C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

FIRST intake for LT1s!

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 06:08 PM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

Received 402 Likes on 328 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019

Default FIRST intake for LT1s!

Seems like I remember reading they were in the process of developing the LT option. But today, when I looked at their website, it's listed as available.

Kinda surprised I haven't seen a thread on this. OTOH, you don't see many FIRST threads for the L98 option either.

Old 03-29-2011, 08:01 PM
tehcarguy
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A link would be helpful...
Old 03-29-2011, 08:11 PM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

www.firstfuelinjection.com
Old 03-29-2011, 08:28 PM
88BlackZ-51
Race Director

Received 41 Likes on 26 Posts

I would be shocked if they made the FIRST for the LTx. The LTx style intake imo is years ahead of the TPI intake therefore I am not sure why an LTx owner would want to add length to there runners.

Isnt the BBK intake available as well? C4 stuff is a thing of the past.
Old 03-29-2011, 09:21 PM
1989TransAm
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"C4 stuff is a thing of the past"

Not necessarily. The First system can be opened up to flow some serious air. Plus the runners are long enough to take advantage of "wave" tuning. In fact you can take advantage of the 4th, 3rd and 2nd harmonic waves.
Old 03-29-2011, 09:29 PM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Received 571 Likes on 445 Posts

Lack of an intake is one of the primary reasons we cant run lsx heads.

Of course, youd prob need a high rise hood also - since lsx heads are taller than SBC/ltx heads.

I went to their website and it didnt even have a picture...
Old 03-29-2011, 10:16 PM
mgroshong
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dizwiz24
Lack of an intake is one of the primary reasons we cant run lsx heads.

Of course, youd prob need a high rise hood also - since lsx heads are taller than SBC/ltx heads.

I went to their website and it didnt even have a picture...
what? we talking about the link posted in this thread? Look in the side bar on there site.
Old 03-29-2011, 10:18 PM
88BlackZ-51
Race Director

Received 41 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by 1989TransAm
"C4 stuff is a thing of the past"

Not necessarily. The First system can be opened up to flow some serious air. Plus the runners are long enough to take advantage of "wave" tuning. In fact you can take advantage of the 4th, 3rd and 2nd harmonic waves.
Sure they are. I am one of the rare guys who have spent big bucks to build a motor for a C4. Most guys if they are smart would sell the C4, and buy a C5 or a C6.

Besides exhaust, and cylinder heads there really isnt much new performance parts to hit the C4 scene. If you purchase a C5, or C6 there are tons of bolt on turbo's and superchargers for those generations. You cannot say the same things about the C4 generation.

The reason I kept my car was because I have always wanted a 500 hp plus motor under the hood. The C4 is not totally a thing of the past, but its certainly is getting there in relation to performance parts for the SBC1.

And who wants to try to make power with a long runner intake like the FIRST. I certainly had no intentions of slapping on that intake, but thats what makes the world go round, and round! Opinions are like ***holes. Everyone has one, and the above is mine!

Have a good night.

Last edited by 88BlackZ-51; 03-29-2011 at 10:21 PM.
Old 03-29-2011, 11:16 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Originally Posted by 88BlackZ-51
I would be shocked if they made the FIRST for the LTx. The LTx style intake imo is years ahead of the TPI intake therefore I am not sure why an LTx owner would want to add length to there runners.

Isnt the BBK intake available as well? C4 stuff is a thing of the past.
Why not you can make a bunch of power on a FIRST.
No superram available for those anymore really.

Would make a real fun stroker on the street.
Old 03-29-2011, 11:18 PM
lt4obsesses
Le Mans Master

Received 481 Likes on 261 Posts

Yeah, I don't really get this direction for the Gen II. I would really rather see a composite LSx style manifold retro-fitted for the LTx. Especially if would allow use of the LSx throttle bodies. I would think something like this would be more attractive to those wanting to build an LTx C4 motor.
Old 03-29-2011, 11:54 PM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

Originally Posted by LT1*C4
I can't even harness the torque I have now, why would I want even more of it?

Of coarse, this is all speculation by me. I'd love to be proved wrong and I anxiously await dyno results from FIRST, comparing the two intakes. Not just stock for stock, but more importantly, how the FIRST intake performs on a "built" LT1.
Don't build a 383 (or larger then).

Go lookup the FIRST thread started by Cuisinartvette around 2007. You'll see a comparison of built MR vs FIRST setups.

I admit though....Guys that wanna make power with more and more revs should look elsewhere.

This would be very similar to a superram with a bit more midrange. About the same topend (unmodified). Can go higher though.
Old 03-29-2011, 11:57 PM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

Originally Posted by lt4obsesses
Yeah, I don't really get this direction for the Gen II. I would really rather see a composite LSx style manifold retro-fitted for the LTx. Especially if would allow use of the LSx throttle bodies. I would think something like this would be more attractive to those wanting to build an LTx C4 motor.
Guess you didn't like my car very much after all!

The FIRST would have equal torque and out-HP what I built. Probably gain 30HP.
Old 03-30-2011, 12:41 AM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

Originally Posted by LT1*C4
Too late.
Forged, solid roller 396 already in the works.

I still stand behind my original comments. LT1 owners are not looking for an intake that limits their top-end's breathing potential. They want something that improves it.

I'm not trying to knock TPI or anything. It's a great intake and does a very good job at what it was intended to do, which is make low-end torque. But that's basically all it does. One of my previous vehicles was an '88 Iroc-Z. It had the L98 in it and I ran AS&M runners, a heavily ported Accel base, ported plenum etc. etc. etc.

