C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Adjustable thermostat

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2010, 08:01 AM
Moon86
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adjustable thermostat

Was just reading ANOTHER thread on thermostats when I started to wonder why the aftermarket never came up with an adjustable thermostat. We have computer controlled everything on our engines and we're still using something out of the stone age to control the operating temps. I suppose it's the same reason nobody ever came up with an oil level gauge or warning light.
Old 08-14-2010, 08:08 AM
WW7
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by Moon86
Was just reading ANOTHER thread on thermostats when I started to wonder why the aftermarket never came up with an adjustable thermostat. We have computer controlled everything on our engines and we're still using something out of the stone age to control the operating temps. I suppose it's the same reason nobody ever came up with an oil level gauge or warning light.
I believe the later C4 Corvettes do have a oil level sensor..Amazing!!....WW
Old 08-14-2010, 11:30 AM
aboatguy
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by WW7
I believe the later C4 Corvettes do have a oil level sensor..Amazing!!....WW
..... You are correct low level warning for coolant.....and oil.......

For the OPs thermostat question..... What would you gain by having an adjustable thermostat? All the thermostat does is open at a certain temp IOT allow the engine to come up to operating temperature more quickly. The thermostat doesn't control coolant temperature, on later C4s the fans are computer controlled....since controlling radiator airflow can make a huge difference on coolant temps.

In my opinion most C4s don't have an overheating problem they have an owner seeing information that he doesnt get on other vehicles and believes there is an overheating problem.

Mike
Old 08-14-2010, 11:10 PM
pletzvet
Pro

I agree, Boatguy...
Even if there was such a thing as an adjustable coolant thermostat, based on ALL of the erroneous thinking of what a thermostat does there would be an endless number of Corvette owners and good number of technicians that would be cranking that baby back to it's coldest limit to cool these cars down.

These cars were designed to run with nice and hot operating temps (and the t-stat has nothing to do with that) and furthermore, the C4 has proven itself over and over, that their warm-blooded engines don't wear out prematurely because of high operating temps. With a well-maintained L98 easily seeing 200K miles and able to reach 300K miles, I'd say the GM engineers got this one pretty good.
Old 08-15-2010, 01:21 AM
samsonb
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Haha. And what would the point be in having an adjustable thermostat? You pick your rating, 160, 180, or 195 and drop it in.

The stats seem to be working just fine. You don't really want to add anything more complicated if you don't have to.
Old 08-15-2010, 10:05 AM
seenalot
Instructor

Originally Posted by Moon86
I suppose it's the same reason nobody ever came up with an oil level gauge or warning light.
My 2002 Audi A-4 has an electronic "oil level warning light". Shorted and gave a false waning, $100 buck for trouble shooting / repair. Its an unnecessary item that a $4 dipstick replaces. There are certain things that need monitoring / electronic, many others don't. The 20 cent "next oil change" date & mileage works great. No need for the electronic calendar / mileage count down. Cars are expensive enough.
Old 08-15-2010, 12:07 PM
coupeguy2001
Le Mans Master

Received 144 Likes on 106 Posts
2021 C4 of the Year - Modified Finalist

The problem is the name of the thermostat.
People equate it with the thermostat that controls the temperature in their houses.
Maybe they misnamed the thermostat in the house. it should be "maximum temperature controller" or "artificial temperature control".
Thermostats on cars should be named "minimum temperature controller"
Old 08-15-2010, 02:31 PM
hooked073
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the thermoststat does help control the temp of the engine along with the fans. It open and closes at set temp to hold cooleant in the rad so the fans can do their job and cool it down. they are like a thermostate in a house then along with the fans maintain the operating temp of the car, take a stat out and your temps will be all over the place cause there is nothing to maintain it. It is not like once the stat opens for the day it stays open it open closes to meet that set temp otherwise why even have one. the principle has not changed sence the 50's except before electic fans it was easier to change operating temps becuse you did not have to worry about fan timing they ran all the time. pop in a 160 stat or a 180 and your vehicle would run about that temp now fan timing is a factor in to that
Old 08-15-2010, 05:36 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

