C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Hood Latch Handle Loose

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2011, 12:41 PM
MARKSC4
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Hood Latch Handle Loose

The latch handle unit under the dash has broke loose of it's mounting place. Anybody have a easy fix for this ?

Thanks in advance
Old 06-11-2011, 09:59 PM
BlkonBlkonBlk
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If it's like my 91 it's held together with a pin. The pin has probably slipped out of one side. Just reinsert it.
Old 06-12-2011, 02:12 AM
Calderone
Le Mans Master

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

it has a crossbolt, check if the nut is laying somewhere on the floor or under your seat

This might help somehow :

Attachment 48380576
Old 06-12-2011, 06:55 AM
MARKSC4
Burning Brakes

Thanks guys.

The problem part is the &^%$# little screw that is at the very bottom of the diagram. It is impossible to see or put in or get a screwdriver to.

I fought it for four hours. No success. you just can't see it or get a screwdriver between the loops of the retainer bracket and cables.

I appreciate your help, picture is very helpful.
Old 06-12-2011, 10:26 AM
Calderone
Le Mans Master

Mark, don't worry about that screw,im not using that at all
No retaining bracket and no screw, i'm using the bolt that crosses the handle only
That's all you need, now , let me know if the handle is loose or the assembly is loose as well. Here's a picture i did for you :

Name:  VsO9p.jpg
Views: 13
Size:  39.3 KB

The blue area is bolted to the frame, i believe its fixed.
The small bolt and bracket is to have both wires separated and tight (not in my cropped picture, im not using them at all)
Is the actual handle (green area) loose only ?
If it is , check the bolt that crosses it and attaches it to the blue area.
Bolt is on Red and the nut is on orange, check if its there,if its not it might be on the floor.
This happened to me and i tightened it and now works great.
Old 06-13-2011, 06:45 AM
MARKSC4
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the excellent info Calderone.

The blue piece has two tabs on the top. Those two tabs hook into the steel under the dash. Since the screw fell out, and I didn't know it, one of the tabs broke off. After that the entire assembly will not stay in place. The one tab will almost keep it there, but you really have to baby the thing. Without the screw the tab(s) can slide forward and the assembly comes loose of the dash.

Trying to get that screw in proved impossible for me. There's no seeing it, no feeling it, and my hands are cramped from four hours of fighting it.

So, I put some Gorilla glue on the portions of the blue that contact the surface under the dash, and hooked the tab in place. A day later it feels fairly solid, we'll see if it lasts. If not, I may drill another hole and add a screw where I can get to it (rearward on the blue piece and through the metal under the dash).

Thanks for the awesome input, this is a great forum, with great people. Especially seeing how much help I get on a seemingly minor problem.
Thanks again
Old 06-13-2011, 09:08 AM
Calderone
Le Mans Master

You're welcome Mark , i love this place and i have learn LOTS from all of the good fellas , it's been 4 years now (time flies) and i can't be more grateful !
Glad to know you fixed it , anyway try to crawl upside down so you can see what you're doing and i'm sure you can bolt it back.

Sammy
Old 03-01-2012, 07:53 PM
MARKSC4
Burning Brakes

Cruising season is coming and this is still really bugging me.

Anyone got an idea for securing the handle assembly to the bracket? The tab broke off of the top of the handle assembly. Do you think I can drive a screw up through into the handle mounting bracket?
Is there anything up there I might damage? Like wires ?

Last edited by MARKSC4; 03-01-2012 at 08:03 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Hood Latch Handle Loose

Quick Reply: Hood Latch Handle Loose