C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Optispark

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 12:32 AM
RACER 1993
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Optispark

Hello,
I have a 1993 coupe. The optispark failed and I bought a new one off the internet, marked as OEM part. The car wouldn't even start.
I bought another one from someone else, marked genuine delco part.
The car starts and runs but has alarm right away. I checked the high resolution pulses with and oscilloscope and they look bad. That why I have the alarm.

There is a company in California called AIP that says they have these optisparks with circuitry they designed "that actually work" up to 8,000 rpm.

I would like to buy one that works, the job of replacing one of these is not hard, but it takes a while and I really don't want to keep doing it.

Anyone ever buy one of these? Unfortunately I kept the other two optisparks past the return date, so I'm stuck with them.

Thanks ahead.
Old 01-19-2011, 01:10 AM
rinosaur
Instructor

they don't have too good of a reputation here, do a search I think I read some bad stuff about them and how they are nothing special compared to other $70 ebay optis.
Old 01-22-2011, 11:33 AM
armysnipe
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

I also have a 93 coupe. When I replaced my Opti I chose the MSD Pro Billet. Originally I was going to upgrade to a Deltec / Northstar type system, but decided on the MSD. Although expensive, I haven't had any issues except I should have replaced the timing cover seals when I installed it. To enhance my upgrade I also installed a MSD coil and wires. My engine is also supercharged, so as far as reliability I can't complain. If I was going to do it all over again I would still go with a MSD Pro Billet unit, but upgrade to a newer style opti (not spline driven). Due to the fact that we are limited on timing chain upgrades and I'm running an electric water pump.
Old 01-22-2011, 03:05 PM
VtVette
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by armysnipe
I also have a 93 coupe. When I replaced my Opti I chose the MSD Pro Billet. Originally I was going to upgrade to a Deltec / Northstar type system, but decided on the MSD. Although expensive, I haven't had any issues except I should have replaced the timing cover seals when I installed it. To enhance my upgrade I also installed a MSD coil and wires. My engine is also supercharged, so as far as reliability I can't complain. If I was going to do it all over again I would still go with a MSD Pro Billet unit, but upgrade to a newer style opti (not spline driven). Due to the fact that we are limited on timing chain upgrades and I'm running an electric water pump.
Another vote for the MSD unit here. I did extensive research on forum after forum before I settled on the MSD unit for my '93. If I had a '94+ I would have gone factory AC Delco replacement as they already have the moisture extraction system in place but, my '93 missed this important update by one year. The MSD unit seems to be of very high quality and installed perfectly.

On a side note, the stock 90,000 mile opti in my '93 looked excellent inside. Once you've done one once they are easy to change. I think the Opti in general gets a bad rap.
Old 01-27-2011, 08:47 AM
radar502
Safety Car

Received 298 Likes on 227 Posts

In the last 4 years I have replaced three in c-4 I have restored some upgrades mostely stock I go with the real GM unit put a MSD cap and never have to think about it anymore .. Do need to put some good sealer between the cap and the body and the wire ends .. I have a 95 that ran under water, water was over the air intake never missed a beat. I have one now that wants to miss when cold new everything I think they work when they want to...Good luck... Anyway you go not cheep....
Old 01-27-2011, 06:00 PM
tblt44
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by radar502
In the last 4 years I have replaced three in c-4 I have restored some upgrades mostely stock I go with the real GM unit put a MSD cap and never have to think about it anymore .. Do need to put some good sealer between the cap and the body and the wire ends .. I have a 95 that ran under water, water was over the air intake never missed a beat. I have one now that wants to miss when cold new everything I think they work when they want to...Good luck... Anyway you go not cheep....
I have been trying to find out if the MsD cap will fit the stock unit.
I guess it will.
Old 01-27-2011, 11:18 PM
surfer93
Pro

Originally Posted by RACER 1993
Hello,
I have a 1993 coupe. The optispark failed and I bought a new one off the internet, marked as OEM part. The car wouldn't even start.
I bought another one from someone else, marked genuine delco part.
The car starts and runs but has alarm right away. I checked the high resolution pulses with and oscilloscope and they look bad. That why I have the alarm.

There is a company in California called AIP that says they have these optisparks with circuitry they designed "that actually work" up to 8,000 rpm.

I would like to buy one that works, the job of replacing one of these is not hard, but it takes a while and I really don't want to keep doing it.

Anyone ever buy one of these? Unfortunately I kept the other two optisparks past the return date, so I'm stuck with them.

Thanks ahead.
What do you mean 'Has alarm right away'?

Sounds to me like you have other issues, what codes did you get?

Do you have a FSM, that is a MUST have for 92-93?

What made you think it was a opti failer?

I have had my car for 6 yrs and never had an opti fail, I broke one once and I accidently dumped coolant in another, how do so many people have opti failers and then have other issues right after replacing opti, hmmm?
Old 02-03-2011, 02:55 PM
0ChandlerMotorsports
Former Vendor

Who did you buy the Delco unit from? Who did you buy the other unit from?

Also do NOT buy from AIP. They are previously All_Ignition and scammed a bunch of people.

