C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

How do mice get in a c4 interior?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2011, 08:41 PM
black85
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Default How do mice get in a c4 interior?

I bought a new house a little while ago, and my Corvette's garage isn't as nice as at the old house. I have to keep it in a pole barn with a stone floor, and there are mice living out there. It didn't take long for a few to move into my car. Anyone have any ideas where they would be getting in the car from? There seems to be a lot of feces in the hatch area. All my rubber seals have been replaced. I was thinking the air intakes, but not so sure. I guess the key is going to be to keep them out of the building b/c they will likely destroy things under the hood as well.... For now, I would like to keep them out of the car though.
Old 04-28-2011, 08:55 PM
RollaMo-LT4
Race Director

Received 142 Likes on 117 Posts
2021 C4 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

They have no trouble at all getting into a car.
It's not like they have to open the door, as those critters can slip through a 1/4" hole.
Old 04-28-2011, 09:14 PM
Richard Church
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try putting moth ***** in and arround the motor. It might just help. Time to get a couple cats.
Old 04-28-2011, 09:52 PM
C409
Le Mans Master

Received 490 Likes on 334 Posts

......... Mice love Corvettes .......... Corvettes love Rats ... as in rat motors .................. ...........
Old 04-28-2011, 11:18 PM
proracr
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Shortly after bringing my '94 convertible home in January, I took the license plate off to replace a tail light housing and there was nice little mouse nest on top of the fuel tank right next to the build sheet! Little critters can get into any opening they can get their skull through, not that in mattered with my fuel tank.

We built our new home on a 1-1/2 acre lot that was a cow pasture for generations. Last winter mice came out of the vacant lot next to us and set up housekeeping in our crawl space. It cost us over $500 to get rid of the mice and replace the soft HVAC duct work they damaged.

Last edited by proracr; 04-30-2011 at 09:26 AM.
Old 04-28-2011, 11:24 PM
leesvet
Safety Car

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by proracr
Shortly after bringing my '94 convertible home in January, I took the license plate off to replace a tail light housing and there was nice little mouse nest on top of the fuel tank right next to the build sheet! Little critters can get into any opening they can get their skull through, not that in mattered with my fuel tank.
I had thought I'd seen something out of the corner of my eye for a week where I used to live...
Drove me nutty. Knew I saw something...just did'nt know what.

Finally saw a mouse run like hell around the room to the sliding glass door and slip between the 2 glass sections where the felt seal is ! and that is tight enough thatair won;t bow thru...but a mouse can.
One word...

Glue Traps.
Old 04-29-2011, 07:57 AM
jeffp1167
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

check to see if the cowl drain holes still have the hoses that close on the ends.
Old 04-29-2011, 07:57 AM
mediapirate
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That would be two words

One word...

Glue Traps.[/QUOTE]
Old 04-29-2011, 08:31 AM
black85
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Traps it is. I just don't see it ending. I live in a very wooded area, and I rarely go up to the pole barn. Every time I do there are chipmunks and mice in there. I don't want to keep my Vette in my attached garage b/c it is only one bay and full of other toys I use more.... I miss my old garage. Before I had a little house and an awesome big 2 story garage (with no mice!). Now I have the opposite. Little garage and big house. I will have to build a new garage here someday. What stinks is I just built the other garage a few years ago.

Those little buggers even got muddy mouse foot prints across my intake that was perfectly clean. I took it all apart and bead blasted it before the move.
Old 04-29-2011, 09:57 AM
70ZZ3 96LT4
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default moth *****

I keep small containers of moth ***** at each edge corner of my garage door on the inside right beside the metal railing. This was in addition to my cat staying in the garage at night. My cat has died, but I still use the moth *****. Have not seen any mouse turds yet.
Moth ***** will also drive away wasps. If I see wasps swarming around a shutter I insert moth ***** into the shutter and the waps find someplace else to go.
Old 04-29-2011, 10:42 AM
leesvet
Safety Car

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by mediapirate
That would be two words

One word...

Glue Traps.
[/QUOTE]

I was just waiting to see WHO wanted to point that out....
Old 04-29-2011, 11:55 AM
muzikmanwi
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I was told years ago about Bounce Dryer Sheets and even though I was very skeptical I did try it with several cars I had in long term storage. The result I found was after 2 years in separate storage units there was no evidence of mice in the cars but there was in the corners of the storage units. The other plus was the cars didn't smell like they had been sitting and still smelled fresh inside. Another trick is to set your A/C to max or recirculate so the heater plenum doors are closed to the outside vents.
Old 04-29-2011, 12:57 PM
redrose
Melting Slicks

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Default saw em leaving home

open your drivers or pass door...lay on the ground and look upward at the bottom of the door frame...on each door you will see two 'drain' slots, each slot ~ 1/2'' x 1'' long, outboard from the 'softseal', in very ez jumping range agl for mices, with a convenient ledge (top of rocker panel) for the lil tramps to run on/find the slots...mouse nests are commomly found in the c4 doors, but once inside the door they look for 'deeper cover' which is found thru the large (for a rodent) rubber electrical conduit that connects the door to the dash and entire interior.

if your vette is subjected to rain/washing/etc the door bottom drains must be functional (the rubber trim at window lower edge deflects only a small part of the water flowing down the side window, water intrusion into the door assy in copious quantities is normal ), but screens over the drain slots (screen sized for mice block) will stop 'em...even duct tape will do (take care to NOT stop water passage)

Get notified of new replies

To How do mice get in a c4 interior?

Quick Reply: How do mice get in a c4 interior?