C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

87 coupe - no cruise, brake issue and vacuum lines

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2011, 10:07 PM
daveshea
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 87 coupe - no cruise, brake issue and vacuum lines

Ok, so I just purchased a very, very worn 1987 coupe with almost 200K miles on it. I have identified three issues that I believe are related that I need help with:

1: Cruise control does not work

2: Must press very hard on brakes to stop car - harder than any car I've had - pads and rotors look fine

3: There are several vacuum lines that appear unattached and are laying in the engine bay like spagetti - don't know where they reattach.

I'm pretty confident the whole issue is related to these vacuum lines. I've searched and searched in the forums, and I can't find pictures or a drawing of where these vacuum lines go to and from.

I have the 87 FSM so if anyone can direct me to the right area there I'd appreciate it.

What I guess I need is a sort of "wiring schematic" for the vacuum lines, along the sorts of the wiring diagrams in the FSM - the sticker on the radiator that some have mentioned appears to be gone.

Any help on how to verify the vacuum lines are installed correctly?

-David
Old 06-07-2011, 10:19 PM
tehcarguy
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the brake pedal feels anything like it does when the engine isn't running, it's most likely your brake booster. If you have to replace it, I feel very sorry for you as I've heard that's a huge PIA. Firt, check the vacuum line that goes from the top of the booster to the back of the manifold.
Old 06-08-2011, 07:46 AM
AGENT 86
Race Director

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

I have not found the schematic in my 86 FSM, good luck with your hunt.
This is an 86 schematic that I saved from the Internet.
I'm not 100% sure if 87 vacuum routing is totally correct to this, but if there is a difference, it would only be the purge canister lines.

This diagram is for newer than my 86, just not sure exactly what years it covers.

Old 06-08-2011, 08:19 AM
Muffin
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Wonder why neither of those diagrams show the brake booster. Dave the vacuum input fitting on the booster is also a check valve. Suggest you check it while you are sorting out hoses.
Old 06-08-2011, 03:19 PM
kyyote
Instructor

I don't know if this will be of any help, but what the heck, I'll give it a shot. I popped the hood on my 85 and took a little video of the vacuum lines. It isn't great, but maybe it will give you an idea. Here is the link, and I suggest watching it in full screen.

http://www.kyyotesden.com/DenGallery...0608122509.wmv

Btw, it is uploading, so if it cuts off, give it another half hour to finish uploading.

Last edited by kyyote; 06-08-2011 at 04:30 PM.
Old 06-08-2011, 05:22 PM
daveshea
Instructor

Originally Posted by kyyote
I don't know if this will be of any help, but what the heck, I'll give it a shot. I popped the hood on my 85 and took a little video of the vacuum lines. It isn't great, but maybe it will give you an idea. Here is the link, and I suggest watching it in full screen.

http://www.kyyotesden.com/DenGallery...0608122509.wmv

Btw, it is uploading, so if it cuts off, give it another half hour to finish uploading.
Thank you so much for making that video! After dinner, I'm going to look the car over with a friend, and use your video as a "follow along" guide. I really appreciate the effort!

-David
Old 06-08-2011, 06:52 PM
kyyote
Instructor

Originally Posted by daveshea
Thank you so much for making that video! After dinner, I'm going to look the car over with a friend, and use your video as a "follow along" guide. I really appreciate the effort!

-David
Glad I could help. If that gets you started but you need additional video, let me know.
Old 06-08-2011, 08:15 PM
daveshea
Instructor

Glad I could help. If that gets you started but you need additional video, let me know.
Yes, the video was really helpful - we realize we are missing a number of components, etc.

If possible, could you take a series of photos of the engine bay? Relatively close-up, a few feet apart, like you were going to photograph the entire bay and stitch the photos together.

The video was really helpful, but parts move fast or the camera shakes a little, or whatever. With still photos, I think we'd have this licked.

Thanks! I could provide my regular email address or download them from the website you used for the video if you'd like.

Thanks again for the help!
-David
Old 06-08-2011, 10:17 PM
kyyote
Instructor

I have lost my light for the day, but tomorrow I will have you more pictures than you can shake a stick at. I wasn't sure the video would be of any help, so I didn't do as good a job as I should have. I will get you some very complete pictures tomorrow, for sure.
Old 06-09-2011, 12:18 PM
kyyote
Instructor

Well, I went out this morning and took a bunch of pictures, and I redid the video. I would start with the video, and just pause it when ever you need a still shot. This is the link to the collection;

http://kyyotesden.com/DenGallery/dis...album=49&pos=0

If you click on the video it will blow up to full screen, and the thumbnails of the pictures will go to mid-size, and if you click on them they will go to a larger screen.

Last edited by kyyote; 06-09-2011 at 12:22 PM.
Old 06-09-2011, 01:30 PM
daveshea
Instructor

Well, I went out this morning and took a bunch of pictures, and I redid the video. I would start with the video, and just pause it when ever you need a still shot. This is the link to the collection;

http://kyyotesden.com/DenGallery/dis...album=49&pos=0

If you click on the video it will blow up to full screen, and the thumbnails of the pictures will go to mid-size, and if you click on them they will go to a larger screen.
Thank you so much for your help with this - it has proven to be a tremendous resource. To anyone else using these photos for help - there are a few slight differences between the 86 pictures and the 87 we are dealing with, but the differences are very minor.

-David
Old 06-09-2011, 03:10 PM
kyyote
Instructor

I'm glad I could help. I have gotten so much help from folks on here that I felt bad that I wasn't able to give back. BTW, mine is an 85.

Get notified of new replies

To 87 coupe - no cruise, brake issue and vacuum lines

Quick Reply: 87 coupe - no cruise, brake issue and vacuum lines