C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

wheel bearings from a newer year?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2010, 11:03 PM
Bensons86
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 5 Posts

Default wheel bearings from a newer year?

I will need to replace my wheel bearings soon as they have a lot of play. a couple of questions.

1. can they go bad just from setting in one spot too long

2. my 86 would require adapters to run millennium wheels, which I have on there now. If I have to replace the bearings anyways, is it possible just to upgrade to, say and 89 wheel bearing instead so that I don't have to run an adapter? That might be a really dumb question, but is there any reason that wouldn't work? In other words, is it the actual hub and bearings that make the difference, or is there something else to it?

Thanks
Old 12-09-2010, 11:30 PM
oldalaskaman
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I like your thinking, dont know enough to help you though I will be watching this thread, good luck , bob
Old 12-09-2010, 11:36 PM
Charleston2012
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bearings do nothing for you when it comes to wheels you use. ABS is the only issue. The rears are all the same. The front are 84-91? 92-96?
But, width wise, if you are thinking the bearing will change anything with width, it is more involved than that. The 88-96 spindles are 13mm longer, and the knuckles are different in the rear. So, for the rear you need almost the entire rear suspension to achieve your widening goal.
Old 12-10-2010, 12:56 PM
CFI-EFI
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by charleston2012
bearings do nothing for you when it comes to wheels you use. Abs is the only issue. The rears are all the same. The front are 84-91? 92-96?
But, width wise, if you are thinking the bearing will change anything with width, it is more involved than that. The 88-96 spindles are 13mm longer, and the knuckles are different in the rear. So, for the rear you need almost the entire rear suspension to achieve your widening goal.
not the whole rear suspension.... Just the knuckles and spindles. The wheel bearings are the same or interchangeable.

Race on!!!
Jim
Old 12-10-2010, 02:38 PM
Charleston2012
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CFI-EFI
not the whole rear suspension.... Just the knuckles and spindles. The wheel bearings are the same or interchangeable.

Race on!!!
Jim
True Jim. I would just get the correct offset wheels.

Get notified of new replies

To wheel bearings from a newer year?

Quick Reply: wheel bearings from a newer year?