C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Broken Cam

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2010, 11:26 AM
T. Wayne Nelson
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Broken Cam

OK--I was driving the Vette to meet with Jim for coffee. About a 100 yards from the coffee shop my car just quits. When Jim got to my car we started checking for the problem. I have a Multi/Sync distributor and I asked Jim to Turn the engine over so I could check the light in the dist. As he was turning the motor over I noticed that the rotor was not turning...BROKEN CAM!!!

I called my friend Vince who has a shop to see if there was any trick to getting the broken piece out. He said pull the engine as you will need to check the bearing for any possible damage. Ok-engine is out, and I now need to purchase a new cam. Some other cam manufactures told me that Comp uses Chinese cores and they have had some problems with breakage. Comp says the problem is due to the design of the SBC and they are prone to breaking cams.
The question is before I purcahse a new cam I would like any input from you guys out there on cam breakage, as pulling your engine in your garage is a PITA. Photos below

Old 09-04-2010, 11:38 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Comp says the problem is due to the design of the SBC and they are prone to breaking cams.

Is your distributor shaft intact?

Sure comp still makes some good products but Ive had failures too. From now on it will be a private grinder or something like Isky Crower etc. Someplace that hasnt gotten to big and has better QC
Old 09-04-2010, 11:42 AM
aboatguy
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by T. Wayne Nelson
OK--I was driving the Vette to meet with Jim for coffee. About a 100 yards from the coffee shop my car just quits. When Jim got to my car we started checking for the problem. I have a Multi/Sync distributor and I asked Jim to Turn the engine over so I could check the light in the dist. As he was turning the motor over I noticed that the rotor was not turning...BROKEN CAM!!!

I called my friend Vince who has a shop to see if there was any trick to getting the broken piece out. He said pull the engine as you will need to check the bearing for any possible damage. Ok-engine is out, and I now need to purchase a new cam. Some other cam manufactures told me that Comp uses Chinese cores and they have had some problems with breakage. Comp says the problem is due to the design of the SBC and they are prone to breaking cams.
The question is before I purcahse a new cam I would like any input from you guys out there on cam breakage, as pulling your engine in your garage is a PITA. Photos below

AFAIK GM made beaucoup Small block engines and in my 30 plus years of messing with them I haven't seen a broken cam... so I believe comps statement about SBC being prone to breaking cams is SUSPECT.
Looking at your pics seems like your engine is not stock.
I've used a few comp cams over the years with no problems I wonder if something has changed IE "the chinese core rumor". If I was in your shoes I'd call a quality shop and order a custom cam IE from AI, or one of the other shops....

(been running a custom AI cam for a couple of years ....lots of 7,000+ rpm run time with no drama.......Good luck

Mike
Old 09-04-2010, 12:01 PM
T. Wayne Nelson
Racer

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette

Is your distributor shaft intact?

Sure comp still makes some good products but Ive had failures too. From now on it will be a private grinder or something like Isky Crower etc. Someplace that hasnt gotten to big and has better QC
the distributor is intact, it looks like the cam broke right in front of 7-8 cylinders, so there should only be a short stub left, which we will pull from in back, I will remove the freeze plug and then I can see if there is any damage to the bearing. I am look at a custom grind and the 4-7 swap from Isky. A little more money, but you get what you pay for and pulling the engine is crappy. After what I am hearing, I am a llittle gunshy of Comp. The Isky has a two year warrantee for what thats worth.
Old 09-04-2010, 12:20 PM
CFI-EFI
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by t. Wayne nelson
the distributor is intact, it looks like the cam broke right in front of 7-8 cylinders, so there should only be a short stub left, which we will pull from in back, i will remove the freeze plug and then i can see if there is any damage to the bearing. I am look at a custom grind and the 4-7 swap from isky. A little more money, but you get what you pay for and pulling the engine is crappy. After what i am hearing, i am a llittle gunshy of comp. the isky has a two year warrantee for what thats worth.
Will they come and help us pull the engine next time if theirs breaks?

Race on!!!
Jim

Last edited by CFI-EFI; 09-04-2010 at 12:22 PM. Reason: TYPOS
Old 09-04-2010, 12:27 PM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Received 376 Likes on 312 Posts

Originally Posted by CFI-EFI

Race on!!!
Jim
I hear you there! Rod bearing just went out on my rebuild. I've got a filter full of copper flakes.
Old 09-04-2010, 12:33 PM
cv67
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '05

Race on!!!
Jim
Well well well, look who stopped in
Old 09-04-2010, 12:49 PM
CFI-EFI
Race Director

well well well, look who stopped in
i was happy to see that you checked in to help wayne. How have you been, ron? Do you want to come up and help put that sucker back in? I think this is number 4 this year, including the vorfire.

Race on!!!
Jim
Old 09-04-2010, 03:11 PM
T. Wayne Nelson
Racer

Here's a photo of the broken cam.. The distributor gear looks like it has "zero wear". The bearing does need to be replaced, thanks Vince.......

Old 09-04-2010, 03:30 PM
tblt44
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's a photo of the broken cam.. The distributor gear looks like it has "zero wear". The bearing does need to be replaced, thanks Vince.......

Wow how do yoi break a cam?????
Were you just driving normal ?????????
Old 09-04-2010, 04:22 PM
Churchkey
Melting Slicks

Received 102 Likes on 92 Posts

Suggest turning the oil pump it may be locked up.
Old 09-04-2010, 06:24 PM
T. Wayne Nelson
Racer

Originally Posted by Churchkey
Suggest turning the oil pump it may be locked up.
Just checked it and it turned easly..

