C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

A-Mold Wheels Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2010, 05:44 PM
RacePro Engineering
Tech Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default A-Mold Wheels Question

I seem to get a different "authoritative" answer from everyone I ask, so I thought I would try here --

What are the destinctive markings on A-Mold wheels that allow one to verify they are the genuine article?

Or, said another way, How can we differentiate between real A-Molds and their replicas?

Looking for real facts, please. Thanks,
Ed LoPresti
Old 11-08-2010, 05:52 PM
James93LT1
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

-JWL marking on the lip.

-GM part number in back of the spoke.
Old 11-08-2010, 06:25 PM
Coupe89
Melting Slicks

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06

And lighter then the repo...
Old 11-08-2010, 08:09 PM
RacePro Engineering
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by James93LT1
-JWL marking on the lip.
-GM part number in back of the spoke.
Hello James,

Thank you for the quick response. Sorry for the seemingly naiive questions - A-Molds are new to us. Should I take from what you wrote that any wheel that IS NOT an A-Mold will NOT have the JWL marking on the lip? I almost think I have seen this mark before on BBS and Borbet wheels.

And, could you elaborate on how I can tell a GM Part Number from various other numeric combinations. For example, some replicas we have seen have have 786 or GP901 cast or stamped into the rear of the "spokes". A little more info will be appreciated.

-----------------------

Coupe89,

We are aware that the A-Molds are light in weight - actually that is precisely why we are interested in them. But, when we are speaking to a perspective seller, they are not always capable of, or willing to, weigh the wheels in question; and if there are tires mounted, the weights become nearly meaningless. What we are hoping for are POSITIVE identifying visual characteristics or markings.

Any other thoughts will be most welcome.

Ed LoPresti
Old 11-09-2010, 12:01 AM
James93LT1
Drifting

Originally Posted by RacePro Engineering
Hello James,

Thank you for the quick response. Sorry for the seemingly naiive questions - A-Molds are new to us. Should I take from what you wrote that any wheel that IS NOT an A-Mold will NOT have the JWL marking on the lip? I almost think I have seen this mark before on BBS and Borbet wheels.
Yes, A Mold is the name of the company that made the original GM 94-95 ZR-1, 96 Grand Sport, and the Collector Edition wheels in 17X8.5, 17X9.5, and 17X11 sizes. So, these wheel are some time called A mold or ZR-1 wheels.

All "A Mold" wheels were made to meet Japan Passanger car standards and have the JWL marking on it. Google “JWL Standards” for full explanation.

I almost think I have seen this mark before on BBS and Borbet wheels.
Yes, You will also see them on cars made by Japan, and aftermarket wheel made for the Japan market, but sold outside of Japan.

And, could you elaborate on how I can tell a GM Part Number from various other numeric combinations. For example, some replicas we have seen have have 786 or GP901 cast or stamped into the rear of the "spokes". A little more info will be appreciated.

Ed LoPresti
Here is some part numbers you will find:
GrandSport (Black)
17X11 9592479
17X9.5 9592379
ZR-1 (Silver)
17X11 10214047
17X9.5 10214046
Old 11-09-2010, 09:30 AM
VetteMed
Le Mans Master

Received 215 Likes on 142 Posts

Additionally, the genuine A-Mold wheels were made in japan and are marked as such. AFS made copies in the USA.
Old 11-09-2010, 09:33 AM
RacePro Engineering
Tech Contributor

Default Thanks again!

James,

Thanks for the followup. That is precisely what we needed on the A-Molds, and some interesting stuff on the Japanese passenger car standards. I was certain I had seen that particular symbol many times.

Best,
Ed
Old 11-09-2010, 10:00 AM
RacePro Engineering
Tech Contributor

Hello again, VetteMed,

So - we are going to see, somewhere on the A-Molds, something like that very familiar phrase, "Made in Japan"?

We have acquired a set of four AFS 9½" x 17", and they are quite light weight - 39 pounds WITH a Goodyear 275/40 mounted; so I am guessing around 17-18 pounds for the bare wheel. In your opinion, if we were to get a set of 11" AFS, would these be as strong as the genuine A-Molds for the track?

