C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Horsepower and Torque Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2010, 02:56 PM
Beach Bum
Safety Car

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 85VetteTerreHaute
Never really cared about actual horsepower and torque in my cars, until i purchased my vette. Being an 85, it only has something like 220 horse and 330 torque. To me, it is 2011 almost and most sedans are pushing 300 horse. What is the cheapest and easiest ways to add some horsepower to a stock engine without doing items such as rebuilding motor, 1500 exhuast or something like that. Looking for any and all ideas... Thanks in advance
There is nothing wrong with the 85 corvette engine, there is only a problem with the intake system they put on top of it..... remove it and put on a SR, MR, HSR, or MSP, and the motor is just like any other sbc and will react wonderfully to the A-typical cylinder head/cam combinations that can truly allow your car to perform on par with virtually any other make/model/year vehicle.

Thus, I do not recommend you spend any money until you have a budget that includes removing the stock intake system. But, if you're dead set on spending some money right now..... a converter upgrade combined with sticky tires would be my recommendation if you truly want improved acceleration as per the test you should be looking at, which is the timeslip.

As a note, MSD and gears are nearly worthless on a stock TPI motor. PM and I'll share more.

Good luck with whatever you decide on !
Old 11-14-2010, 03:23 PM
TheFinn
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like TPI.

Assuming the car is good working condition I would put on a set of affordable decent headers and a true dual exhaust with hi-flo cats and have a ball.
Old 11-14-2010, 05:21 PM
Calderone
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Beach is right, he knows his stuff

3 Years ago i was starting threads like this one and reading as much as i could.
i went crazy and started a neverending journey on my 87
You can see my mod list right here

I've been lucky,you need time,money,knowledge
and if you do the wrenching, you are several steps aheads , if you don't
prepare yourself to spend a lot of $$$ on mechanics and engine shops.
Plus you won't know 100% sure why or what did your engine guy do !

i think the trick is between knowledge and DIY Wrenching.
Plus,read a lot and seek for advice !
At the end of the night ...
You won't be dissapointed !

Old 11-14-2010, 06:58 PM
ch@0s
Le Mans Master

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Calderone
Beach is right, he knows his stuff

3 Years ago i was starting threads like this one and reading as much as i could.
i went crazy and started a neverending journey on my 87
You can see my mod list right here

I've been lucky,you need time,money,knowledge
and if you do the wrenching, you are several steps aheads , if you don't
prepare yourself to spend a lot of $$$ on mechanics and engine shops.
Plus you won't know 100% sure why or what did your engine guy do !

i think the trick is between knowledge and DIY Wrenching.
Plus,read a lot and seek for advice !
At the end of the night ...
You won't be dissapointed !

Get a better intake

Ck this out http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c4-t...r-hsr-mod.html

Old 11-14-2010, 07:06 PM
RetiredSFC 97
Team Owner

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10, '14

Damn I hate these threads. Corvettes versus sedans and dragstrips? WTF

These cras were never designed to be drag racers, that's why they built a "Sportscar" so to compare them take them to a roadcourse and have at it and see who comes out on top.

Why do you want more HP? You could get another 100 HP and it would get you to 175 MPH. So what, unless you're tracking it what diff does it make?

But if you do want it.

get a new intake like Chaos. Get some headers, a performance catback, a 2400 stall convertor and a shift kit. If that's not enough go to some lower gears, and yes a A4 can go lower than 3.07 and a small cam. It'll cost money but it's doable.
Old 11-14-2010, 07:09 PM
Calderone
Le Mans Master

It's always more and more,that's the start of the addiction, create a monster out of it , i think i got to a level that im happy with it and i won't go further into performance mods.

I will aim my efforts to the interior and exterior...anyway im considering NOS at this point so please don't mark my words
Old 11-14-2010, 07:32 PM
ch@0s
Le Mans Master

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

It's always more and more,that's the start of the addiction, create a monster out of it , i think i got to a level that im happy with it and i won't go further into performance mods.

