C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

1993 auto trans wouldn't shift from 1st: you'll never guess what was the problem!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 09:23 PM
psychodiagnostik
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default 1993 auto trans wouldn't shift from 1st: you'll never guess what was the problem!!

So I've been dealing with a serious transmission problem, it wouldn't shift out of first!! I had tried re-setting the TV cable with the factory procedure 3 times, no dice. As you may know; 1993's have a complex TV cable setting procedure because of the TV cable, throttle cable, AND cruise control linkages all being intermeshed. It involves a torque wrench reading inch-lbs, drill bits, yada yada...

When I set it the last time; I noticed the cruise control actuator had a big hole in the rubber diaphragm/bellows thing (looked like a mouse/rat chewed it).

I decided to replace it; it needed replacing obviously in this condition, plus I was curious that it might be interfering with the TV cable since the cable from the actuator integrates with the TV. Not expensive, ~$100 from Advance with a $30 online discount.

I replaced it in <5 min... the car shifts fine!!

I guess the moral is, when diagnosing a shifting problem on a 1993 Corvette w/700r4k, check the cruise control components.
Old 10-17-2010, 10:50 AM
orgsretep8
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good to know.
Old 10-17-2010, 03:02 PM
sailorsteve
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

That diaphragm/bellows thing is a vacuum servo. No wonder the trans wasn't happy with a vacuum leak like that! Good call, and as they say, happy motoring.
Old 10-17-2010, 03:27 PM
94vettelover2
Burning Brakes

Time to get out & before its time for storage,like I have to do to mineThis may be helpful to someone in the future
Old 10-17-2010, 05:40 PM
RLG
Burning Brakes

All of the early GM transmissions used vac. to control the shift.

Modulator valve.

I haven't looked at mine to see if it even has one.

I was in the business back in the mid 70's

The turbo 350 kept us all in business for years.
Old 10-17-2010, 10:41 PM
Charleston2012
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the 4L60/700R4 from 1993 does not use vacuum for anything. The TV cable is a cable that operates a throttle valve which adjusts the pressure to the transmission.
My guess is something else was missing. The cruise control has nothing to do with shifting, even though there is a few cables going into the ASR, they all adjust throttle for ASR and cruise control to modulate speed etc.
But, since I will probably get flamed for this, ask PETEK.
I bet the cruise control cable was misaligned and when you reinstalled the vacuum diaghram you fixed the cable for the cruise, which goes in the ASR module.
Old 10-18-2010, 01:31 AM
rodj
Le Mans Master

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Charleston2012
My guess is something else was missing. The cruise control has nothing to do with shifting, even though there is a few cables going into the ASR, they all adjust throttle for ASR and cruise control to modulate speed etc..

The cruise cable end is slotted allowing free movement of throttle until cruise is engaged ;then the cruise vac pot pulls on the throttle linkage

Get notified of new replies

To 1993 auto trans wouldn't shift from 1st: you'll never guess what was the problem!!

Quick Reply: 1993 auto trans wouldn't shift from 1st: you'll never guess what was the problem!!