C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

1990 Corvette Vacuum Control Valve HELP!!!

Old 02-25-2019, 08:50 PM
Conyomen
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1990 Corvette Vacuum Control Valve HELP!!!

Hello from Miami,

I have bought my dream car a 1990 red Corvette, that I call Brenda. I took her to the shop to get serviced and to replace the valve cover gasket. I got her back from the shop and after a day or so, I realize that the AC is blowing from the defrost and the leg vent. I do some research on these forums and rather than taking Brenda back to the shop which is far and inconvenient, I buy a vacuum control valve and some tubing. I pop the hood look around and low and behold the tubing that goes to the T to front of the car is against the exhaust manifold and it's melted open. I replace the tubing. (AND THIS IS WHERE I SHOULD OF STOPPED) But I bought the 4 dollar vacuum control valve and I thought, "might as well replace while I am here." Big mistake, I remove the the other hoses and the tubing breaks off. Now it's like the big tubing disappeared. I can't find it anywhere under the distributor. I spent over an hour looking for it.

See if I am right here. Now, I know enough about cars to get me into trouble. #3 goes to the front of the car to a T. #2 goes to the passenger side of the engine to an assembly. Where does #1 go to? I don't know where to look for it in the service manual. I tried HVAC, Vacuum lines, the internet, these forums. Nothing. Can you help me get Brenda back on track?

Thanks so much.
Alex
Old 02-25-2019, 09:05 PM
65Z01
Team Owner

Received 300 Likes on 274 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Old 02-26-2019, 03:12 AM
Gunho
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Off of my 94 LT1. Number 1 goes to front of car.....

Last edited by Gunho; 02-26-2019 at 03:15 AM.
Old 02-26-2019, 04:57 AM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,261 Likes on 1,446 Posts

Originally Posted by Conyomen
Hello from Miami,

I have bought my dream car a 1990 red Corvette, that I call Brenda. I took her to the shop to get serviced and to replace the valve cover gasket. I got her back from the shop and after a day or so, I realize that the AC is blowing from the defrost and the leg vent. I do some research on these forums and rather than taking Brenda back to the shop which is far and inconvenient, I buy a vacuum control valve and some tubing. I pop the hood look around and low and behold the tubing that goes to the T to front of the car is against the exhaust manifold and it's melted open. I replace the tubing. (AND THIS IS WHERE I SHOULD OF STOPPED) But I bought the 4 dollar vacuum control valve and I thought, "might as well replace while I am here." Big mistake, I remove the the other hoses and the tubing breaks off. Now it's like the big tubing disappeared. I can't find it anywhere under the distributor. I spent over an hour looking for it.

See if I am right here. Now, I know enough about cars to get me into trouble. #3 goes to the front of the car to a T. #2 goes to the passenger side of the engine to an assembly. Where does #1 go to? I don't know where to look for it in the service manual. I tried HVAC, Vacuum lines, the internet, these forums. Nothing. Can you help me get Brenda back on track?

Thanks so much.
Alex
Alex, can you confirm that you have lost the hard brittle line back by the distributor?

is your plan to splice some 5/32 id rubber line over the broken stubs of the hard line? and you cannot find one side that dissspeared back at the distributor?
Old 02-26-2019, 08:38 AM
Conyomen
6th Gear

Okay, I think I am figuring it out. I found a line in the back of the distributor that goes inside through the firewall. It is super thin, about an 1/8-1/16 OD. The line that attached to the elbow broke off. I am going to AutoZone after work and get me some elbows and adapters. Let's see what happens. I'll keep you informed. Thanks for all the help.
Old 02-26-2019, 10:57 AM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

yup. mine was broke off inside the loom behind the dizzy and i had to split the loom carefully and then splice on some vac line (i belive it was 5/32 ID) over the hard vac line.

i put a dob of contact cement to ensure a permanent splice.

Last edited by VikingTrad3r; 02-26-2019 at 10:57 AM.
Old 02-26-2019, 05:16 PM
Conyomen
6th Gear

I have figured it out. I bought a 5/32 to 1/8 soft rubber elbow and connected it and it is now fixed... Thank you for all your help.
Old 02-26-2019, 05:32 PM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

well done.

Get notified of new replies

To 1990 Corvette Vacuum Control Valve HELP!!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1990 Corvette Vacuum Control Valve HELP!!!