I will aim my efforts to the interior and exterior...anyway im considering NOS at this point so please don't mark my words
Exactly .. Make a plan.."I can spend this much now" Buy something that will work to get you further along in your "big plan"..
Before you start your mods search the forum and do your research.
If you want to get the most out of the engine you have now without doing heads.
1. Better intake
2.Better exhaust
3.1.6 RR
4. converter
5. You may benefit from a tune but with MAF you should be ok.
Old 11-14-2010, 07:48 PM
Calderone
Le Mans Master

Plus ...make sure to get matching parts !
Everything is a system ! So it works in chain reaction, one thing leads to another !
its like that , for example, after my second head-cam-swap i was not impressed . . .
After some research and advice , i had to buy a higher stall converter (i already had a 2400 stall but i had to go to a 2800-3000) Sometimes you don't want to spend more ...you want to stop , but if you want to do the things right and get pleased
RESPECT THE SYSTEM !!! Do not try to cut corners,the only one who's damaged
by doing that is yourself. ask me how i know
Old 11-14-2010, 08:06 PM
Beach Bum
Safety Car

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by RetiredSFC 97

These cras were never designed to be drag racers, that's why they built a "Sportscar" so to compare them take them to a roadcourse and have at it and see who comes out on top.
I think the C4 corvette is a great drag-race vehicle and was very much designed for such activity ! I'll go one step further and state that I think it is the best vehicle ever put out by GM for dragracing. Body/Frame that can handle big power with no modifications necessary, sbc base power plant, lightweight from the get-go and aerodynamic, limited wheel-hop, easy engine access with clamshell and very affordable, yet easy on the eyes.

You have to upgrade the rear once you get to a certain power level, but they all do, its not unique to the Corvettes.

But, I guess it could be a matter of opinion.
Old 11-14-2010, 08:19 PM
Calderone
Le Mans Master

i wish they all came with D44's !
What's the max power the D36 can handle ?
Old 11-14-2010, 08:58 PM
Bronze85
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Plus ...make sure to get matching parts !
Everything is a system ! So it works in chain reaction, one thing leads to another !
Maybe check out edelbrock's performer/rpm cams and head systems. I had that setup on a mopar 440, it really woke it up.
Old 11-15-2010, 10:09 PM
85VetteTerreHaute
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Damn, I fell behind on this one, lol. I checked all the codes tonight. My 85 the performance handling package (a plus), dana 44 3.07s, 4 speed. The interior code calls for medium grey, which I do not care for. If i redid the seats, carpet, ext. in black would it hurt the value any?
Old 11-16-2010, 02:48 AM
McGirk94LT1
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Why do you want more HP? You could get another 100 HP and it would get you to 175 MPH. So what, unless you're tracking it what diff does it make?
I hate to say it, but that is a complete cop out. An excuse for when a car doesnt perform well. At the time any vette is created, it is built to go fast, handle well, and beat competition more expensive then it. Your calling the corvette a miata. A miata is built to be an open roadster thats super fun around corners. It makes no claims about being fast. A vette does. Every year compare its HP ratings to any other car made that year, or at least hp/weight. It IS designed to be taken to a road course, and then a drag strip the next day. Race on saturday sunday and monday. In all different events.
Old 11-16-2010, 10:34 PM
l98tpi
Max G’s
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 73 Likes on 63 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

OMG How do you measure the performance of a car? On the street? Perfromance is measured at the strip, on an autox course, or on a roadcourse. A car is built by a manufacturer, if purchasing a production vehicle, as a platform to build upon to fit a specific application. The Corvette is one of if not the best platform to begin with. Or if just to cruise on the street, it is a car that provides a sense of accomplishment and pride. I don't think I would brag about owning a Oldmobile Aurora especially since they have been discontinued and do nothing to boost social status. As for the rice rockets, they can be competetive in their class, but I don't see many running fast enough to even sniff the a$$ of the Vette's at the roadcourse. Lastly, yeah the C4 is an old, has been on the street, but never forget your history, it is the only car to have its own race series because the competition was not. Go to some autox and track events and see who can still hang.
Old 11-16-2010, 10:58 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

