C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

How do I adjust the brake pedal position?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 12:55 AM
qwiketz
Melting Slicks

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Default How do I adjust the brake pedal position?

Hi guys. I'm in the process of trying to adjust the brake pedal position. It's currently too close to the floor before the brakes kick in. My question has to deal with the plunger on the power brake booster.

I replaced mine a while back. The box said that it was more than likely adjusted to the right spec. However, I need to adjust it toward the brake master cylinder more. To do this, how are you guys doing this? The plunger spins so it's not easy to adjust. In addition, it's tight in that area. I'm guessing I need to hold the base of the plunger and use a 8mm wrench to untighten it. Any advice or tricks would be great. Thanks!
Old 01-06-2011, 01:20 AM
oldalaskaman
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

is it possible you got the wrong plunger rod installed with your new pb booster and possibly needed to re-use the one off the original? or possibly even the wrong part? There's sometime a little adjustment involved but not usually that much. You might also remove it from the brake pedal, make the adjustment and reinstall it.
Old 01-06-2011, 01:31 AM
tpi 421 vette
Melting Slicks

Received 115 Likes on 67 Posts

There is an adjustment on the rod from the brake booster that contacts the master cylinder. I had to do the same thing when changing brake boosters. I ended up using vise grips and twisting the rod outward. My pedal was also low like you are saying. I can't remember if there is a jam nut behind it, but some vise grips will work. I would try to match it to the length of the old one, if you still have it. But you can just unbolt the two bolts that attach the master to the brake booster without having to undo brake lines. So adjust it out more and try it. If you a have to do it a couple times, it's not that bad.
Old 01-06-2011, 01:51 AM
samsonb
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Unbolt the master. Push down on the brake pedal and have have someone hold it. That way the push rod is sticking out of the booster so you can get a vice grip to hold the rod while you unscrew the screw. Then it is trial and error if you have the rod out enough but not too far. You can put some grease on the end of the rod. Then bolt the master down, unbolt to see how close the rod is to the master. I think there is an actual gauge you are supposed to use for adjustment. But I think you just want to get the rod close to the master with just a small gap between.
Old 01-06-2011, 08:13 AM
kimmer
Le Mans Master

Received 60 Likes on 41 Posts
C4 of the Year Finalist

Dumb question but did you bleed your lines?
Old 01-06-2011, 08:14 AM
ddahlgren
Melting Slicks

Received 64 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by qwiketz
Hi guys. I'm in the process of trying to adjust the brake pedal position. It's currently too close to the floor before the brakes kick in. My question has to deal with the plunger on the power brake booster.

I replaced mine a while back. The box said that it was more than likely adjusted to the right spec. However, I need to adjust it toward the brake master cylinder more. To do this, how are you guys doing this? The plunger spins so it's not easy to adjust. In addition, it's tight in that area. I'm guessing I need to hold the base of the plunger and use a 8mm wrench to untighten it. Any advice or tricks would be great. Thanks!
What year is your car would be my first question if a 90-91 they use a different booster than other years. I have been all through this a while back. The earlier cars did not have the ecu mounted under the hood with a bracket bolted between the master and booster so everything at that end needs to be about 1/4 inch longer than 89 and earlier.
Dave
Old 01-06-2011, 09:46 AM
C409
Le Mans Master

Received 490 Likes on 334 Posts

You say you replaced the booster a while back ... was this a problem right away ? If not , try retightening the attaching nuts under the dash ... I had some that came loose just slightly and snugging them up made a WORLD of difference ... I actually double-nutted them and havent had a problem since ..........
Old 01-06-2011, 12:00 PM
Blue95C4
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just replaced the brake booster and the clutch and brake petal lined up, but The switch that turns on/off the brake lights is a good half inch away from the tab on the brake petal. Did I do something wrong ?

This is a 95 six speed and I don't see any gap between the firewall and the booster.

Thanks

Don in Huntsville
Old 01-06-2011, 02:22 PM
C409
Le Mans Master

The brake light and cruise switches are push / pull to adjust ... you probably moved it inadvertently while working under the dash .......
Old 01-06-2011, 02:35 PM
Blue95C4
Instructor

Originally Posted by ddahlgren
The earlier cars did not have the ecu mounted under the hood with a bracket bolted between the master and booster so everything at that end needs to be about 1/4 inch longer than 89 and earlier.
Dave
Dave, You hit it.

The Advance Auto Parts / CARDONE ( 54-71405 ) Booster is 1/4 inch shorter than my stock booster. At the switch, that is over 1/2 inch difference.

This time I unhooked the hydraulic lines and moved the master cylinder out of the way, and it's much much easier this way.

