C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Trans issues....I hope its not rebuild time

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 02:35 PM
pghjeeper
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Trans issues....I hope its not rebuild time

Well my Vette seems to have its first real issue since I got it. I was driving it yesterday for a good while and toward the end of the day it seemed to be shifting funny, holding the shifts ( 1-2 mainly) out longer than usual. It also seems that the tourque convertor isn;t locking up in the 1500-2000 rpm range as well.
So today I took it to a local tranny shop and he pulled the stick fluid level was fine, color was good, no burnt odor. He checked the slack in the throttle cable and it looked ok.
So as I pulled out it seemed fine then held the 1-2 shift to 4800 rpm's, at not even 1/4 throttle. So I let off the throttle all together and it shifted normally, not hard or anything. I go to give it some gas and its seems like the trans is slipping the rpm's are going up not relative to the speed. So I put it in neautral for a sec and then back in drive and its fine again. I drive it home and on the way home it seems to be shifting ok, just holding the shifts out long. Also it seems to be running hotter than usual staying at 200 and even hitting 220 at one poinnt.
Old 06-01-2011, 03:09 PM
Calderone
Le Mans Master

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Might be some gum or something sticking on the valve body
or ...3&4 cluth pack gone , but doesn't sound like it
Old 06-01-2011, 04:25 PM
pghjeeper
Racer

Maybe the governor gear went south?
Old 06-01-2011, 07:41 PM
bwiencek
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by pghjeeper
Maybe the governor gear went south?
That's what I'd vote for - it's dirt cheap - like $7 for the kit last time I bought one and takes a couple of minutes to put in - real common problem on a 700R4.
Old 06-01-2011, 08:20 PM
87 vette 81 big girl
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Check the governor assembly.
Have to remove the large black cover on the driver's side right before the tailshaft housing where "C" beam attaches.
Pry the cover off with a large screw driver or pry bar.

Either the plastic gear went "South" or the driven gear is "Apple cored"
Or the governor valve itself in the center is plugged up with dirt & debris.
Spray the governor clean with carburetor cleaner.
Move each pedalum weight by hand & watch the center slide valve move up & down freely.
If not reclean it.
Re oil with clean Dextron ATF before reinstalling the governor assembly.

Goodluck & its an easy repair for you to do at home yourself.

Brian
Old 06-01-2011, 09:31 PM
pghjeeper
Racer

I called a local trans shop and described the problemguy says it seems like high line pressure. He said thee is an easy way to test it. Said there is a part that sticks and its a common problem.
I dropped it off to him and on the drive down it would be fine sometimes then others it would seem like the trans was slipping in the 3-4 range. I would put it in idle wait a sec then put it back in gear and all was good again. Guess I'll know tomorrow one way or the other.
Old 06-01-2011, 10:01 PM
87 vette 81 big girl
Melting Slicks

Not likely.

High line pressure issue.

That would be in TV cable - throttle valve assembley & the forward boost valve( reverse boost valve too).

High Transmission Line Pressure would slam you into the seat on each gear change.
Rear tire chirping & tire spinning gear changes.

I think its in governor assembly myself tonight.
Improper shift timing & won't upshift at times too.
Green plastic driven gear on the governor assembly is applecored, skipping around on the drive gear of the transmission mainshaft.
Or the main governor valve inside of the governor assembly is hanging up.

I am well versed with GM C4 700r4's after rebuilding my 87 Vert trans last year & blueprinted it too.
Brian R.
Old 06-01-2011, 11:12 PM
tehcarguy
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What year is your car? If it's before 93, you should make sure your TV cable is adjusted properly.
Old 06-02-2011, 07:37 AM
pghjeeper
Racer

I will update this as soon as I hear back from the trans shop today. Keep ypur fingers crossed for me guys....I can't afford a new trans
Old 06-02-2011, 07:46 AM
87 vette 81 big girl
Melting Slicks

Check the TV cable adjustment too as the The car Guy mentioned above also.

I say its in the Governor assembly yet.

BR
Old 06-02-2011, 07:30 PM
pghjeeper
Racer

Talked to the trans shop today from what they are saying and this is just with a test drive they didn;t drop the pan yet. He thinks its debris in the valves making them stick. So he said he is going to do some further checking tomorrow and get back with me. I told him drop the pan and see if there is any metal or clutch material in it.
Old 06-02-2011, 09:23 PM
87 vette 81 big girl
Melting Slicks

Old 06-02-2011, 10:55 PM
Blackwater1
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

good luck on the tranny mine is in the shop for a month on a rebuild with the clutch pac reverse its a 84 a 4 speed with over drive i'ev never seen anything like it gm said they couldnt get the parts and they subed it out to a tranny shop this is my first vette bummer of a problem somebody gonna make some serious cash got to wait another week still aint done
Old 06-02-2011, 11:20 PM
87 vette 81 big girl
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Blackwater1
good luck on the tranny mine is in the shop for a month on a rebuild with the clutch pac reverse its a 84 a 4 speed with over drive i'ev never seen anything like it gm said they couldnt get the parts and they subed it out to a tranny shop this is my first vette bummer of a problem somebody gonna make some serious cash got to wait another week still aint done
Hi,

Sounds like your GM dealership has NO Veteran automatic transmission mechanics left.

Why your trans was subbed out to a private trans shop.

Many small shops are good.

The service writer should have just sent you there with your trans to drop off in person.

BR
Old 06-03-2011, 06:02 PM
Blackwater1
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yep the smaller shop was cheeper on the quote about 300 bucks but i wanted gm to stand behind the tranny now what i didnt know they was going to sub it out wont make that mistake again (i hope) its been in the shop for a month now wanted to get it road ready this summer well thats going to be tuff doing all the work myself

Get notified of new replies

To Trans issues....I hope its not rebuild time

Quick Reply: Trans issues....I hope its not rebuild time