Originally Posted by hooked073
It open and closes at set temp to hold cooleant in the rad so the fans can do their job and cool it down.
I don't think you understand how the cooling system operates. Have Coupeguy inform you.
Old 08-15-2010, 06:04 PM
hooked073
Melting Slicks

I understand perfectly how a cooling system works. If a thermost does not maintain temp in relation to the fan what does why have a thermostat???? If the fans ran all the time what would the temp be with out a thermost and what would they be with?? Yes the fans play a part but what do you think the engine keeps a maginal temp if things are working right without a thrermost. Do you not think the thermost opens and closes to maintain that them going down the road? from start cooleant is held in the block untill the operating temp of the thermostat once that is reached cooler colleant enters the block cooling the engine once the engine gets to the low side of the stats set point the stat closes holding colleant in the rad cooling in down it is a cycle if you dont have a stat to hold cooleant in the rad to cool it down it will just keep flowing and no way to regulate temp? There is no way you can tell me that a engine can maintain a constant temp with out a stat or woring this way....
Old 08-15-2010, 06:11 PM
hooked073
Melting Slicks

Thermostat: the t-stat is a temperature sensitive orifice in the cooling system that opens and closes according to engine temperature to regulate the flow of coolant/anti-freeze through the radiator and back to the engine. This allows for the engine to be run at specific temperatures to optimize the performance and emissions levels of the vehicle.

This from GM instructors manual 1983
Old 08-16-2010, 12:08 AM
samsonb
Safety Car

Thermostat: the t-stat is a temperature sensitive orifice in the cooling system that opens and closes according to engine temperature to regulate the flow of coolant/anti-freeze through the radiator and back to the engine. This allows for the engine to be run at specific temperatures to optimize the performance and emissions levels of the vehicle.

This from GM instructors manual 1983
I believe the main purpose is to let the engine warm up quickly since it is closed till it gets to 195 or whatever the stat rating is.
Old 08-16-2010, 03:45 AM
chileverde
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by coupeguy2001
Thermostats on cars should be named "minimum temperature controller"

Corvette thermostats in essence control the suggested minimum temperature the motor will run at while the thermostatically controlled electric radiator cooling fans establish the suggested maximum temperature.

key word is above is "suggested", since other factors also play into the car's ability to maintain a given temperature, such as engine speed (rpm), water pump flow (gph), engine load, radiator size, air flow restriction, coolant viscosity, etc....
Old 08-16-2010, 10:42 AM
hooked073
Melting Slicks

corvette thermostas are no different then any other stats in any other car. think back 20 or 30 years ago what happens when a stat gets stuck open on a 30 degree day your engine temp goes way down you loose you heat because there is no way to controll the temp. go the other way a stat gets stuck open on a 105 day your temps are going to climp because the cooleant is going to freee flow threw the rad and not be cooled. Remember back in the day when it was almost a ritual for people to throw a 160 stat in for the summer to lower temps and it did with no messing with fans or any thing cause they were running all the time then as soon as it got cold they would rush to change them cause they had no heat why becuse the stats were controlling this no diferent now. If the stats job was just to let the car warm to a spec temp what keeps the car running at a more or less steady temp? if the fans are running all the time they cannot controll a steady temp because they are not changing they keep running so what does maintain the engine temp if it is not the stat?? Hell you can sit in your car and watch the stat open and close if you have a good temp gauge. If you have a 180 stat the temps will rise right above it and stop then they will climp some and then boom they will drop fast that is the stat opening and letting cooled cooleant back into the block the fans had nothing to do with this timing except to cool the cooleant while it sat in the rad waiting to do its job again. if your theory is right why not just take stats out of cars and have the fans come on at what temp we want to keep things stady? Do this if you are so sure. With out a doubt on a 100 deg day with out a stat engine temp will reach at least 200 degrees sitting so pull the stat out of your car set your fans to come on at 160 and go for a long drive in traffic out on the highway ect and you will no maintain the 160 that your fans are sat at. go ahead try it see what happens. think about this going down the highway how often do your fans come on??? they dont because the air rushing threw the rad while going down the road is all that is needed to cool the cooleant in the rad. So what keeps your car operating at same temp at this point? It is not the fans they are taken out of play. There is nothing to open and close the air stream going across the rad so it has to be the stats keeping things in check. Fans play an importent part in all of this. But again lots of times they are not needed becuse of air flow going down the road. Their only job is to pull or push air threw the fins of the rad when needed that is it.
Old 08-16-2010, 10:56 AM
in-vette-uation
Instructor

sorry, couldn't help myself...

go the other way a stat gets stuck open on a 105 day your temps are going to climp because the cooleant is going to freee flow threw the rad and not be cooled. (sic)

so, you actually think this stat is going to close again above 160° in order to COOL the engine?!

