C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

How do you remove window tint? I cant pass inspection!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2002, 06:30 PM
phrogs
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Default How do you remove window tint? I cant pass inspection!!

Im down here in North Carolina now and I have to get a NC safety inspection before I can get a base sticker and the damn tint on my car is too dark the side windows are 27% and the back is 18% so I need to remove it.
Is there a trick besides just scraping it off with a razor blade?
Id like to save my rear defroster and not damage it!!

jp
Old 04-03-2002, 06:44 PM
BBA
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: How do you remove window tint? I cant pass inspection!! (phrogs)

For the front, take a water squirt bottle, mix a few drops of dawn detergent with warm water, work the tint/glue off with the razor knife. For the back, the same thing, but be real careful near the defroster wires. It might be safer to remove the hatch glass and set it on a work surface so you can control the razor with comfort.

Use lots of soap water.
Old 04-03-2002, 06:53 PM
David Haag
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: How do you remove window tint? I cant pass inspection!! (BBA)

i would not take a blade to that back glass. the film should peal off leaving the glue. simple green will sometimes work on breaking down the adhesive. scrub the glue off with steel wool. if the film flakes and wont come off in on big sheet, there is another method you will have use. let me know and i will explain.
Old 04-03-2002, 07:05 PM
David Haag
Instructor

Default Re: How do you remove window tint? I cant pass inspection!! (David Haag)

i just remembered another easy way to remove the film from the back glass leaving little or no glue. use a heatgun and begin warming up the window on the top. begin peeling off the film where you have warmed it up . continue warming a little at a time and then peeling it off. you will have to get it pretty hot for this to work. go from one side to the other and be patient. i hope this helped.

[Modified by David Haag, 12:32 AM 4/4/2002]
Old 04-03-2002, 07:24 PM
Timmy!
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: How do you remove window tint? I cant pass inspection!! (David Haag)

409 works pretty good too to remove the glue.
Old 04-03-2002, 07:44 PM
92TripleBlack
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: How do you remove window tint? I cant pass inspection!! (Timmy!)

Good old "Ben Franklin" says you pass that inspection. ;)
Old 04-03-2002, 08:53 PM
Black 'n Blue
Drifting

What you need to do is borrow some non-tinted glass from someone till after the inspection, and then swap the tinted glass back in later. Anyone owe you a big favor? :D
Old 04-03-2002, 10:12 PM
Nitro Junkie
Burning Brakes

Roll your windows down and pull the fuse. Tell them they're broken. No law says you have to have side windows, only front. They generally can't check the rear because the 2" factory tint is wider than the machines sensor. Anthow, that's how I did it in Louisiana.
Old 04-03-2002, 11:47 PM
red-y
Drifting

Default Re: How do you remove window tint? I cant pass inspection!! (Nitro Junkie)

You Louisiana guys are cool..hang in there. I lived in Mandeville for 6 years. :seeya
Old 04-04-2002, 12:08 AM
phrogs
Race Director

Default Re: How do you remove window tint? I cant pass inspection!! (Nitro Junkie)

Roll your windows down and pull the fuse. Tell them they're broken. No law says you have to have side windows, only front. They generally can't check the rear because the 2" factory tint is wider than the machines sensor. Anthow, that's how I did it in Louisiana.
Yeah except these NC folk have this nice sensor that is magnitized so they can check the back window they are all about getting their money!
And with the window fuse thats funny but I dont think so Im not worried about the tint it was in when i bought the car so no skin off my back!

Old 04-04-2002, 12:56 PM
SPD DMN
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran

Texas laws do not prohibit you from tinting the back as dark as you want. The sides however have to be 35% or more. Do they check the back in NC?
Old 04-04-2002, 05:50 PM
USCZBT
Instructor

When I decided to remove the tint from my '86 I experimented with a few different methods (heat gun/razors/etc.) before I finally tried using straight ammonia on a sponge. This method worked very well, just wiped it on let it sit for awhile and the tint just started lifting off the glass. Some parts on the rear glass were more stubborn than others, but it just required wiping on more ammonia until the tint would loosen up. Obviously you should do this in a well ventilated area.
Old 04-04-2002, 06:09 PM
fiddleplayer
Racer

Default Re: How do you remove window tint? I cant pass inspection!! (USCZBT)

Your're in the service, can't you keep the registration and inspection from your home state?
fp
Old 04-04-2002, 06:52 PM
Eddie N
Advanced

Default Re: How do you remove window tint? I cant pass inspection!! (fiddleplayer)

worse case scenario is you just pay a window tinter to only take the tint off.. most places will charge an extra few bucks to tint your car if you already have tint.. the extra cost is for removing it..

i didnt think there were any laws against your rear window being tinted.. out here in CA, any tint at all on side windows is illegal..

- eddie -
Old 04-04-2002, 10:19 PM
vettlesstintguy
Instructor

Default Re: How do you remove window tint? I cant pass inspection!! (Eddie N)

most tintshops would charge between 40 to 100 bucks to remove it from a backglass , we charge 40 to remove film just on the backglass , here is a site that is to window tint like corvette forum is to vettes http://www.tintdude.com/messframe.html
i am a moderator on this site and it has some info for tint removal on the right hand side nav bar says tint removal, check it out, my vette is picture of the week lol.

[Modified by vettlesstintguy, 8:20 PM 4/4/2002]
Old 04-04-2002, 10:45 PM
phrogs
Race Director

Default Re: How do you remove window tint? I cant pass inspection!! (fiddleplayer)

Your're in the service, can't you keep the registration and inspection from your home state?
fp
Yes I am in the service and I have the Z registered in Michigan but I cant get my base sticker without the NC inspection Because we are stationed here those are the rules!

Ill look into this stuff if I cant find a good inspection station :blueangel:

Im looking at a house tomorrow so hopefully by next week Ill have my 2 car garage and well see what I can do :jester

I appreciate the help guys I do!

AND NC checks all tint unless it is factory tint, I went to the inspection place on base so they are like to only straight shooters I know of a couple of good guys that will do it with no problem :yesnod:
Old 04-09-2002, 01:04 PM
phrogs
Race Director

Update,
I found a place where the guy was excited to drive a vette (go figure:lol:) he pulled it around to the back checked the lights and that was it!
Got my sticker for $10 and I was on my way I guess you just have to ask the right people where to take your car!
jp

Get notified of new replies

To How do you remove window tint? I cant pass inspection!!

Quick Reply: How do you remove window tint? I cant pass inspection!!