C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

96 lt4 clutch feels funny

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 07:08 PM
A88FXRS
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Default 96 lt4 clutch feels funny

just started after 4 months in garage. clutch feels spongy and pedal travel is different. did run ok but shifts like clutch is dragging. where is hyd resevoir for clutch and bleeder ?? thanks for the help
Old 03-01-2011, 07:56 PM
78pacer
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The clutch master is under your computer. It's any easy removal with just 2 screws. The bleeder is on the slave cylinder underneath bolted to the bell housing. Mine felt like that last year until I added some fluid and pumped the snot outa the pedal. The pedal got hard again. Maybe I got lucky. If you need to bleed the system, there are threads dedicated to that. Good luck!
Mike
Old 03-02-2011, 08:19 AM
sailorsteve
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Do not let this go, you will eat trans internals (big $$) in relatively short order.
Old 03-02-2011, 11:32 AM
illenema
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

time to change out the clutch master and slave cylinders
After sitting rubber pry going bad inside the cylinders. just do it and be done with it.
Old 03-02-2011, 06:27 PM
IU-Z07
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by illenema
time to change out the clutch master and slave cylinders
After sitting rubber pry going bad inside the cylinders. just do it and be done with it.
Old 03-03-2011, 10:41 AM
jaa1992
Le Mans Master

Location: Life is just one big track event. Everything before and after is prep and warm-up and cool-down laps GA
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '12

I was filling my master before every track event last year trying to avoid the "no clutch" issue. Replaced master and slave when the new engine went in and no problems so far. I can let it sit for weeks without losing fluid.
Old 03-28-2011, 10:22 PM
LT4POWR
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Similar (but worse) case here My car has been in storage for a little over a year...I went this evening to finally get it out, and now the clutch won't engage. What do you guys think???
Old 03-29-2011, 01:30 AM
Gale Banks 80'
Melting Slicks

Received 388 Likes on 315 Posts

After my 96 GS was stored at the Carsile event for 3 Months or so mine started to leak as well. No body had the Slave Cylinder so I just kept adding Dot 3 Fluid. Drove the Car from Pen. to Washington State that way! When I would Park it I would over fill it and when I got back it would almost be out. At the Time GM was putting the Seals in the Slave Cylinders backwards I'm not sure if they ever straightend that out. I found a Carquest one that had the Seal in the right way, its still working fine. Carolina Clutch is were to get a Stock Clutch, don't get the Stage 1 I did and it slips a bit, its softer than the Stock GS one.
Old 03-29-2011, 08:15 AM
sailorsteve
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by LT4POWR
Similar (but worse) case here My car has been in storage for a little over a year...I went this evening to finally get it out, and now the clutch won't engage. What do you guys think???
This is a fairly simple system, a master cyl, slave cyl, and the connecting hose. Check your master cyl (under the ECM) and, if low, you know you have a leak. The master usually leaks into the footwell, behind the carpet, not easy to spot. A leak in the slave is more obvious. The hose rarely leaks. In any case, if you have a leak, the best plan is to replace both cyls, as you will then know what you have.

As mentioned, GM had an extensive problem with improperly assembled cyls, ask me how I know. You should avoid the steel, mandrel-drawn cyls in favor of the aftermarket cast cyls.

Get notified of new replies

To 96 lt4 clutch feels funny

Quick Reply: 96 lt4 clutch feels funny