C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

"SYS" Code?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 10:07 AM
GoodbyeGirl
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In III Veteran

Default "SYS" Code?

Hi guys,

My '96 Grand Sport has been stored in my garage since November. I have had it hooked up to a battery tender all this time and noticed last week that there were no lights on the tender. The lights were on several weeks prior, so it's not like it's sat there for months without the Battery Tender/charge. Anyway, I decided to start it up this weekend and it hesitated slighty but started up. Every 10 seconds or so my display is flashing "SYS". The car is running fine however I didn't drive it because it's just on comprehensive insurance for now. So we plugged our other Battery Tender on to it last night and the green light was on the tender at that time but this morning same thing, no lights. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-04-2011, 10:54 AM
STL94LT1
Race Director

Received 81 Likes on 71 Posts

Sounds like a bad battery.
Old 04-04-2011, 11:31 AM
PLRX
Team Owner

Received 501 Likes on 342 Posts
Co-winner 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C4 of Year
2016 C7 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

Oh yes, my battery tender killed my battery two years ago. I only use it now to charge the battery, once the light goes green I disconnect it.

SYS, your battery is going bad.
Old 04-04-2011, 12:34 PM
Sandpiper59
Racer

SYS is no different than a check engine but for different computers. It will have codes, pull the codes and see what they tell you before you buy a battery.

I asked the same question months ago, I got 2 "check for codes" and 30 "I guarantee it's your battery".. Pulled the codes, said grounded or bad courtesy light relay (imagine that since the courtesy lights weren't working). Found a wire problem, fixed it and no more SYS, just working interior lights.

By the way, I almost fell for it since my battery is really tired, only good for a few weeks then no-start and only good for a handful of cranks. Eventually I will get a new battery, but the SYS was NOT my battery, hasn't come on since.
The following users liked this post:
IHBD (02-13-2022)
Old 04-04-2011, 12:41 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

With the others. Do you hear relays clicking on/off in the car too?
Old 04-04-2011, 12:53 PM
GoodbyeGirl
Safety Car

Cruise-In III Veteran

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
With the others. Do you hear relays clicking on/off in the car too?
No, everything seems fine with the car except of course for the SYS flashing at me. Again, I haven't driven it since November. I just started it up this weekend and let it warm up good.

I'm taking the car in hopefully next week (weather permitting) to have it checked out. I just wanted to get a little education on what it could be. I've owned the car for 8 years and haven't changed the battery, so it could very well be that. I just thought the point of having a battery tender hooked to it was to keep the battery charged? The only other thing I could think of is a mouse got up in it over the winter and chewed something. I don't even want to think about that.

Also just out of curiosity, what's involved in changing out the battery? Can you do it without having to remove the side body panel?
Old 04-04-2011, 01:00 PM
Sandpiper59
Racer

Try this.. see what the car tells you first.. Make sure to scroll down to the section for your year..

http://tech.corvettecentral.com/2011...trouble-codes/
Old 04-04-2011, 01:43 PM
bac22
Le Mans Master

Received 186 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by GoodbyeGirl
I've owned the car for 8 years and haven't changed the battery, so it could very well be that. I just thought the point of having a battery tender hooked to it was to keep the battery charged? The only other thing I could think of is a mouse got up in it over the winter and chewed something. I don't even want to think about that.

Also just out of curiosity, what's involved in changing out the battery? Can you do it without having to remove the side body panel?
9 times out of 10, flashing SYS means battery is going bad and since you've had the same battery for 8 years I'm pretty certain the battery is on it's last leg.

You do need to remove the side panel to remove the battery, but that is very easy to do. I would suggest removing the battery and bringing it to a local auto store for them to test out, but I'm sure it's going and may just be easier to buy a new battery at this point.

The flashing SYS post is very common in spring after our cars have been sitting all winter.

Last edited by bac22; 04-04-2011 at 01:51 PM.
Old 04-04-2011, 01:49 PM
hman1987
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ditto on the battery solution. Same problem. Battery tested bad. Replaced the battery and had not seen it since.
Old 04-04-2011, 04:55 PM
dchildress
Pro

I get the SYS after mine has sat on the Battery Tender for a while. But to add to it, my headlight/key chime is very random at best (usually works when either very cold or very hot) horn doesn't work (assuming buttons could be relay) and some of my interior lights don't work regardless of buld.
Old 02-13-2022, 02:27 PM
Raymond B. Coles
1st Gear

Default SYS code.

My SYS code was caused by the CCU located under the dash. It was causing my car to shut off when it was being driven! It had to be repaired and/or replaced.
Old 02-13-2022, 03:56 PM
IHBD
Instructor

Received 1,682 Likes on 1,293 Posts
2023 C4 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by Raymond B. Coles
My SYS code was caused by the CCU located under the dash. <<Correct. SYS message is the indication that the CCM has a malfunction Code in it.

It was causing my car to shut off when it was being driven! << Total, 100% BS. There is nothing in the CCM that can cause an already running engine to shut down. Nothing. Once started, you can completely unplug the CCM, and the engine will stay running.

It had to be repaired and/or replaced.<< Doubtful. CCMs are very reliable. More than likely, it was replaced because of an incorrect diagnosis by someone that is not familiar with these 25+ year old systems.
But thanks for updating an 11 year old thread with your experience.

IBTL

Get notified of new replies

To "SYS" Code?

Quick Reply: "SYS" Code?