of fruitless labor at a shop i can not do.
Old 06-18-2011, 07:42 AM
BTTB
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Default carb

Go to --thirdgen.org---click on technical articals---all info that you are looking for.--

Last edited by BTTB; 06-18-2011 at 07:43 AM. Reason: error
Old 06-18-2011, 08:10 AM
mmracecars
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I myself would stay with the tpi,if you want to go the carb way,i converted my 84 to a carb.you need a regular hei distibuter(bought a new one on ebay for 60),a low profile intake(something like a performer),carb(i used a 750 vac sec,already had it),bought an edelbrock throttle cable bracket to hold the throttle and trans t/v cable,i used a holley regulator cause the crossram is only 13 psi.you might need a bypass style regulator to reduce the fuel psi down to 7 psi.heres a photo.
mike.
Old 06-18-2011, 06:50 PM
Crepitus
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

nice n clean Mike. How about a pick of the throttle linkage? Did you get it all undet the stock hood? Thanks.
Old 06-18-2011, 08:45 PM
mmracecars
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

just sold the car and bought a procharger for my 95 ,only have one other engine pic.the throttle bracket i got from summit,edl-8036,bought a cheap summit drop base air cleaner
it would just barely touch the hood went fully closed.
mike

Get notified of new replies

To help tpi tp carb

Quick Reply: help tpi tp carb