Don in Huntsville
Old 01-06-2011, 02:38 PM
Blue95C4
Instructor

Originally Posted by C409
The brake light and cruise switches are push / pull to adjust ... you probably moved it inadvertently while working under the dash .......
How hard are these things to push/pull ? Do you turn them 90 degrees or what ?

Don in Huntsville
Old 01-06-2011, 06:14 PM
Blue95C4
Instructor

Advance Auto said that 54-71405 was the right part #.

After looking at everything, I decided that it should work.

I reinstalled the booster and reset the cruise and brake switches and
all is well again. When I moved the switches forward I recalled hearing the same sound the day before when I was upside down under the dash. I had moved the switches without realizing it.

I removed the brake lines, but after hooking everything up again, the petal got hard at about the right place. I think any air in the lines will work itself out after sitting a few hours.

I appreciate everyone's help.

Don in Huntsville
Old 01-06-2011, 07:55 PM
samsonb
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Blue95C4
Advance Auto said that 54-71405 was the right part #.

After looking at everything, I decided that it should work.

I reinstalled the booster and reset the cruise and brake switches and
all is well again. When I moved the switches forward I recalled hearing the same sound the day before when I was upside down under the dash. I had moved the switches without realizing it.

I removed the brake lines, but after hooking everything up again, the petal got hard at about the right place. I think any air in the lines will work itself out after sitting a few hours.

I appreciate everyone's help.

Don in Huntsville
What you do is push the switches towards the front of the car. Then you pull back on the brake pedal till the clicking sound quits. That should reset the cruise and brake light switch.
Old 01-06-2011, 09:07 PM
tequilaboy
Melting Slicks

Received 256 Likes on 214 Posts

When adjusting the output pushrod for length via the vice-grip method, be sure to keep the booster applied until after the vice grips are released.

The output rod is only retained in its bore by this radial spring clip, and it is very easy to separate from the diaphragm, if the booster is allowed to return.

Name:  DSCN2111.jpg
Views: 1866
Size:  89.6 KB

Name:  DSCN2120.jpg
Views: 1805
Size:  142.5 KB

Name:  DSCN2110.jpg
Views: 2052
Size:  87.6 KB

Last edited by tequilaboy; 01-06-2011 at 09:11 PM.
Old 01-06-2011, 09:31 PM
C409
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Blue95C4
How hard are these things to push/pull ? Do you turn them 90 degrees or what ?

Don in Huntsville
....... Push down on the brake pedal and push the stoplight switch toward the pedal ... you will hear it click as the threaded portion passes through the switch mounting clip ... its not an easy push ... then pull the brake pedal back ( up ) against the switch til it stops clicking ... not too much force , might damage the booster .............
Old 01-06-2011, 09:45 PM
pcolt94
Le Mans Master

Received 197 Likes on 172 Posts

The actuator rod from the booster might be out of adjustment. If to short will cause excess brake travel. If it is to long it will depress the masters piston and activate the brakes. Unbolt and pull back the master. Check the length of the rod. It should be approximately just below the imaginary surface line of the booster. It needs approximately 1/8 inch of clearance to the master due to heat expansion of the parts.

When adjusting the rod end bolt, the rod had to be held and the nut turned, in to shorten. I clamp the rod with thin vice grips VERY LIGHTLY and adjust nut. Depress the brake pedal half way down to get the rod out in the open so it can be worked on easily.

Jack the front up before you start. Then unbolt the master and make adjustments. After adjusting (if necessary) the rod, re-check brakes pedal and wheel rotation for dragging. Might take a few tries
Old 01-07-2011, 02:08 PM
qwiketz
Melting Slicks

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by pcolt94
The actuator rod from the booster might be out of adjustment. If to short will cause excess brake travel. If it is to long it will depress the masters piston and activate the brakes. Unbolt and pull back the master. Check the length of the rod. It should be approximately just below the imaginary surface line of the booster. It needs approximately 1/8 inch of clearance to the master due to heat expansion of the parts.

When adjusting the rod end bolt, the rod had to be held and the nut turned, in to shorten. I clamp the rod with thin vice grips VERY LIGHTLY and adjust nut. Depress the brake pedal half way down to get the rod out in the open so it can be worked on easily.

Jack the front up before you start. Then unbolt the master and make adjustments. After adjusting (if necessary) the rod, re-check brakes pedal and wheel rotation for dragging. Might take a few tries
Thanks for the advice everyone. Depressing the pedal half way is the trick I was looking for. I was able to do it a little yesterday on my own, but with the girlfriend pushing on the pedal, it should be much easier.

Get notified of new replies

To How do I adjust the brake pedal position?

Quick Reply: How do I adjust the brake pedal position?