383vett is right, but go ahead, knock yourself out!
Old 08-16-2010, 12:11 PM
hooked073
Melting Slicks

All I can say is try it. if you do not think a stat does controll temp take them out. And yes it does open and close to controll temp daaaaaaaaaa. How else do you controll it
Old 08-16-2010, 12:19 PM
hooked073
Melting Slicks

I guess every begining manual that ford chev or dodge has ever put out about the theroy of cooling is wrong and that all the instructors over the past 40 years including me have been wrong and that even the information that the stat companines put out are wrong. I guess the own makers do not know how their product works and that all the manufactures go to all the time and money to put stats in when all the really have to do is have a fan kick on seems smart to me. So pull your stats turn you fans to kick at 160 and have fun ruuning who know what temps at anytime........

Get notified of new replies

To Adjustable thermostat

Old 08-16-2010, 02:19 PM
chileverde
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hooked... man... take some english classes.

i get that you probably understand , but until you can put your thoughts effectively in text, it's best you just step back from the keyboard here bro.
Old 08-16-2010, 02:56 PM
hooked073
Melting Slicks

sorry about english bad accident about a year ago nesses with spelling and stuff messed. and I do not mean to come off pig headed
Old 08-16-2010, 04:01 PM
samsonb
Safety Car

corvette thermostas are no different then any other stats in any other car. think back 20 or 30 years ago what happens when a stat gets stuck open on a 30 degree day your engine temp goes way down you loose you heat because there is no way to controll the temp. go the other way a stat gets stuck open on a 105 day your temps are going to climp because the cooleant is going to freee flow threw the rad and not be cooled. Remember back in the day when it was almost a ritual for people to throw a 160 stat in for the summer to lower temps and it did with no messing with fans or any thing cause they were running all the time then as soon as it got cold they would rush to change them cause they had no heat why becuse the stats were controlling this no diferent now. If the stats job was just to let the car warm to a spec temp what keeps the car running at a more or less steady temp? if the fans are running all the time they cannot controll a steady temp because they are not changing they keep running so what does maintain the engine temp if it is not the stat?? Hell you can sit in your car and watch the stat open and close if you have a good temp gauge. If you have a 180 stat the temps will rise right above it and stop then they will climp some and then boom they will drop fast that is the stat opening and letting cooled cooleant back into the block the fans had nothing to do with this timing except to cool the cooleant while it sat in the rad waiting to do its job again. if your theory is right why not just take stats out of cars and have the fans come on at what temp we want to keep things stady? Do this if you are so sure. With out a doubt on a 100 deg day with out a stat engine temp will reach at least 200 degrees sitting so pull the stat out of your car set your fans to come on at 160 and go for a long drive in traffic out on the highway ect and you will no maintain the 160 that your fans are sat at. go ahead try it see what happens. think about this going down the highway how often do your fans come on??? they dont because the air rushing threw the rad while going down the road is all that is needed to cool the cooleant in the rad. So what keeps your car operating at same temp at this point? It is not the fans they are taken out of play. There is nothing to open and close the air stream going across the rad so it has to be the stats keeping things in check. Fans play an importent part in all of this. But again lots of times they are not needed becuse of air flow going down the road. Their only job is to pull or push air threw the fins of the rad when needed that is it.
You fail to mention the longer you hold coolant in the radiator to be cooled, then the longer you are keeping coolant in the engine to get hotter and hotter. So, then when it gets to the radiator, the coolant temp is hotter from sitting in the block longer.

Quick Reply: Adjustable thermostat