C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Street-ability with Aluminum flywheel and twin disk?

Old 09-10-2010, 12:41 AM
simple green
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Street-ability with Aluminum flywheel and twin disk?

I smoked the stock clutch and am looking at Mcleod twin disc Aluminum flywheel setup. i'm not too concerned about the noise, but am wondering about it's in traffic manners. $1125 for the complete setup (pretty good deal I thought). Are these a PITA? should I go for it, or should I keep looking for a steel flywheel single disc setup?
Thanks

*94 LT1 Blown, approx 440rwhp*
Old 09-10-2010, 12:12 PM
USAsOnlyWay
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I haven't had a Street Twin so take this with a grain a salt...

It seems most people popping rear end parts are running a Street Twin, they work almost too good and shock the hell out of the drivetrain.

Unless you are racing, I'd go for a centerforce dual friction of call Spec and get the right stage clutch (Stage 3?).

I don't think 440rwhp is at the point where only a StreetTwin will hold and there are many clutches with better bite than stock.

I can't comment on the Al flywheel and street twin but I know the street twin is really on/off switch, couple that with the low mass of the aluminum flywheel and it definitely will not be as easy to start as your current setup.
Old 09-11-2010, 03:04 AM
tpi 421 vette
Melting Slicks

Received 115 Likes on 67 Posts

I have a McLeod dual disc with a aluminum flywheel. It's not bad, but I can tell you a steel flywheel will have more interia and be easier taking off. With the power you have I would probably recommend a steel flywheel. Unless you are drag racing. But the power you have you are almost between a aluminum flywheel and a steel flywheel. McLeod recommends a aluminum flywheel past 600hp. If you do mostly street driving a steel flywheel is more friendly.

And a dual disc will break parts.

Last edited by tpi 421 vette; 09-15-2010 at 07:28 PM.
Old 09-11-2010, 09:52 AM
Baldfart
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 09-13-2010, 11:11 AM
simple green
Racer

Good enough, thanks guys!
Old 09-15-2010, 04:35 PM
FLASH92LT1
Advanced

I have an Aluminum Flywheel and heavy Duty clutch in my 350 HP Mitsu turbo 4 cylinder with ZERO drivability issues. I can pull away from a stop sign in second! With a V8 making better low end torque I would think it's a non-issue for you.

The twin disc setup is very popular in the big HP Mitsu crowd. It's a very streetable setup with non-puck type discs. Great holding power, easy pedal effort, and smooth engagement. It's only as harsh as 440 WHP can be!! But at 440WHP you should be able to find single discs that can handle that, and much cheaper than a twin disc setup.

Rick - '92 LT1

Get notified of new replies

To Street-ability with Aluminum flywheel and twin disk?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Street-ability with Aluminum flywheel and twin disk?