C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

scope of Engine damage

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2002, 09:45 PM
sputnick
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default scope of Engine damage

What damage can be caused in your engine if a piston comes apart from detonation. Is it a better idea to put a set of forged pistons in the motor at the same time as a supercharger or can you wait till you blow a piston then replace all 8? It seems that you can make more power with a supercharger and forged pistons in a 350 and with less money than you can in an expensive 396.
Old 03-26-2002, 10:10 PM
bogus
Team Owner

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Default Re: scope of Engine damage (sputnick)

What damage can be caused in your engine if a piston comes apart from detonation. Is it a better idea to put a set of forged pistons in the motor at the same time as a supercharger or can you wait till you blow a piston then replace all 8? It seems that you can make more power with a supercharger and forged pistons in a 350 and with less money than you can in an expensive 396.
if you replace the pistons, you have to replace the rings and bearings anyway... the downside is that if a piston blows apart, there is the risk of hurting the block, crank or any number of machined metal surfaces....
Old 03-26-2002, 10:13 PM
95BLKVette
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I blew a hyperutectic LT-1 piston 2 years ago with NOS.

It wasn't pretty, the rod beat against the cylinder bore and ruined it.....had to sleeve that cylinder. Also bent both valves and suck metal piston slivers throughout the whole engine:U

Change them to forged pistons first...you'll thank me later :D
Old 03-26-2002, 10:22 PM
Rich B.
Melting Slicks

What damage can be caused in your engine if a piston comes apart from detonation.
I think any time a piston or rod self-destructs it's time for serious inspection. That rod will be whipping around at high speed in an area where the cylinder walls are thin. Pieces of piston thrown around like shrapnel. The water jacket and oil passages can be damaged; the block itself can be structurally unstable. The head can be cracked; valves bent beyond salvage. Stress can crack or even break the crank.

Visual inspection should be followed by magnafluxing and/or radiography of all affected parts. The block and heads need to be hot-tanked to remove debris; oil pump needs rebuilding for same reason; ditto water pump, etc...

Doesn't sound like a cheap job, does it?... :nonod: Good luck!
Old 03-26-2002, 10:40 PM
sputnick
Instructor

Default Re: scope of Engine damage (95BLKVette)

I am thanking you already. Mind if i ask what you paid for your pistons,rods, crank and other bottom end hardware. The cost for those components in 355 and 383 sizes are very close, right? Depending on what they cost, i may be able to get myself a fully forged bottom end for free. How about machine costs. Hmm, may even be able to get a 396cu in. Then i'll strap on a blower. Hmm...i am getting excited.
Old 03-29-2002, 04:07 PM
CrazyBlk86
Intermediate

Lots of damage if the piston comes apart. As a matter of fact, it's been my experience that whenever anything comes apart in a motor, it is very bad.

As far of the pistons, how long are you going to wait until you add the supercharger? You may want to run a different piston when you add the supercharger, as you would want to run a slightly lower compression ratio.

Depends on the boost.

JMR

Get notified of new replies

To scope of Engine damage

Quick Reply: scope of Engine damage