Also, second on the what do you mean by "immediate alarm?"
Old 02-06-2011, 02:41 PM
radar502
Safety Car

Anybody know how to get LT-1 or 4 to fire right past 5500 ..Put mine on the dyno good up to 5500 after that fire broke down just all over the place ..The dyno dude says most LT-1s or 4s all the same some better most not..Mine is 1996 Lt-4 new GM optispark and GM cap MSD 8.5 wires new Bosh 4 prong platom plugs K&M 52mm TB MSD coil.. Tuned some out with the ECM but still not as good a could be. What's the cure??? and don't say C-5.... Mine red lines at 6200.... Thanks...
Old 02-06-2011, 03:10 PM
corvette95
Melting Slicks

Received 97 Likes on 83 Posts

sounds like you have a bad igniton control module
Old 02-06-2011, 07:18 PM
radar502
Safety Car

I didn't think of that..I have replaced a few on these c4s. I get a new one and try it.. The one on now is the one that came with the Vett 135,000 miles ago... Did make 312 RW hp around 5500 Thanks..
Old 02-06-2011, 11:20 PM
93pologreen
Intermediate

Default MSD Opti problem?

Originally Posted by VtVette
Another vote for the MSD unit here. I did extensive research on forum after forum before I settled on the MSD unit for my '93. If I had a '94+ I would have gone factory AC Delco replacement as they already have the moisture extraction system in place but, my '93 missed this important update by one year. The MSD unit seems to be of very high quality and installed perfectly.

On a side note, the stock 90,000 mile opti in my '93 looked excellent inside. Once you've done one once they are easy to change. I think the Opti in general gets a bad rap.
I replaced my '93 Opti with a MSD unit about 2-1/2 years ago (10K miles ago) and I'm now having problems with the car stumbling under load until 2500 rpm, then it takes off like someone flipped a switch. It runs great over 2500 rpms. I replaced the wires, plugs and coil with the MSD Opti.

I've had my mechanic put it on the computer (no codes) and I've tried a replacement OEM ECM, new chip, replaced the TSP and O2 sensors, but the problem still exists. I've been told it is the MSD Opti, but hard to prove without replacing the unit. Any ideas? I'm about the go back to the Delco unit without moisture control.

Any chance over gapped plugs (0.065") would cause this?

I also did not replace the Opti oil seal and had to go back and replace it later. Always replace the seal with the Opti.

Thanks.
Old 02-07-2011, 09:41 AM
jaa1992
Le Mans Master

Location: Life is just one big track event. Everything before and after is prep and warm-up and cool-down laps GA
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by radar502
I didn't think of that..I have replaced a few on these c4s. I get a new one and try it.. The one on now is the one that came with the Vett 135,000 miles ago... Did make 312 RW hp around 5500 Thanks..
I know the Dynaspark on my 92 would work past 5500 rpm, went to red line more than a couple times

THe new engine uses the second gen opti, I got it from Summit and it worked fine to 6000 rpm. Intake and cam held it back over 5500 rpm though
Old 02-07-2011, 10:01 AM
radar502
Safety Car

Thanks for your input .. The optispark and wires are all new and not cheep lot's of work too. I think I am replaceing the igniton module first ,the only part that I did not replace all the rest new.. This stock block LT-4 will pull to 6200 if I can keep the fire from pounceing all around . I looked at one of those Dyansparks went with GM . I hate to just keep spending money on this and come up with the same thing.. I'll keep diging..Thanks
Old 02-13-2011, 11:27 PM
NASSTY SS
Intermediate

THe new engine uses the second gen opti, I got it from Summit and it worked fine to 6000 rpm. Intake and cam held it back over 5500 rpm though [/QUOTE]

U put the Summit brand opti ? If so is it running great ? Thanks
Old 02-14-2011, 08:59 AM
radar502
Safety Car

I use GM parts when I can find them GM makes the best opti the cap MSD the eye is the part you have to look out for GM has the best years ago that's what all the LT-1 racers used and found it to work the best. I put a new igniton module and it works fine pulls hard for stock motor . Took off in first at a light kinda hard hit 2nd and the back 315X17 starting spinning had to let off gas cool . It pulls hard to 7000 can,t do that to often boom motor ..It dynoed @ 312 rwhp around 6000 few mods nothing big on motor it will wind to 7000 oops thing no rpm stop in this one. I am going to put it back on the dyno an see if the module helped . Not trying to make a hot rod out this one just strong runner so far so good...
Old 02-14-2011, 09:16 AM
jaa1992
Le Mans Master

Location: Life is just one big track event. Everything before and after is prep and warm-up and cool-down laps GA
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by NASSTY SS
THe new engine uses the second gen opti, I got it from Summit and it worked fine to 6000 rpm. Intake and cam held it back over 5500 rpm though
U put the Summit brand opti ? If so is it running great ? Thanks[/QUOTE]

Dyno pull, on and off the trailer a few times, weekend of racing - so far so good. No issues so far, but it only has a couple hours on it so far.

Get notified of new replies

To Optispark

Quick Reply: Optispark