C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Why do so many 383 Crates have Powdered Rods?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2011, 09:04 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

nd Im no stranger to turning wrenches, I "could" do it myself as far as building the motor and making it live

the only thing Im up against is what parts to put in...
Dont take this the wrong way, youre a good guy and all and have the enthusisasm etc

Appears what youre up against is lacking the experience in doing this. Im not trying to be a wet blanket or a jerk but there is SO much more to putting one of these together and doing it right than you know. It will cost less to have a pro assemble this than you could get the specialty tools for let alone experience.

A set of mics, tools or some plastiguage and forum surfing will probably get you a pile of parts you hate. Many many details to properly doing something like this you will only pick up from experience and making mistakes, trust me. You could get real lucky screwing it together but the odds are against you after spending how much?

There are some guys here that have been doing it forever that can take some basic stuff and make it run hard but they know exactly what to look for that only comes with many yrs of doing it.

Have someone do this for you this time around

Last edited by cv67; 01-12-2011 at 01:40 PM.
Old 01-12-2011, 01:07 PM
Crepitus
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you choose a builder close enough you should be able to look over his shoulder and learn a lot. Also learn everything here;

http://forum.grumpysperformance.com/viewforum.php?f=50

Yep everything! There is also advice there on amassing a very important element, your library.
Dig in and get hopelessly addicted!
Old 01-12-2011, 02:28 PM
RED-85-Z51
Team Owner

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette

Dont take this the wrong way, youre a good guy and all and have the enthusisasm etc

Appears what youre up against is lacking the experience in doing this. Im not trying to be a wet blanket or a jerk but there is SO much more to putting one of these together and doing it right than you know. It will cost less to have a pro assemble this than you could get the specialty tools for let alone experience.

A set of mics, tools or some plastiguage and forum surfing will probably get you a pile of parts you hate. Many many details to properly doing something like this you will only pick up from experience and making mistakes, trust me. You could get real lucky screwing it together but the odds are against you after spending how much?

There are some guys here that have been doing it forever that can take some basic stuff and make it run hard but they know exactly what to look for that only comes with many yrs of doing it.

Have someone do this for you this time around
And that is one reason why I really wanted ot just buy an engine. I was up til 4am this morning browsing forums, builders sites, etc...trying to find an engine that at least looks like it had some thought put in it.

I couldnt find a 383 that fit the bill and was "complete". The bill is forged bottom end, with good heads, and isnt just some bored out old block.

So I was borwsing Blueprint engines site and their 396 stroker has a forged crank, forged rods, forged pistons, Hastings moly rings, roller cam, roller rockers, ALiminum heads with 195cc runners, etc..

Regardless of their claimed dyno results, this engine, with the above parts, they say that they Square and parallel decked
Align honed main bearing bore
Cylinders honed on computer controlled machine to within .0002 straightness and roundness
Cylinders are sonic tested for thickness

And it has a 30 months, 50,000 mile warranty...

Even if it doesnt make the claimed power, it should be strong and for under $6K...something to consider.

http://www.blueprintengines.com/inde...m-396-bp3960ct

More importantly, its not on me to build anything at all...
Old 01-12-2011, 03:03 PM
kimmer
Le Mans Master

Received 60 Likes on 41 Posts
C4 of the Year Finalist

I'm no builder but that seems decent. My engine runs strong but I'm starting to get the sbc oil leaks!
Old 01-13-2011, 01:55 PM
RacerX70CC
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RED-85-Z51
And Im in NW florida
Red.. give Jason a call at Rollins Automotive over in Gainesville. They can build you what you need, and can work with regarding budget, etc. (and more importantly... it'll stay together). (352) 335-7223

Tell him Bob from Advanced in Cape Coral told you to call.

Quick Reply: Why do so many 383 Crates have Powdered Rods?