C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

suggestions for an oil cooler/ install place?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2011, 10:26 PM
rithsleeper
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default suggestions for an oil cooler/ install place?

1989 ZF6 - I'd like to go with an oil cooler to help things stay under control for a track day. Figure I could do a trans cooler too...

What are some good dual coolers at a reasonable price with a fan? where are some mounting points?

I was thinking mount where my spare tire used to be, it may take some long plumbing but it would get fresh air and be out of the way to reduce clutter and a chance to get damaged. My car sits about 5 inches off the ground... so fresh air is hard to come by.
Old 04-14-2011, 10:29 PM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Received 560 Likes on 437 Posts

Originally Posted by rithsleeper
1989 ZF6 - I'd like to go with an oil cooler to help things stay under control for a track day. Figure I could do a trans cooler too...

What are some good dual coolers at a reasonable price with a fan? where are some mounting points?

I was thinking mount where my spare tire used to be, it may take some long plumbing but it would get fresh air and be out of the way to reduce clutter and a chance to get damaged. My car sits about 5 inches off the ground... so fresh air is hard to come by.
correct me if im dead wrong here, but dont the l98 cars already have an oil cooler?

And then they dropped the oil cooler on the ltx cars, and recommended use of synthetic oil?

Id like to add one to my 93 someday..
Old 04-14-2011, 10:48 PM
VanSpeed
Pro

Received 80 Likes on 50 Posts

I am not sure about a dual cooler with fans but your idea of putting it where the spare tire sounds like a good solution especially for a trans cooler. Maybe Bill at ZFdoc has some suggestions about a trans cooler.
I do not run a trans cooler on my 85 with a ZF. I did replace the original oil cooler with a air-to-oil cooler that I mounted up in front of the radiator. A picture is below.
Brian

Old 04-14-2011, 10:52 PM
rithsleeper
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

from what I can see it isn't that big and doesn't really do the job when driving hard for extended amounts of time. I'm thinking if I add another one with fresh air, not shared air, and away from engine heat, it would keep things alot cooler. Like maybe keep it around 230 instead of reaching 250-275
Old 04-15-2011, 12:00 AM
stevie1dr
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I put the oil cooler on my 89 up front in front of the radiator. I was running a front push aux. fan and eliminated it for the oil cooler. The car runs cooler with the oil cooler than it ever did with the extra fan.
I'm going to put in a trans cooler where the spare tire used to be.

Steve
Old 04-15-2011, 12:08 AM
ZBRA
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is what I did on my track car.

One hose feeds the brakes, the other feeds the oil cooler.

I have the cooler and wheel well for sale if you are interested.

Old 04-15-2011, 09:20 AM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Received 371 Likes on 307 Posts

For a variety of reasons I've always thought the spare tire location would be a poor choice for a cooler. I haven't seen data on it though so if you try it let us know how well it works. An oil cooler in front dropped my oil temps 50°. I was astounded! The stock "oil cooler" really is an oil warmer!

I added a PS cooler too. If you search my threads there are install write ups. I wouldn't use a dual path cooler. A thought, if your trans isn't getting that hot, use a radiator with a trans (oil) cooler built in. I have no experience with the ZF6. The radiator option would be easier than finding space for a second cooler and plumbing to it.
Old 04-15-2011, 11:31 AM
ScaryFast
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

The ZF6 does not need a cooler, surprisingly. It's about the only thing on a C4 that is built right, which is probably why it weighs 50,000 lbs. The rear diff is also fine without. I have also had no PS problems using only the stock cooler (LT1 car). However, I have upgraded the lines and PS pump.

Engine oil, however, is another story. I've been fighting with mine for years. This winter I moved my cooler from in front of the radiator to where ZBRA has his. I ducted air to it through the marker lights, same way. Within two laps I was at 300°. I had to bail out of my race on Saturday because I didn't want to fry my bearings.

I ripped open the front of the bumper to get more air and also put the water to oil cooler in my DeWitt's radiator back into the system ($88 of aeroquip lines later). I was able to stabilize temps around 280° and limp through Sunday's race.

I do not have a full shroud to the cooler, that is the next step. I am also upgrading to a more efficeint cooler (read: more expensive) to help.

I can't see how you could get enough air to the oil cooler in the spare tire well. I think you'll need the forced air from the nose of the car, or from some NACA ducts off the side. However, the C5 guys put their trans and diff coolers in the trunk with fans, so maybe it is effective enough.

And lastly, I would not worry at all about 250° or even 275° if you're using synthetic. 300° is where things start getting scary.

Get notified of new replies

To suggestions for an oil cooler/ install place?

Quick Reply: suggestions for an oil cooler/ install place?