C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Dash trouble...

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 02:04 PM
pearlvett
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dash trouble...

Ok so the symptoms are as follows...the dash has been flickering on and off and reseting itself. When the dash flickers off the blower for the ac turns off. The horn also constantly buzzes when the car is off. So now i ask does anyone have any clue what this could be? Is it the bcm possibly? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
Old 06-01-2011, 10:34 PM
coupeguy2001
Le Mans Master

Received 144 Likes on 106 Posts
2021 C4 of the Year - Modified Finalist

sounds like a bad ground on the dash, and the horn relay may have a bad coil.
But I suspect that your problem might be in the wiring right behind the battery.
Old 06-02-2011, 11:07 AM
pearlvett
Racer

What do i need to look for after i pull out the battery? Is that where the problem with the dash and blower for the ac is?
Old 06-02-2011, 11:29 AM
engle1147
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

From what you've described with coupeguy2001. Sounds like you've got 1 or more loose/dirty main battery cables/connections and the voltage is dipping - which will turn on the blower motor and reset the cluster. Clean then reconnect the main cables. What year is your vette?

Old 06-02-2011, 12:52 PM
pearlvett
Racer

Its a 1985. So do i still need to pull the battery and check the wires behind it? Or is it just the main battery cable at the battery?
Old 06-02-2011, 01:05 PM
leesvet
Safety Car

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by pearlvett
Its a 1985. So do i still need to pull the battery and check the wires behind it? Or is it just the main battery cable at the battery?
check and clean ALL the wires on the jumping post behind the battery. If that does not solve the problem go locate the bundle of ground wires on a bolt somewhere near the oil filter and clean and reconnect.
Old 06-02-2011, 08:19 PM
pearlvett
Racer

Ok i have never dug into the electronics on my car so my question is what is the jumpign post? Also if it is the big connector that goes into the fire wall how do i get it unplugged??
Old 06-02-2011, 09:00 PM
HlhnEast
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Lee maybe referring to where you connect a positive cable when jump starting the car. My 85 doesnt have this feature. If you do end up taking the battery out, there is a frame ground that you will see. Go ahead and clean that too.
Old 06-02-2011, 09:26 PM
pearlvett
Racer

Ok so its not the grounds in the plug that goes into the firewall they all check out. We are planning on checking behind the cluster to check all of those grounds as well. Where are the grounds by the filter and the one behind the battery i cant seem to find them...
Old 06-03-2011, 06:27 AM
HlhnEast
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by pearlvett
Ok so its not the grounds in the plug that goes into the firewall they all check out. We are planning on checking behind the cluster to check all of those grounds as well. Where are the grounds by the filter and the one behind the battery i cant seem to find them...
My 85 had a ground wire from the neg post to the frame and then a couple of grounds leading off from there. You just about have to take the battery out to see it. Its on top of the frame. Are your blinker indicators on the dash lit all the time? If not the ground is probly OK. You may have a 12+ problem. Gotta run to work.
Old 06-08-2011, 10:51 PM
pearlvett
Racer

Well we cleaned the frame grounds behind the battery and my dash doesnt flicker all the time now...but it still does when i turn the ac on. The voltage also seems to be running pretty low. What should be my next step?

Get notified of new replies

To Dash trouble...

Quick Reply: Dash trouble...