C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Intermittent starting

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 01:40 PM
Azriel
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Intermittent starting

I'm having that problem where my '88 coupe decides to not let me leave where I currently am. It'll crank, but it will not turn over. The car is cold, so it's not a heat soak issue, and if I wait x amount of time, it'll start and act normal. Where should I go from here?

My key is old, so I probably need a new one. How much would that be?

Should I just test the key and find out which key it is and get a bypass kit for the VATS?
Old 09-13-2010, 03:03 PM
0Paul Ruggeri
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When it won't start, check the basics, fuel pressure and spark to the plugs.
Old 09-13-2010, 03:06 PM
BADDUCK
Le Mans Master

Location: One day you're a Comet...the next day you're dust... Arkansas
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If it will crank it's not the key.
Old 09-13-2010, 08:22 PM
JAKE
Le Mans Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Azriel
I'm having that problem where my '88 coupe decides to not let me leave where I currently am. It'll crank, but it will not turn over. The car is cold, so it's not a heat soak issue, and if I wait x amount of time, it'll start and act normal. Where should I go from here?

My key is old, so I probably need a new one. How much would that be?

Should I just test the key and find out which key it is and get a bypass kit for the VATS?
That's contradictory statement (highlighted). Crank(ing) and "turn over" mean the same thing. What you're saying by writing that statement is 'it'll crank but it won't crank' or 'it'll turn over but it won't turn over'.

If the engine will crank/turn over, it's not VATS.

Jake
Old 09-14-2010, 12:01 AM
Azriel
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by JAKE
That's contradictory statement (highlighted). Crank(ing) and "turn over" mean the same thing. What you're saying by writing that statement is 'it'll crank but it won't crank' or 'it'll turn over but it won't turn over'.

If the engine will crank/turn over, it's not VATS.

Jake
Well, ya learn something new daily. So, if it'll try to start, but won't it's not VATS? That's upsetting.
Old 09-14-2010, 12:51 AM
jfb
Team Owner

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

It isn't the key either. Engines need spark, spark at the right time, fuel and air and in the correct ratio, and cylinder compression in order to start and continue to run. When it won't start, THAT is the time to do some diagnostics and find out what is missing. Use a timing light to see if you have spark during cranking. Use a fuel pressure gauge to see if you have 35 to 42 psi and if it holds up with the ign off. Use a noid light plugged into an injector on each cylinder bank during cranking to see if it pulses. You can make your own noid light with an LED (light emitting diode) in series with a 680 ohm resistor. The homemade noid light must be connected with the correct polarity, you can try it both ways.
The starter motor, "turns over" the engine in order for it to start and run.
Old 09-14-2010, 12:59 AM
Azriel
Melting Slicks

But it only doesn't start at random intervals, like this morning. After work, when I got home, it started right up no problem. Logically, I don't see how something can fail, but then not fail. I've replaced spark plugs, spark plug wires, distributor cap, rotor cap, the air filter is properly placed. I don't exactly have a Fuel pressure gauge or the money to get one, but I pressed on that thing on the passenger side and it spews gas pretty religiously with the key on.
Old 09-14-2010, 11:23 AM
0Paul Ruggeri
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Electrical problems can be intermittent. Could be something like a fuel pump relay. You just have to diagnose when the problem is there.
Old 09-14-2010, 09:37 PM
Stealthvette
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try replacing the Ignition Module. They can be intermittent when going bad. They aren't expensive, either. But get a good one. Make sure that the screws holding down the coil are tight because I found out a loose ground can kill your IM.
Old 09-15-2010, 10:37 AM
pmihaltian
Slingshot
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul Ruggeri
Electrical problems can be intermittent. Could be something like a fuel pump relay. You just have to diagnose when the problem is there.
Could be a failing fuel pump or fuel pump relay. If your Corvette is 20+ years old and on the original fuel pump, you are on borrowed time. You need to check the fuel pressure when it is cranking but not starting. Also, a fuel pressure gage is about $35 - $50; get one, you will need it if you are goig to maintain your C4 yourself.
Old 09-15-2010, 10:42 AM
pmihaltian
Slingshot
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Fuel pressure gage....

Here you go:

http://www.ecklers.com/corvette-fuel...1985-1998.html

Shop around & you may find one cheaper.
Attached Images  

Get notified of new replies

To Intermittent starting