C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

I'm doing some research for a friend..

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2010, 03:48 PM
JB666
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default I'm doing some research for a friend..

I actually haven't been here for years... I sold my '95 to a good friend of mine back in 2006. He's ready to step things up a bit and wants to get a supercharger installed.

The motor has a fresh build.. The typical.. hotcam/lt4 heads, etc.. Nothing radical.

So, without digging into the wrong area, I wanted to ask the guys that KNOW.. What would you recommend for a nice blower setup on this car??

Thanks, in advance!
Old 11-28-2010, 03:02 AM
mnstrlt1
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The options are fairly slim...

the vortech supercharger kit was discontinued some time ago. The Procharger kit provides a few benefits (transmission ratio is better than vortech equivalent, no oil lines in the self-contained units), but also a few draw backs (rumors of poor belt alignment -belt slip-, small intercooler heat soaks VERY quickly, and self-contained head unit is not always ideal). Either one of these kits will require the proper fuel system and tune to really make them ideal (i.e. in-tank pump swap, injectors, chip tune on a dyno or mail order)

The next option is really the only "well known" supercharger vendor for c4's, Blower Works (www.blowerworks.net). His systems are very well thought out and exceptional customer service AFTER the sale! Fuel system included with the kit, tune included with the kit.

Also, the LT4 hotcam is a nice cam (nice compromise in all areas), however, for a supercharged application you certainly can do better (more duration and more LSA, the LT4 hotcam is a 112 LSA, you "really" want 114 or better with a blower). Also, the compression with the LT4 heads is slightly higher, so you have to be careful with the level of boost.

the most popular head units are as follows:

the Vortech V-1/V-2 S-trim
The Vortech V-1/V-2 T-trim

The ProCharger P600B
the Procharger P1SC

Larger units can be made to fit...

Vortech V7 YSi
Procharger D1SC
Old 11-28-2010, 10:32 AM
JB666
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mnstrlt1
The options are fairly slim...

the vortech supercharger kit was discontinued some time ago. The Procharger kit provides a few benefits (transmission ratio is better than vortech equivalent, no oil lines in the self-contained units), but also a few draw backs (rumors of poor belt alignment -belt slip-, small intercooler heat soaks VERY quickly, and self-contained head unit is not always ideal). Either one of these kits will require the proper fuel system and tune to really make them ideal (i.e. in-tank pump swap, injectors, chip tune on a dyno or mail order)

The next option is really the only "well known" supercharger vendor for c4's, Blower Works (www.blowerworks.net). His systems are very well thought out and exceptional customer service AFTER the sale! Fuel system included with the kit, tune included with the kit.

Also, the LT4 hotcam is a nice cam (nice compromise in all areas), however, for a supercharged application you certainly can do better (more duration and more LSA, the LT4 hotcam is a 112 LSA, you "really" want 114 or better with a blower). Also, the compression with the LT4 heads is slightly higher, so you have to be careful with the level of boost.

the most popular head units are as follows:

the Vortech V-1/V-2 S-trim
The Vortech V-1/V-2 T-trim

The ProCharger P600B
the Procharger P1SC

Larger units can be made to fit...

Vortech V7 YSi
Procharger D1SC
Thanks for taking the time to reply, I appreciate it.

I'm running a D1SC on my car, but on the flip side it's a 1969 Charger and I'm running a massive intercooler and a 9:1 motor, so your concerns of running too much boost DEFINITELY ring a familiar bell now that I'm thinking about the build on his (my old) LT1.

I'll have to suggest that he puts the brakes on and thinks about this. The motor , since being built, has had 5 years of 100% trouble free operation.. The last thing he needs to grenade the engine...

I'll go check out blowerworks..

Thanks again!!

Get notified of new replies

To I'm doing some research for a friend..

Quick Reply: I'm doing some research for a friend..