C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Lt4

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2011, 03:53 PM
pnewt
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts

Default Lt4

Looking at buying a 96 LT4 which has an opti spark problem per the owner. any idea what it may take to fix? 54k miles is not running thanks for any response paul
Old 01-07-2011, 04:00 PM
ch@0s
Le Mans Master

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts

It will take a new opty and possibly a water pump.
Read this and do a search for "optyspark". Are you doing the labor?

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c4-t...y-options.html
Old 01-07-2011, 04:02 PM
aminnich
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

How good a mechanic are you? Dealer charge is around $1200, about $400 for parts and the rest labor. If you are a decent wrench you can replace the opti in a day yourself. An LT4 is an awesome engine!
Old 01-07-2011, 04:08 PM
pnewt
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts

Default Lt4

Thanks very much - checked articles and think I can do it with mechanic brother in law. Did quite a bit of work on LT5 when I had a ZR1. hadnt heard of optispark name previously. Appreciate the quick responses Paul
Old 01-07-2011, 05:52 PM
tblt44
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

many blame the opti
It could be something else,If you get it don't just throw an opti at it first thing
Old 01-07-2011, 06:02 PM
dogfish246
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Check this video out... This is a water pump video so there are a few more steps (easy steps) to get to the opti which can be clearly seen once the water pump is out...

The opti might not be your problem... Mine has been torture tested with my daily driver and a water pump that went and soaked it... Its the original one too and its still running like a champ... Check to make sure the spark plug wires are going to the right plugs and are coming from the correct spots on the opti. In complete darkness, spritz some water (spray bottle) on one side of the block near the plug wires and see if you get any arcing (look like sparks)... There are many different things that it could be, are you sure its an opti problem?
Old 01-07-2011, 07:34 PM
ch@0s
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by dogfish246
Check this video out... This is a water pump video so there are a few more steps (easy steps) to get to the opti which can be clearly seen once the water pump is out...

The opti might not be your problem... Mine has been torture tested with my daily driver and a water pump that went and soaked it... Its the original one too and its still running like a champ... Check to make sure the spark plug wires are going to the right plugs and are coming from the correct spots on the opti. In complete darkness, spritz some water (spray bottle) on one side of the block near the plug wires and see if you get any arcing (look like sparks)... There are many different things that it could be, are you sure its an opti problem?
WOW !!!
I am an idiot i should have told him about your video. *poking self in eyes*
Old 01-07-2011, 10:11 PM
dogfish246
Safety Car

Originally Posted by ch@0s
WOW !!!
I am an idiot i should have told him about your video. *poking self in eyes*
haha, dont worry, I will post it enough that it will be infused into your mind... You will know what I say in the video and when I say it

Use it as much as you want, that is why I made it, to aid other fellow Vette owners!
Old 02-01-2011, 05:58 PM
Frankenvette 63
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pnewt
Looking at buying a 96 LT4 which has an opti spark problem per the owner. any idea what it may take to fix? 54k miles is not running thanks for any response paul
Old 02-01-2011, 07:35 PM
ch@0s
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Frankenvette 63
did you watch the video 3 posts before yours?
Old 02-01-2011, 08:12 PM
pmihaltian
Slingshot
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by dogfish246

Nice work, Dog; great video. Well Done !
Old 02-02-2011, 12:55 AM
dogfish246
Safety Car

Originally Posted by pmihaltian
Nice work, Dog; great video. Well Done !
Thanks! Its worth making when you guys use it and like it!
Old 02-02-2011, 03:02 AM
Pizzano
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

If your going to replace your Opti, you are better off replacing your waterpump right away also and save your self some time down the road, you dont want your new opti to become a victim from a leaky water pump down the road.

(all depends on how many miles are on the pump also , if you have a high milage water pump, just change it out now , because you know its going to leak, saves getting water into your new opti, even though it is vented for 96)
Old 02-02-2011, 10:29 AM
sailorsteve
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

All good advice on this thread, ESPECIALLY- be sure you need an opti before going ahead. This repair is not cheap and you should be satisfied that it is necessary. Plenty of diagnosis help on the forum.
Old 02-03-2011, 02:33 PM
0ChandlerMotorsports
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Definately pull codes first. Otherwise if you narrow it down and it is for SURE the opti we sell them very affordable. Check our signature link. We've got a legion of purchasers at ls1tech.
Old 02-04-2011, 01:36 AM
Pizzano
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by ChandlerMotorsports
Definately pull codes first. Otherwise if you narrow it down and it is for SURE the opti we sell them very affordable. Check our signature link. We've got a legion of purchasers at ls1tech.
Damn $89.00 for a opti, is that a refurbished or brand new oem, and are they the vented type.

Good prices indeed, are all parts ordered on Sunday free if the Pack wins the super bowl,lol

I tried
Old 02-05-2011, 10:05 AM
93cruiser
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Pizzano
If your going to replace your Opti, you are better off replacing your waterpump right away also and save your self some time down the road, you dont want your new opti to become a victim from a leaky water pump down the road.

(all depends on how many miles are on the pump also , if you have a high milage water pump, just change it out now , because you know its going to leak, saves getting water into your new opti, even though it is vented for 96)
My experience with Cardon wp has been dismal. Went thru 3 of them before giving up.
93cruiser

Last edited by 93cruiser; 02-05-2011 at 10:07 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Lt4

Quick Reply: Lt4