C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

421 almost started but....

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2010, 08:36 PM
88BlackZ-51
Race Director

Received 41 Likes on 26 Posts

Default 421 almost started but....

So we had everything all hooked up, and ready to go. Turn the key, and no spark, and the fuel pump would not shut off.

To make a long story short, I bought a FAST Classic system a while back because I didnt want to burn chips all my life to dial in the tune as this combo is not even close to being anything close to stock.

The system was converted by Rick White whom I bought this from. It was originally a bank to bank system, but he paid to have it switched over to sequential. We had a hell of a time getting it to work, and then I find out that since it was converted to sequential you use all fan controls, and fuel pump control. I learn that the previous owner didnt drive this car on the street, and it was a race car.

My car will be the exact opposite (99% street) so I need those controls. Hence we had to rip out my wiring harness again, and ship all my stuff to Dan White at White's Racing for him to look at it. I also made a call to FAST, and they told me to ship it back to them and pay $50, and they will switch it back to bank to bank.

Now the distrubutor I bought is a Accel dual sync distrubutor. This unit doesnt seem to jive with everything else so I will be forced to sell it.

My question is. The link below is the distrubutor I am going to buy, but I was told that it's a little bit taller then my Accel dual sync. The reason I am still going with a dual sync "external coil" is so I can run my MSD 6AL, and my MSD Coil Blaster. It will still work with bank, to bank, and if I want to go seq in the future then I dont have to buy another distrubutor.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/FST-305005/

Will this fit under the C4 hood? I dont have the HEI here to compare too.

If anyone is looking for an accel unit. Mine will be for sale soon.

Even though this has been a pita process. I am still glad I went with a stand alone system to tune this thing.

So anyways. When I get the wiring harness back with the FAST etc......Throw it back in again, and turn the key!

Take care guys.

Last edited by 88BlackZ-51; 09-12-2010 at 08:45 PM.
Old 09-13-2010, 02:46 AM
5abivt
Safety Car

Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

Sucks to hear Rick. if you can tell me what revision your dual sync is I may take it off your hands. pm me a price etc.
Old 09-13-2010, 06:44 AM
88BlackZ-51
Race Director

Originally Posted by 8000RPM
Sucks to hear Rick. if you can tell me what revision your dual sync is I may take it off your hands. pm me a price etc.
I will send u the part #.
Old 09-13-2010, 10:19 AM
mos90
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

rick, that distributor should work fine. dont think it will be to high.

i learned my lesson the hard way too. i was told i needed a splice in harness and that was not the case. i ended up going with a fast xfi and a standard harness, it worked much better and was 10x easier to install. after i spent 2 days splicing wires and had to take it back out. the problem ended up being that i was picking up some interference in the msd distibutor and it was causing a skip at high rpms. so i had to switch to a crank trigger.

why not go with a crank trigger, much easier time and far more accurate. mine works great and took 10 minutes to set timing up.
Old 09-13-2010, 10:20 AM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,043 Posts

Good luck. It's hard enough, sometimes, to convert to an aftermarket engine management system and even harder when converting a used system after it has been modified and cut. As your finding out, it might have been better to pay for a new one rather than go through what your going through now. Hope it all works out.
Old 09-13-2010, 03:19 PM
88BlackZ-51
Race Director

Originally Posted by 383vett
Good luck. It's hard enough, sometimes, to convert to an aftermarket engine management system and even harder when converting a used system after it has been modified and cut. As your finding out, it might have been better to pay for a new one rather than go through what your going through now. Hope it all works out.
I wish I knew this when I bought it. The guy I bought it from said it will all work together, and it didnt. (minus the headaches of the fan and fuelpump controls).
Old 09-13-2010, 03:20 PM
88BlackZ-51
Race Director

Originally Posted by mos90
rick, that distributor should work fine. dont think it will be to high.

i learned my lesson the hard way too. i was told i needed a splice in harness and that was not the case. i ended up going with a fast xfi and a standard harness, it worked much better and was 10x easier to install. after i spent 2 days splicing wires and had to take it back out. the problem ended up being that i was picking up some interference in the msd distibutor and it was causing a skip at high rpms. so i had to switch to a crank trigger.

why not go with a crank trigger, much easier time and far more accurate. mine works great and took 10 minutes to set timing up.
what do u have in mind? might be too late. the FAST box is on the way to FAST, and they need to know what dist. the classic is nothing like the XFI.
Old 09-14-2010, 11:09 AM
VanSpeed
Pro

Received 80 Likes on 50 Posts

Sounds like more challenges, good luck. Post some pictures when it is all put together.

Brian
Old 09-16-2010, 02:37 PM
88BlackZ-51
Race Director

Originally Posted by VanSpeed
Sounds like more challenges, good luck. Post some pictures when it is all put together.

Brian

Thanks buddy. It's been a long road, but there will be a light at the end of the tunnel.

Get notified of new replies

To 421 almost started but....

Quick Reply: 421 almost started but....