Thanks,
Ed
Old 11-09-2010, 10:09 AM
jaa1992
Le Mans Master

Location: Life is just one big track event. Everything before and after is prep and warm-up and cool-down laps GA
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '12

I use 17x11 repro ZR1 style on my 92 with 315 size khumo v700 and have not had a problem with them at all on the track. I know several others that use the repro wheels on their C5Z06 and run very aggressively, they have not had problems in over 7 years of using them. They are a little heavier, but still lighter than the sawblades that came on my 92.
Old 11-09-2010, 10:28 AM
RacePro Engineering
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by jaa1992
I use 17x11 repro ZR1 style on my 92 . . . I know several others that use the repro wheels on their C5Z06
Thanks, jaa, for the reassurance on reliability. One question though - when you refer to "repos", are you writing specifically about the AFS wheels we mentioned above, or about A-Mold replicas in general?

My reason for asking is this: We have in the shop the AFS 9½" x 17" wheel that I mentioned above, with the 275/40 street tire mounted, and that combination weighs in at 39 pounds. We also have the O.E brand 9½" x 17", also with a 275/40 street tire mounted, and it tips the scales at a whopping 46 pounds! Until we remove the tires, I can only assume that most of that weight differential is in the wheels.

This is great information, guys!
Ed
Old 11-09-2010, 10:42 AM
VetteMed
Le Mans Master

Received 215 Likes on 142 Posts

I can't say I've heard of any failures using the aftermarket wheels - but you might get more feedback in the Autocross section of this forum, there's more racers hanging out in there... Most prefer the genuine article for the weight savings, but I would be surprised if there's a relevant difference in strength there.
Old 11-09-2010, 10:54 AM
mrc24x
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I've run AFS and A molds for 5 years without any issues.
Old 11-09-2010, 04:27 PM
Aurora40
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

We have acquired a set of four AFS 9½" x 17", and they are quite light weight - 39 pounds WITH a Goodyear 275/40 mounted;
As you said, it is tough to tell once there is a tire on there. However, just so you know, AFS had their 5-spoke wheels made here in the USA about 10 years back. Newer wheels from AFS come from China. So not all AFS wheels are the same.

I have heard rumor that the early ones were similarly light to the genuine A-Molds, but I don't know that for sure. I have a set of USA-made AFS's on my ZR-1, but have never had them tireless to weigh.

If you are looking for light/cheap wheels for track use, you may want to keep the '01-04 Z06 wheels in mind. They can be found for fairly cheap, especially if you don't care about a few blemishes. And they are reported to be quite light and strong. Early wheels were forged by Alcoa, later wheels were spun-cast by Speedline (and are the lightest).
Old 11-09-2010, 06:33 PM
jaa1992
Le Mans Master

Location: Life is just one big track event. Everything before and after is prep and warm-up and cool-down laps GA
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '12

I'm not sure of the manufacturer of my Repro wheels. I've had them for five years and before some guy with a camaro used them for drag racing. The next time I have them apart I'll take a look. They are probably the older ones since they are black and have a thin silver lip just like the A-molds.

I'll second the reccomendation to post in the autocross & roadracing section.
Old 11-09-2010, 07:27 PM
RacePro Engineering
Tech Contributor

mrc, Aurora, VettMed, and all -

Thanks so much for the learned information and observations. This Forum continues to amaze me with the encyclopedia of Corvette data you gentlemen carry around in your heads!

I have the answers to my questions, AND THEN SOME! I collected more information, including INSIGHT, in a single day than I could have amassed in a week of research.

It is greatly appreciated.
Ed
Old 11-09-2010, 07:43 PM
James93LT1
Drifting

Originally Posted by Aurora40
As you said, it is tough to tell once there is a tire on there. However, just so you know, AFS had their 5-spoke wheels made here in the USA about 10 years back. Newer wheels from AFS come from China. So not all AFS wheels are the same.

I have heard rumor that the early ones were similarly light to the genuine A-Molds, but I don't know that for sure. I have a set of USA-made AFS's on my ZR-1, but have never had them tireless to weigh.
The old "made in USA" AFS wheels looks exactly like the original A molds. The newer "made in china" AFS wheels has a slight design change to the looks. This is the same design that is being sold everywhere now days.

Get notified of new replies

To A-Mold Wheels Question

Quick Reply: A-Mold Wheels Question