C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

1988 Left Rear Tail Light

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2010, 02:40 PM
dsmithh
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1988 Left Rear Tail Light

I have to replace the turn signal bulb in the outermost left rear tail light. I have referenced the shop manual, and it has advised reaching up from underneath the rear bumper to get at the light socket. My arm just isn't skinny enough to do that! I have also removed the license plate, but the far light is just to far over there. I sure would appreciate any tips or tricks that members have to get this job done.
Old 09-11-2010, 02:57 PM
Keystring
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's and old thread with alternative instructions to remove it.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c4-t...ment-help.html

Or find someone with skinny arms!

Last edited by Keystring; 09-11-2010 at 03:46 PM.
Old 09-11-2010, 04:37 PM
dsmithh
Advanced

I have gotten my left hand all the way up to the lamp socket, by going between the tailpipes, and loosening the bumper cover a bit. I can feel the socket twist a little, but cannot figure out how to get it out. I also feel some kind of 'tab' at the 10-11 o'clock position that seems to push in. Does this unit twist out, or pull out?
Old 09-11-2010, 05:03 PM
Keystring
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Push the tab and twist.
Old 09-11-2010, 06:53 PM
redrose
Melting Slicks

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

press the tab toward center and 'unscrew' the bulb holder abt 1/4 turn, then pull holder/bulb out from lamp assy...instruct your hand, under threat of severest punishment, to remember the 'clock' position of the locking tab at the INSTANT that the holder departed the lamp assy, to reduce air pollution (blue words) when re-installing the holder/new bulb.
Old 09-11-2010, 07:16 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

With the outside light out, it may be a good time to replace all 4 lights. The factory used a grease to keep moisture out and over the years, this grease will have hardened and the chances are good that the bulb will either break or come loose from the metal base. Then you will need a pair of needle-nose pliers to twist the base out of the socket.

The best way is to remove the license plate, followed by the back up lamp housing (need a 10mm socket and small ratchet).

Reach thru the opening exposed by the plate and remove the two 10mm nuts that hold the inboard lamp housing Pull that out far enough so you can grab the tab on the socket. Push the tab down and twist the socket so it comes out. Now you have a large hole to reach the outside lamp housing. Remove the two nuts and pull that out.

Now is a good time to clean the housings. Squirt some Dawn dishwashing soap in the housing along with some warm water. Shake vigorously and let them sit for 5 minutes or so. Pour out the mix and rinse with clean tap water until all the soap is gone. Sit them out in the sun with the hole down and let them completely dry.

Get 4 Sylvania "Long Life" 1157 bulbs. You can find them at any parts store. Also get a small tube of Permatex dielectric grease. You will have to scrape out all of the old yellow dried grease and make sure the two contacts in the socket are clean. Wipe on a light coat of the dielectric grease on the socket walls, the bulb socket and the contacts and lead terminals of the bulbs (Q-Tips work greate here). Put the new bulbs in and test the lights.

Clean, polish, and wax the 4 recesses of the bumper cover and replace everything.

Treat yourself to a beer or four and go pick up the tools you tossed across the garage because the ratchet slipped and dropped on the floor, replace the original bloody bandaids that stopped the bleeding from the scratches on your arms and enjoy the new lights
Old 09-12-2010, 06:02 PM
dsmithh
Advanced

Much of what you say is the truth. Unfortunately, I read it after i got the job done. I ended up removing a bolt that held the bumper cover tight, the license plate, and the drivers side backup light. Still somewhat of a painful experience to get up there to reach these bulb sockets. I replaced the two drivers side, since I had that side opened up. There was some kind of compound in the sockets that I cleaned out. Plus, I broke one buld when removing. Good thing I could reach under with my left arm, and across with the right, through the license plate hole. Wow, talk about a do it by feel project !

Get notified of new replies

To 1988 Left Rear Tail Light

Quick Reply: 1988 Left Rear Tail Light