C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

91 Corvette courtesy light problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2011, 05:24 PM
pmihaltian
Slingshot
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Default 91 Corvette courtesy light problems

91 roadster's interior lights stay on all the time and can not be shut off sans disconnecting the lights or the battery.

I believe that the courtesy light delay module for a 1991 L98 is controlled by the CCM, Can anyone verify this or help with the location of the interior and courtesy lights controller or relay?
Old 01-03-2011, 05:37 PM
gilsfour
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default interior lights

As a precaution, make sure the interior dimmer control switch is not in the "always on" position before doing anything else. Take it from someone who had this happen on his 91.
Old 01-03-2011, 06:05 PM
OkieC4
Instructor

You are correct. According to my 91 FSM, the courtesy lamp relay is energized by the CCM whenever the l/h or r/h door is open. The courtesy lamp relay is located below the r/h side of the i/p in a 2 relay bracket. The other relay will be for the fog lights.

FSM indicates the following :

A defective door key switch may keep Courtesy Lamps on. Also, check CCM for Code 25 -if found, t/s CCM faults.

Disconnect Light Switch Connector C1 - Lights off? Yes, bad switch.
Remove Courtesy Light Relay - Lights off? Yes, bad relay or wiring problems.
Old 01-03-2011, 06:31 PM
HlhnEast
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by OkieC4
You are correct. According to my 91 FSM, the courtesy lamp relay is energized by the CCM whenever the l/h or r/h door is open. The courtesy lamp relay is located below the r/h side of the i/p in a 2 relay bracket. The other relay will be for the fog lights.

A defective door key switch may keep Courtesy Lamps on. Also, check CCM for Code 25 -if found, t/s CCM faults.

Where was this info found? In the electrical flow charts? Curious as I have an '85 with the same problem. I havent checked any of the switches yet except the head lamp switch and I am looking at it hopefully to solve my dash light problems.
Old 01-03-2011, 06:49 PM
OkieC4
Instructor

The info was in my 91 FSM Electrical Supplement Section 8A-114 and on 8A-114-8 Chart #3 for Courtesy Lamps Always On.

I scanned the chart, but for some reason, I can't post an attachment.
Old 01-04-2011, 10:27 AM
pmihaltian
Slingshot
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by OkieC4

Thanks, Okie. I appreciate your help.
Old 01-04-2011, 12:04 PM
OkieC4
Instructor

Here are the wiring checks if you need them from t/s Chart 3...

Remove Courtesy Lamp Relay - Lights Off?

No - Repair short to ground in CKT 156. (White wires from individual lamps to relay Term 1)

Yes - LH Door Closed, Connect test light between Term C12 of the CCM Module Grey Connector and B+.

Is test light on?

Yes - Check for short to ground in CKT 745. (Blk/Yel wire from CCM C12 to l/h door ajar switch). If ok, replace left door ajar switch.

No - Connect the test light between Term D16 of the same connector and B+. RH door closed.

Is test light on?

Yes - Check for short to ground in CKT 746. (Blk/Wht wire from CCM D16 to r/h door ajar switch). If ok, replace right door ajar switch.

No - Check for the presence of ground at Courtesy Lamp Relay Term 2. If present, check for short to ground in CKT 690. (Gry/Blk wire between relay term 2 and D12 of CCM grey connector). If not shorted to ground, replace CCM. If ground was not present, replace the Courtesy Lamp Relay.

Good luck..
Old 01-04-2011, 12:07 PM
jeffp1167
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by pmihaltian
Thanks, Okie. I appreciate your help.
On my 90 in the door jambs the door switch contacts something on the door jamb area (missing on mine and replaced with glued on pennies) anyways if it is missing lights will always be on.
Old 01-05-2011, 08:26 PM
Moonlk
Heel & Toe

Check your door lock cylinders. If the key is removed with the lock not in the upright position, the lights will stay on. My '93 had the same problem. Put the key in the door locks and repositioned the cylinder and the lights went out.
Old 01-22-2011, 01:51 AM
Stryker7
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Moonlk
Check your door lock cylinders. If the key is removed with the lock not in the upright position, the lights will stay on. My '93 had the same problem. Put the key in the door locks and repositioned the cylinder and the lights went out.
On a related vein...I just bought a '93 and have been troubleshooting a H/C25 code on my CCM (SYS flashing)...I removed a sick sounding buzzer when I first bought the car because it was driving me nuts. I found it just under the glove box. As I started driving it more in the dark I realized that my courtsey lights dont come on when I open either door. My first target was the fuse block and just today I located / replaced a blown LH courtesy 5A fuse. The courtesy lights still wont come on (only when I pop the hatch). All other CCM and Courtesy fuses are good.
Old 01-22-2011, 04:08 PM
OkieC4
Instructor

If your 93's courtesy lights are wired the same as my 91, the 91 FSM states CCM Code 25 fault is: Courtesy Lamp Relay Coil Circuit Open or Shorted to Ground. The relay may have failed and took out the fuse with it. I would check the relay.

Get notified of new replies

To 91 Corvette courtesy light problems

Quick Reply: 91 Corvette courtesy light problems