Wow how do yoi break a cam?????
Were you just driving normal ?????????

30 miles per hour just shifted into high and convertor locked up, normal as you can drive.....Have no idea unless comps cores made by the Chinese are crap....
Old 09-04-2010, 07:08 PM
cv67
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '05

I think this is number 4 this year, including the vorfire.

Race on!!!
Jim

Would love to but cant seem to get time off at this job and buried with porting work right now. Possibly this fall I may get some off time
Old 09-04-2010, 07:39 PM
Calderone
Le Mans Master

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

wow never seen something like this !!!
how long did you have that cam ? i have a comp cam as well made for Lingenfelter
now im scared
Old 09-04-2010, 07:55 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

What about the rest of the valvetrain? Any indication of a bad lifter? bent pushrods? Does the timing chain look like it may have stretched/ jumped? Any indication of valve to piston damage?

The distributor gear is weaker metal so if the oil pump froze or there was damage to the gear on the distributor, the gear should have broken long before the cam.

Of course it's entirely possible that it was a bad casting or forging, or even some bad metal. But Comp's comment about SBC cam breakage is

When you get a new cam. install new cam bearings. Not worth risking a new cam if there is a chance one of the existing cam bearings has any damage or has spun in the bore. With a break like that, it's a good idea to clean out the oil passages to get rid of any small pieces or shavings of metal.
Old 09-04-2010, 09:48 PM
87 vette 81 big girl
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Everything is being made in China under the sun it seems anymore.

I used to use Competition Cams Camshafts in the 1990's.

I have been using Iskenderian and Crower Camshafts and valvetrain parts exclusivily.

Thats a shame, Comp Cams used to make excellent camshafts, lasted for many of thousand of miles for me. Often turning 8,000+Rpm's.

After seeing your broken camshaft in your Corvette, I will definatley stay clear of them.

China Metal Sourced Cores is what they are buying. I have heard that from others in the Racing Business last few years.

China ='s @$^&*(*()(^$ !
Old 09-05-2010, 01:23 AM
T. Wayne Nelson
Racer

Originally Posted by c4cruiser
What about the rest of the valvetrain? Any indication of a bad lifter? bent pushrods? Does the timing chain look like it may have stretched/ jumped? Any indication of valve to piston damage?

The distributor gear is weaker metal so if the oil pump froze or there was damage to the gear on the distributor, the gear should have broken long before the cam.

Of course it's entirely possible that it was a bad casting or forging, or even some bad metal. But Comp's comment about SBC cam breakage is

When you get a new cam. install new cam bearings. Not worth risking a new cam if there is a chance one of the existing cam bearings has any damage or has spun in the bore. With a break like that, it's a good idea to clean out the oil passages to get rid of any small pieces or shavings of metal.
So far everything looks fine. The oil pump amd dist spin nicely. I have no bent push rods, it doesn't look as there is any valve problems. On tues I will make an appointment to have the cam bearings replaced. Right now, my choice of cam companies looks to be Isky, I will try one of thier 4/7 swaps. I think I will have a custom grind at 236/236 duration, 600 lift and a 112 LSA. The cam that broke was a 244/244 600 lift and a 110 LSA. It looks to give me 50 lbs more torque from 3000 rpm up than the broken cam did. That comes from the LSA. I am sick about all of the expense, work, time and now worring about what caused the cam to break its driving me crazy. Isky said that thier cores are all USA.....

Get notified of new replies

To Broken Cam

Old 09-05-2010, 02:54 AM
JAKE
Le Mans Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Seems like an anomaly to me? Considering all the different Forums I visit I don't recall a post similar to OP's. A cam that just broke.

Who knows? I mean who REALLY KNOWS where these cam companies get their cores?

At one time COMPCAMS was credited with getting their cores from CRANE which were supposed to be the best cores available, but what about now? Where was CRANE getting them?

Where are Lunati, Isky and others getting theirs? Are they now buying cores from COMPCAMS? If cores are like so many other parts for our engines there are only a very few companies that manufacture them.

Think about valve springs while you're at it: Where's the wire coming from; who actually mixes the alloy; who actually winds it? Take the catchy name like "Patriot Gold", ask yourself, what part does the company that sells "Patriot Gold" springs actually play in their manufacture. Do they just buy 'em and put them in their box?

There's a LOT we don't know. What we end up doing is putting our trust in the company we buy the cam from. However, when it comes to valve springs, at least CompCams gives all the details about their springs right in their newest catalog.

Nothing yet on cores though, but I'll keep looking.

Jake
Old 09-05-2010, 06:45 AM
CFI-EFI
Race Director

Would love to but cant seem to get time off at this job and buried with porting work right now. Possibly this fall i may get some off time
i am happy to hear you are busy with porting work. Good show!

Race on!!!
Jim
The following users liked this post:
JD'S WHITE 93 (07-02-2022)
Old 09-05-2010, 09:01 AM
JackDidley
Race Director

Received 232 Likes on 164 Posts

Comp needs to replace that cam. SBCs do not break cams, thats BS. Word gets around and they will lose a lot of sales. Pretty sure I wont buy one after seeing this thread. I actually have one on the shelf and it will probably stay there.

Quick Reply: Broken Cam