C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Throttle Cable Swap and Problems

Old 03-20-2011, 07:33 AM
Deepa
Burning Brakes

Received 67 Likes on 60 Posts

Default Throttle Cable Swap and Problems

I bought a lot of parts off fo a member here, and at the time I did not realize the LPE 58mm throttle body had the older throttle cable setup, while my 91 vette had the newer style.

I bought an 85-88 cable from wilcox, and its the oem gm part.

I got the cable installed (what a bitch...) and all hoooked up, but the cable does not open up the throttle 100%.

I haven't gone too crazy picking at it yet, but it seems that I am getting full travel from the pedal, but the cable is just a little too long to make this work.

There is a plastic sheath which prevents the cable end from pulling any more. I have been thinking of cutting this sheath back 1/4 of an inch, and that will give me a little more play, but only if the pedal isnt maxed out. I am thinking I need to shorten the actual braided cable and cut back that sheath in order to get full opening of my throttle body.

Did the accel pedal setup change when they changed cables? How hard is that to swap out to an earlier year if that will fix my issues?

It also seems the cruise control is no longer going to work correctly. Anyone deal with this before?

Thanks,

Mike

Last edited by Deepa; 03-20-2011 at 07:40 AM.
Old 03-20-2011, 08:50 AM
gp85
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the exact problem on my 85 when I put on a Holley 58mm throttle body.I could only get the throttle about 75% open. Don't cut the plastic sheath shorter.I did it and it did nothing to help.I needed a shorter throttle cable.For now I put on an old nitrous plate,which moved the throttle body just far enough so the throttle plates (butterflys) open to 100%.This also fixed my cruise problem.
Old 03-20-2011, 08:55 AM
Deepa
Burning Brakes

so basically you added a spacer plate in between the throttle body and plenum? I have a superram so where the throttle body bolts to is angled, and if i make a plate for it, it will mess up the angle for the acordian boot. Still an option to check out though.

I need to scope out how to shorten the cable. Maybe I can fab up something on the pedal end of the cable. If I remember, there is a little brass collar crimped/welded on the end of the cable (which the plastic retainer sits against). If I can cut the cable there, then get a new crimp on piece (or weld on) and figure out what i need to cut off, maybe I'll be ok.

I do have these at home. http://dratv.stores.yahoo.net/sooninthcaen.html

Its a make your own throttle cable kit for atv's. It seems the braided cable is the same od so those solder on ends may work.

I'll have to do some measuring and take the cable out of the car then try to shorten it. I'll practice on the old one a few times first. I hope I dont destroy the cable taking it out of the firewall like I did the other one.

Thanks,

Mike

Last edited by Deepa; 03-20-2011 at 09:01 AM.
Old 03-20-2011, 09:26 AM
gp85
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have not seen those cable kits before.Looks like it should work.What I was looking at was a Lokar throttle cable.They are cut to fit inner and outer cable and housing.
http://www.lokar.com/index.html.Check this out it might work for you.
Old 03-20-2011, 12:18 PM
Deepa
Burning Brakes

another possibility is making some sort of spacer to hold the cable back farther where it slips into the bracket. Or maybe even moving the bracket somehow.

I am thinking about a piece of aluminum which the bracket can clip into, then that aluminum is welded to the bracket once all of the measurements are right?
Old 03-20-2011, 12:25 PM
cgantner5150
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This is what I did when I installed my modded LT1 intake.
Welded a spacer made out of steel tubing from Home Depot to the original LT1 throttle bracket.

Old 03-20-2011, 12:36 PM
Deepa
Burning Brakes

I am starting to think that modifying the cable mount is the way to go. Just need to make it look good at the same time.

Thanks
Old 03-20-2011, 01:11 PM
cgantner5150
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What you saying? Mine doesn't look good? Just kidding. I was so anxious to finally drive it that it was a quickie solution. I still have to touch up the welds and paint it - just realized when I took the picture that it is starting to rust.
It does work like a champ though.
Old 03-20-2011, 04:42 PM
Deepa
Burning Brakes

Well I got it all figured out.

When I bought my superram, it had a plate bolted on to where the stock throttle cable bracket bolts to. It had 3 holes drilled/tapped for the bracket. This essentially moved my bracket 1/2 an inch closer to the throttle body and screwed up the travel. I removed the plate, and bolted the bracket directly to the superram, and all is well.

Full open and close, full travel, same with cruise control.

Thanks for all of your help.

Mike
Old 03-20-2011, 08:08 PM
vetteoz
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Deepa
it had a plate .... This essentially moved my bracket 1/2 an inch closer to the throttle body and screwed up the travel.
That is the bracket used to compensate for a NOS or similar plate installed between the TB and plenum

Get notified of new replies

To Throttle Cable Swap and Problems

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Throttle Cable Swap and Problems