C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Delco Bose---Lets change the Display Color

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2010, 03:43 PM
8valve
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Delco Bose---Lets change the Display Color

My 87 Coupe had the original Delco Bose Cassette Radio. The Cassette player would not work, and I wanted a CD Player. I found that a 1995 Camero, Delco Bose with CD was a Plug N Play using a adapter cable to go from old to new plugs. I found a adapter cable on Ebay for $7.95. I also swapped the ***** with my Corvette *****. Everything truly was Plug N Play,less that 10 minutes to install and check out. However, I had one serious problem. My A/C display was Green Segments and the Camero Radio was fluorescent Blue Display. It looked terrible, with the mis-match of display colors. A Corvette cant live with this mis-match.

I went to Wikipedia and searched on GREEN. I learned that the color green is made from Yellow and Blue. I already have Blue, I need to add Yellow. What yellow can I use ? Yup, a Transparent Yellow hanging file folder tab. I took a yellow file folder tab (which are double thick) and tried holding a single thickness in front of the Bose Blue Display. Walla....Its now a green display, but to light a green. I then tried a yellow file tab and used it double thick. It was a perfect match for the 87 Corvette AC Green Display. All I have to do now is open the Delco Bose radio and insert the Yellow File tab in front of the blue display. It would be sandwiched between the display and the front dark protective cover.

Opening the Delco Bose Camero radio is strictly a mechanical operation, you dont need to be a electronic tech. But you do need to be able to work in small spaces, observe how you take it apart so you can reassemble it. You will have to unplug 2 ribbon cables and 2 wire plugs. The ribbon cables can only go back one way. The large plug can only plug in one way. The smaller 4 wire plug can be inserted right or turned 180 degrees. NOTE the markings on the plug to get it back in right. I have had a sub hobby of electronics/amatuer radio for 50 years, so I feel comfortable with this job. Now re-read this last paragraph till you understand what your getting into. This radio is like a Bar Puzzle, if you cant pay attention.
If you dont feel comfortable, DONT DO IT, find someone to help you.

Lets get started.......
You will find 4 screws that hold the top cover in place on the radio ( remove them) The cover will lift off after you slide the REAR plug out of the slot. With the cover off, unsnap the 8 plastic snaps holding on the front panel. Now unplug the two ribbon cables, unplug the large plug. Carefully make note of the orientation of the 4 wire plug for re-assembly later. The front panel is now free and seperate from the radio. On the back of the panel, you will see 3 tiny hex head screws and a plastic clip. Remove these hex head screws, unsnap the clip. You can now fold the actual display out of the way. Clean the surface of the display with alcohol. Trim your double thick Yellow file tab, clean with alcohol. I used a hot glue gun to put a small dot of glue in each corner of the yellow file tab while holding it centered on the display. Thats IT !! Now reverse the above dis-assembly
and assemble the radio.

Make sure you insert the 2 ribbon cables into the sockets all the way. They will push in about .250". Plug in the large plug. Check and double check the orientation of the 4 pin plug so its plugged in correct. You can make a mistake and plug it in 180 degrees wrong. Put the top cover on and screw her down. If you find that a Big Hammer, Plasma Torch or Mig Welder is required to assemble.....you have made a dreadful mistake LOL!!!!!

The following pictures tell the story. You can see in the picture with all lights off the Green AC display now is a perfect match for the radio display. I started this job at exactly 12 noon and was done, including some mods to my Kwik Lift at 2:23pm. Its easy, JUST PAY ATTENTION and dont use force. I am so happy, I could crack a smile......albeit a small one LOL ! PM me if you have any questions.

8Valve

Last edited by 8valve; 11-30-2010 at 03:50 PM. Reason: typo
Old 11-30-2010, 03:54 PM
sailorsteve
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Nice going! It's great to substitute ingenuity for the Corvette tax.
Old 11-30-2010, 03:55 PM
bdw18_123
Drifting

Location: Prather, California -1990 ZR-1 White/Flame Red- -SOLD!!-
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very nice job! Those are the kinds of things I like to do, fix and mod things myself in a way most people don't even think of.
Old 11-30-2010, 04:10 PM
jimm1951
Navigator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I want to install a radio from a 95 chev trk in my 84. Did the adapter cable plug into the oem harness and plug into the 95 radio? Do you have a link to the e-bay seller?
Old 11-30-2010, 04:25 PM
jon0108
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

man, i thought I was **** Good job
Old 11-30-2010, 05:07 PM
8valve
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by jimm1951
I want to install a radio from a 95 chev trk in my 84. Did the adapter cable plug into the oem harness and plug into the 95 radio? Do you have a link to the e-bay seller?
Yes, the 1987 OEM plugs all go into a large plug on the adapter and the other end plugs in the newer radio. You will receive 2 plugs with pig tails. All wires are color coded. Just match color for color, solder and use heat shrink tube on each connection. You will find one extra color without a mate on the other plug ( I forget the color) its simply not used, tape it back out of the way.

Here is a link to the ebay seller;
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/DELCO...fAudioQ5fVideo

8valve
Old 11-30-2010, 05:25 PM
jimm1951
Navigator

8valve Thanks.

Jim
Old 11-30-2010, 06:27 PM
nutz4c4
Melting Slicks

Nice Work...
Old 11-30-2010, 06:59 PM
ch@0s
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

Nice way to stick it to the corvette tax gods..

Get notified of new replies

To Delco Bose---Lets change the Display Color

Quick Reply: Delco Bose---Lets change the Display Color