It had torque to spare. It pulled like a raped ape from a dead stop. The trouble was, once it hit 5000, that's when the fat lady started singing and the show was all over. It felt like I just slammed into an invisible wall and the car just fell flat on its face.

TPI's are great for low-speed bursts in 1st and 2nd gear around town or maybe powering a big pickup or a jeep, but it's not exactly the intake people go for when they're building a motor with a "wide" power band. Not that a stock LT1 intake is the best choice either mind you, but the design is certainly a lot better than TPI when it comes to flowing air above and beyond 5000rpm...
Sounds like you're trying to knock the TPI to me. If you didn't want more torque, why didn't you built a 355 spinner? You contradict yourself. ("Why would I need more torque?")

You don't even know the potential effect of the FIRST in comparison to your modified TPI setup. You also don't know what every other LTx owner wants/needs. But you throw a pretty good sales pitch on what YOU think they need!

BTW...Nice looking setup.

Old 03-30-2011, 01:11 AM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

Originally Posted by 88BlackZ-51
And who wants to try to make power with a long runner intake like the FIRST. I certainly had no intentions of slapping on that intake....
Then, why post? No one likes to hear bashing. Especially when the basher is unfamiliar with a product.
Old 03-30-2011, 01:22 AM
Dr. Evil
Le Mans Master

CI 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
CI-IV AutoX Champ
CI-IV Burnout Champ
St. Jude Donor '07-'10

For years it was the TPI owners lookig for more RPMs. Superam, siamese runners, miniram, converted LT1 intakes etc etc. I had a 90 vette, a 6 speed to boot. It was slightly modded: headers, very mild head work, air pump delete, free mods, superam base, siamese runers, ported plenum etc etc. It ran a best of 13.31 at 106mph at Beech Bend when stock LT4 cars were running 106-107mph. It died above 5k rpm. My current car with stock intake traps 115-116mph at the same track. I'm glad that FAST did something new but unless I pull my current motor out and put it in a truck I wont be needing that intake.

I'd be willing to put a well built 396LTX up against a 396L98 with a tpi intake on it any day. Plenty of people have built 383L98s and watched as the engine ran out of breath at 4500rpm instead of 5000 when they were done. There have been endless debates about this and unless the laws of physics has changed in the last 20 minutes the TPI style is still more restrictive.
Old 03-30-2011, 08:14 AM
bjankuski
Safety Car

Received 474 Likes on 372 Posts

If you want low to mid range power (less then 5000 RPM) the First seems like a good intake. If you are looking for power above 5000 RPM the First would not be the intake of choice. The person building the engine needs to determine what their goals are and then choose a intake that helps them acheive the goal.

My opinion is most people with LT1 intakes would not want to give up the top end power potential that intake has for the low and mid range power of the First intake. That being said, to each his own.
Old 03-30-2011, 10:55 AM
93VettePilot
Pro

IMO, There is another advantage to running the first manifold. The intake runners are 1.75" and are much larger than a stock TPI. I don't think with runners that big that you would run into rpm issues until well above 6500. For 95% of people this is a high enough shift point.

In Lingenfelters book he states this about the LT1 manifold:

"In my tests, the shorter runner length exhibits poor fuel distribution during low engine speeds with high manifold vacuum when combined with high overlap camshafts. This is evident at low rpm, part throttle where the engine will surge lightly as intake pulsing affects cylinder filling of adjacent cylinders. The addition of the Lingenfelter superram improves this problem."

He also talks about making 550 hp on a small block with the superram.

I don't think anybody should be so quick to dismiss TPI style intakes.

Get notified of new replies

To FIRST intake for LT1s!

Old 03-30-2011, 12:16 PM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

Originally Posted by 93VettePilot
IMO, There is another advantage to running the first manifold. The intake runners are 1.75" and are much larger than a stock TPI. I don't think with runners that big that you would run into rpm issues until well above 6500. For 95% of people this is a high enough shift point.

In Lingenfelters book he states this about the LT1 manifold:

"In my tests, the shorter runner length exhibits poor fuel distribution during low engine speeds with high manifold vacuum when combined with high overlap camshafts. This is evident at low rpm, part throttle where the engine will surge lightly as intake pulsing affects cylinder filling of adjacent cylinders. The addition of the Lingenfelter superram improves this problem."

He also talks about making 550 hp on a small block with the superram.

I don't think anybody should be so quick to dismiss TPI style intakes.
That's exactly the point. Though Lingenfelter was doing a sales pitch for his SR, the FIRST is bigger than most people think. It's designed for a BBC -- and can easily be ported beyond 1.75". IIRC, it flows as well as a honed SR, meaning you can get SR flow with TPI torque.

For people wanting at least 30ft/lbs of torque, this would do it. It would pull like a 383 w/o building the whole motor. And it would peak at SR levels.
Old 03-30-2011, 12:22 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

id bet money take a stock or small cammed LT1 with a stock LT1 intake and an out of the box FIRST, run them down the track and the FIRST would be the winner.

Not everyone that mods is in search of high rpm.
The superram effect would be a good thing to have for the LTx street cars, at least someone is doing something aftermarket for these, how many threads do we see where people whine that noone makes anything for them? Its just a 350 it will take to mods just like anything else.
Old 03-30-2011, 12:42 PM
lt4obsesses
Le Mans Master

Received 481 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by GREGGPENN
Guess you didn't like my car very much after all!

The FIRST would have equal torque and out-HP what I built. Probably gain 30HP.
Oh Gregg, you know I love your car.

Quick Reply: FIRST intake for LT1s!