C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Wow, What a Difference!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2010, 08:34 PM
anciano
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was getting some pretty hot temps, too, usually around 200 on the open road and 225 in traffic or up long hills with slower traffic in front. I checked with a local radiator shop and they wanted $200 for a complete engine/radiator flush for my '94. But the coolant was so cruddy (apparently the original Dex-cool) that I figured more drastic measures were needed and ordered a new radiator -- it was a lot cheaper than the flush, anyway. Pulled the knock sensors and all hoses and flushed the hell out of the engine block and heater core, then installed the new radiator and thermostat with Prestone yellow stuff and Water Wetter. Now it hits 185 and stops rising like it hits a brick wall, except sitting in traffic or long pulls uphill where it might hit 200.

Needless to say, I'm a cool, happy camper.

BTW, I had to install the new radiator twice because I had a mystery leak after the original installation. It was probably just a less-than-snug drain plug on the new radiator, but I panicked at the pool of coolant gathering under the car and drained and yanked the whole thing again to check for leaks in the radiator itself. Now this is the interesting part: the first time it took me two half-days (mornings when it was cooler)to remove the old radiator and install the new. But the second time around I did the whole job in three hours. I'm used to this, since I have had the same result many times in years of working on motorcycles.

But that brings me to mention that one of the motorcycle groups I belonged to used to have regular "tech days" where owners would gather to collectively perform simple maintenance or modifications, taking advantage of the collective experience of the group. It seems to me that this would be a VERY good idea for 'Vette owners. All it takes is somebody with a garage, some tools (or participants can bring theirs) and a phone for calling out for pizza. It's a good chance to meet fellow owners, swap lies, and get some work done the fast and easy -- or at least easier -- way.
Old 09-12-2010, 05:17 PM
Phil stock 91
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You would not beleve the differance it will make when you a remove the radiator carefully strighten all the fins and flush out all the crap between them small bugs sand ect

Quick Reply: Wow, What a Difference!!