C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Transmission shifts too soon.

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2010, 11:15 PM
dragonwarrior88
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission shifts too soon.

On my 93 with 87xxx miles. I noticed from a complete stop and start going to about 45mph itle go through all the gears and around 30ish mph itle go straight to OD. If i give it alittle gas to pick up speed itle downshift but then go back to OD again. RPM to low for OD and struggles. Trans fluid is clean, just replaced filter and fluid. Rear diff fluids replaced as well. Seems like the shift points are too low. It happens once in a blue.
Old 09-23-2010, 10:55 AM
slickfx3
Safety Car

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

could be a TV cable adjustment , but it won't help much,
Old 09-23-2010, 11:52 AM
Flame Red
Le Mans Master

Received 1,091 Likes on 660 Posts

Is this new behavior or has it always been that way?

I have similiar issues when I put in a rebuilt tranny that was not a "Corvette" tranny. Sucks.

If your just started doing this, I would first adjust the throttle cable per the FSM procedure. Do NOT ticker with the settings or you could find yourself needing a rebuild.

If that does not help, it could be that your governor is sticking. You can replace the governor with a factory new 'Corvette' governor - takes about 15 minutes. I tried this too but it did not help much since the tranny internals are missing the Corvette special pieces parts.
Old 09-23-2010, 01:59 PM
bwiencek
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dragonwarrior88
On my 93 with 87xxx miles. I noticed from a complete stop and start going to about 45mph itle go through all the gears and around 30ish mph itle go straight to OD. If i give it alittle gas to pick up speed itle downshift but then go back to OD again. RPM to low for OD and struggles. Trans fluid is clean, just replaced filter and fluid. Rear diff fluids replaced as well. Seems like the shift points are too low. It happens once in a blue.
If it's something "new" that's happening with an old trans - Take the governor out, clean and inspect it - it could be stuck "open" and the trans thinks it needs to up shift too soon... If you need the local trans parts supplier will have a rebuild kit with a new plastic gear and pin so that you can take it apart and really clean it good. Then I'd adjust the TV cable and make sure it's not loose or starting to go (i.e. fraying or breaking internally) - if it's a newly rebuilt trans then take it back and tell them the symptoms - chances are they used a generic core and didn't do the 'vette specific valve body changes (and it's more like a passenger car/pickup trans calibration)...

Originally Posted by Flame Red
If that does not help, it could be that your governor is sticking. You can replace the governor with a factory new 'Corvette' governor - takes about 15 minutes. I tried this too but it did not help much since the tranny internals are missing the Corvette special pieces parts.
If you're wanting to "corvettize" the trans you probably want to get at least a transgo "no-yo-yo kit" (improves shifting, but not a 'performance' shift kit), a .500 boost valve, HD pressure regulator spring, 'corvette servo' and the 3-4 upshift sleeve (which allows the later upshift, requires 80%ish throttle for a downshift and can hold 4th gear at WOT) - All of these can be installed with the trans in the car by just dropping the pan and should be around $100-ish for the parts. If you step up to a transgo full shift kit then several of the parts are in there already.
Old 09-23-2010, 03:38 PM
dragonwarrior88
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bwiencek
If it's something "new" that's happening with an old trans - Take the governor out, clean and inspect it - it could be stuck "open" and the trans thinks it needs to up shift too soon... If you need the local trans parts supplier will have a rebuild kit with a new plastic gear and pin so that you can take it apart and really clean it good. Then I'd adjust the TV cable and make sure it's not loose or starting to go (i.e. fraying or breaking internally) - if it's a newly rebuilt trans then take it back and tell them the symptoms - chances are they used a generic core and didn't do the 'vette specific valve body changes (and it's more like a passenger car/pickup trans calibration)...

If you're wanting to "corvettize" the trans you probably want to get at least a transgo "no-yo-yo kit" (improves shifting, but not a 'performance' shift kit), a .500 boost valve, HD pressure regulator spring, 'corvette servo' and the 3-4 upshift sleeve (which allows the later upshift, requires 80%ish throttle for a downshift and can hold 4th gear at WOT) - All of these can be installed with the trans in the car by just dropping the pan and should be around $100-ish for the parts. If you step up to a transgo full shift kit then several of the parts are in there already.
It started couple months ago. but its happens here and their. ive searched for the FSM but cant find anything unless im blind lol btw its the original trans. shifts smooth through each gear. Hasnt shifted hard at all.
Old 09-24-2010, 10:12 AM
bwiencek
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dragonwarrior88
It started couple months ago. but its happens here and their. ive searched for the FSM but cant find anything unless im blind lol btw its the original trans. shifts smooth through each gear. Hasnt shifted hard at all.
Haven't looked at a FSM since about 91 (and that was for an '87 700R4 trans in a full-size blazer) but I think there was a good troubleshooting diagram in there too.

Also - When was the last time the fluid and filter was changed? If it's been a while (over 60k) then you could have a sticky valve in the valvebody - If you're not real familiar with the valvebody operations internally then as a shot at a fix I'd probably go down to the trans supply house and pick up a Lubeguard "flush & protect" pack - it's their fluid flush and their red bottle ATF additive pack - the flush cleans out the valvebody (you put it in, run the car around, drain it out with the old fluid) and the additive helps condition seals and friction modifies the new fluid...

Get notified of new replies

To Transmission shifts too soon.

Quick Reply: Transmission shifts too soon.