C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Flashing SYS where Fuel MPG Avg is On Speedo

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2011, 12:56 PM
kyyote
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flashing SYS where Fuel MPG Avg is On Speedo

I just got my 92 yesterday, and noticed that where it shows the mpg average next to the speedometer it is flashing SYS three times, every 15 seconds. The owners manual says that indicates a problem with a system. All of the guages look good. I asked them at O'Reillys if they could get a code, and they said only if the check engine light was on, and it isn't. Should I be really worried? Do I need to spend $100 bucks at the Chevy dealership to find out what is going on?

Also, at about 50-60 mph there seems to be what I used to call a cluch chatter when the clutch was slipping on a standard transmission. This is an automatic. Going up a hill it does this but stops if you give it some gas. On level ground, it seems to do it at speeds past fifty unless you kind of give it a little gas. Does that indicate bands slipping?
Old 06-04-2011, 01:42 PM
STL94LT1
Race Director

Received 81 Likes on 71 Posts

The flashing "SYS" could just be a weak battery.
Old 06-04-2011, 01:59 PM
kyyote
Instructor

Originally Posted by STL94LT1
The flashing "SYS" could just be a weak battery.
Thanks. I just did what I should have done to begine with, and searched. My lights don't come on when the door is opened, and that probably has something to do with it. Also, the PO has a push button start installed inside the console box as an added theft deterent. Works fine, battery is strong. So, the lights should be my first place to see if I can get that straightened out.

Thanks for the response.
Old 06-04-2011, 03:09 PM
jaa1992
Le Mans Master

Location: Life is just one big track event. Everything before and after is prep and warm-up and cool-down laps GA
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '12

Also if you search there is a way using a paperclip to get the CCM codes and see what they are.

Mine has an intermittent dash dim ground issue and it can cause the sys to flash
Old 07-23-2011, 07:02 PM
EGT1
Heel & Toe

Did you find the problem? I have the same issue, "sys" flashing and no interior lights when I open the doors. The interior lights will come on by the switch only.
Old 07-23-2011, 08:17 PM
Red Dwarf
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Read thru this site thoroughly...it will give you nfo on how to check the on board diagnostics.

Let us know the results.

http://www.corvettephotographs.com/c4vettes/index.htm
Old 07-24-2011, 11:12 AM
93LT1
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is their an after market radio intsalled? if so, then chances are the installer did not install the resister.
Old 07-24-2011, 09:29 PM
Ramrod92
Melting Slicks

Cruise-In II Veteran

This is the best info I've found the the SYS problem.... http://tech.corvettecentral.com/2011...trouble-codes/

Get notified of new replies

To Flashing SYS where Fuel MPG Avg is On Speedo

Quick Reply: Flashing SYS where Fuel MPG Avg is On Speedo