C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

SBC TPI question - Why is there a small heater hose going into my TPI manifold?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2010, 11:40 AM
kbuhagiar
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default SBC TPI question - Why is there a small heater hose going into my TPI manifold?

Hello Folks,

On my 1986 Corvette TPI engine, I have a small hose (3/8" maybe) that comes off of one of my regular heater hoses through a T-fitting and feeds into the rear of the TPI manifold, near the distributor.

The other typical SBC heater hoses are present and accounted for (i.e. one to the water pump and one to the front of the intake manifold).

What is the purpose of this small heater hose?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by kbuhagiar; 10-19-2010 at 11:58 AM.
Old 10-19-2010, 11:43 AM
Siveck
Drifting

Received 76 Likes on 62 Posts

It is supposedly a steam vent. Also has something to do with the water passages and intake gaskets. Someone else can elaborate.
Old 10-19-2010, 01:23 PM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

Received 402 Likes on 328 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019

Between that small water feed and special gaskets that have a pin-hole in the rear water ports (vs completely open), it was a measure GM took to try and address uneven cooling leading to intake gasket leaks -- which SBC are known for.

For whatever reason, they thought holding fresh (radiator-cooled) water in the rear of the manifold would help. Obviously, the small feed tube would be slow -- as are the restricted water ports on the intake gaskets -- to let the water back out.

Last edited by GREGGPENN; 10-19-2010 at 01:26 PM.
Old 10-19-2010, 01:40 PM
kbuhagiar
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by GREGGPENN
Between that small water feed and special gaskets that have a pin-hole in the rear water ports (vs completely open), it was a measure GM took to try and address uneven cooling leading to intake gasket leaks -- which SBC are known for.

For whatever reason, they thought holding fresh (radiator-cooled) water in the rear of the manifold would help. Obviously, the small feed tube would be slow -- as are the restricted water ports on the intake gaskets -- to let the water back out.
Fascinating. Thanks for the information.

I'm trying to clean up the engine compartment on my 47 Plymouth, and I'd like to get rid of it, but I'd like to be sure that it wont affect engine performance or dependability.

Thanks again.
Old 10-19-2010, 01:47 PM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

Received 402 Likes on 328 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by kbuhagiar
I'm trying to clean up the engine compartment on my 47 Plymouth, and I'd like to get rid of it, but I'd like to be sure that it wont affect engine performance or dependability.
FWIW: NONE of the aftermarket intakes have encorporated this feature (fitting) into their manifold designs. If it has any benefit, it is slight. Nowadays, I think there is more emplasis on the intake gasket material -- plus newer motors often do not run coolant thru the intake.

Don't place too much emphasis on it.

P.S. If you want to read more, do a search on SunCr with the keywords "galvanic, corrosion, and/or gaskets". With one or more of those keywords, you should be able to find his complete/knowledgeable posts on the subject. He is a retired GM service technician IIRC.

Last edited by GREGGPENN; 10-19-2010 at 01:59 PM.
Old 10-19-2010, 03:17 PM
AGENT 86
Race Director

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by GREGGPENN
FWIW: NONE of the aftermarket intakes have encorporated this feature (fitting) into their manifold designs.
FWIW, my Super Ram has that port and is hooked up on my 86.
Old 10-19-2010, 06:17 PM
rodj
Le Mans Master

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by kbuhagiar
I'd like to get rid of it, but I'd like to be sure that it wont affect engine performance or dependability.
I've had it deleted on every stock headed L98 I have owned for 10 years without a problem.

IIRC; 1/8 NPT plug to intake if you remove the angled adapter
Old 10-19-2010, 06:28 PM
ch@0s
Le Mans Master

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by rodj
I've had it deleted on every stock headed L98 I have owned for 10 years without a problem.

IIRC; 1/8 NPT plug to intake if you remove the angled adapter
Deleted on mine.. no problems here..
Old 10-20-2010, 12:26 PM
SunCr
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

I've never worked for GM.

The Vette L98 restricts coolant flow at the rear of the intake to keep coolant at the rear of the heads longer. F-Body L98's don't. If you want to get rid of the hose - which is there to provide sufficient coolant - swap in the F-Body intake gaskets without the Restrictors. Read all about the differences in TPI's here: http://www.hotrodlane.cc/PDFFILES/TPIStory.pdf or watch the videos here: http://www.hotrodlane.cc/Video/TPI%20VIDEO%20PAGE.html

PS - there's nothing "steam" in a cooling system and excess air is expelled through the Coolant Reservoir. If you have steam, it's boiling over.
Old 10-20-2010, 12:49 PM
ch@0s
Le Mans Master

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by SunCr
I've never worked for GM.

The Vette L98 restricts coolant flow at the rear of the intake to keep coolant at the rear of the heads longer. F-Body L98's don't. If you want to get rid of the hose - which is there to provide sufficient coolant - swap in the F-Body intake gaskets without the Restrictors. Read all about the differences in TPI's here: http://www.hotrodlane.cc/PDFFILES/TPIStory.pdf or watch the videos here: http://www.hotrodlane.cc/Video/TPI%20VIDEO%20PAGE.html

PS - there's nothing "steam" in a cooling system and excess air is expelled through the Coolant Reservoir. If you have steam, it's boiling over.
Cool links.. Thanks

Get notified of new replies

To SBC TPI question - Why is there a small heater hose going into my TPI manifold?

Quick Reply: SBC TPI question - Why is there a small heater hose going into my TPI manifold?