Originally Posted by McGirk94LT1
I hate to say it, but that is a complete cop out. An excuse for when a car doesnt perform well. At the time any vette is created, it is built to go fast, handle well, and beat competition more expensive then it. Your calling the corvette a miata. A miata is built to be an open roadster thats super fun around corners. It makes no claims about being fast. A vette does. Every year compare its HP ratings to any other car made that year, or at least hp/weight. It IS designed to be taken to a road course, and then a drag strip the next day. Race on saturday sunday and monday. In all different events.
^This guy "gets it". Retired SFC does not. The 'Vette always has been and always should be "All things performance related". Drag strip performance is part of that.
Old 11-17-2010, 08:09 AM
Aurora40
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by l98tpi
I don't think I would brag about owning a Oldmobile Aurora especially since they have been discontinued and do nothing to boost social status. As for the rice rockets, they can be competetive in their class, but I don't see many running fast enough to even sniff the a$$ of the Vette's at the roadcourse.
Hahaha, it looks like you've tipped your hand there as to why you own a Corvette.

It seems to me there are two types of Corvette owners (more or less). The types that buy a Corvette because they like exciting cars, all exciting cars. The 'vette just happens to be one. The older C4's are getting less exciting, but they are also getting dirt cheap, so it's still a good fun for the buck buy.

Then there are people who buy a Corvette because it's a "Corvette". It could have a pile of dung under the hood, and they'd still rave about how it's incomparable to any other car on the road because it's a 'vette. They buy a Corvette to boost their social status, as you so aptly put it. I suspect these are the guys we can thank for all the ***** jokes.

I don't buy my cars for that reason, so I'm not too pressed to mention what I own, nor how fast they are.

Last edited by Aurora40; 11-17-2010 at 08:13 AM.
Old 11-17-2010, 08:17 AM
Aurora40
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by l98tpi
but never forget your history, it is the only car to have its own race series because the competition was not.
There are tons of one-car spec racing series, from Miatas to 911's. Maybe you should have read more than one page from that history book?

Corvettes do have a great history, in spite of your poor command of facts. But that doesn't move the car down the road. History doesn't make a car any more or less fun to drive.

Get notified of new replies

To Horsepower and Torque Question

Old 11-17-2010, 10:24 AM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

Received 402 Likes on 328 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019

Why do you want more HP? You could get another 100 HP and it would get you to 175 MPH. So what, unless you're tracking it what diff does it make?\
I do think they were better equipped for a road course (out of the gate) as you pointed out, but they are also the measuring stick for all performance cars in America. And, Uncle Sam let emissions/regulations get in the way of that for awhile. Or,,,the engineer's just took to long to design a better mouse trap.

Stop by my house any time you want. I'll show you why it's fun to have more power. You can drive my 383. We'll never go above 80mph -- unless you want to that is! Your mind will change. If not, I'd understand. Not everyone needs to get to the grocery store faster. After all, cars not taken to the track don't NEED to go that fast. And, some people do just buy them for their looks, status, or handling. That's O.K.

BTW: I could make the same challenge and say we'll never go above 50mph. Your eye's will still bug out. It's darn fun!

Last edited by GREGGPENN; 11-17-2010 at 10:27 AM.
Old 11-17-2010, 11:25 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

.....to boost social status.
Neither does driving a Corvette-A Chevy, at least around these parts.
Old 11-17-2010, 05:38 PM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

Received 402 Likes on 328 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
Neither does driving a Corvette-A Chevy, at least around these parts.
O.K., so you're surrounded in a sea of Ferraris, Lamborghinis, Bugatti's, and the like. But, I bet a new Z07 or ZR1 commands decent respect around your land of fake *****, big *****, and nin-com-*****.

(Probably not too many C4's though...unless it's a Callaway).

Quick Reply: Horsepower and Torque Question