C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Cluster

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2020, 01:23 AM
Max Toledo
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cluster

So I just bought a 1984 Corvette and I was just wondering if I could put a 1985 -1989 cluster in it because the numbers are a little bit easier to read so would I be able to put it in without any extra parts and will the connections be the same.
Old 10-28-2020, 11:09 AM
ctmccloskey
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,104 Likes on 876 Posts

You might want to call BATEE.COM and speak to him about your idea. Bryan is one of the experts who keeps our dashes Bright! Bryan might be able to help you get your original dashboard to work better so you are happy with it. When we rebuilt my C4 dashboard I was happy to use bulbs that don't produce the amount of heat the originals made. Frequently the Polarized covering has to be replaced to make the information more visible. I rebuilt the entire dash and the C68 A/C electronic controller all at one time.
There are electronic components used in the digital dashboard that have a 15 year life expectancy and they are 36 years old in your Corvette.

If you go to Ebay you will find converted dashboards that plug right in and use normal Analog gauges. The bad side to doing the swap is the Corvette will loose value to a Corvette Buff.

I would also like to welcome you to the Corvette Forum! This is the place if you have questions about your Corvette.
The following users liked this post:
kenmohr (10-29-2020)
Old 10-28-2020, 12:37 PM
Max Toledo
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the submission, will give him a call! If its not possible I'll just keep the original cluster because I don't really like the analog gauges, but thanks for the help.
Old 11-01-2020, 01:00 PM
ctmccloskey
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,104 Likes on 876 Posts

Hello again Max Toledo!

Smart move to keep the original Digital Dashboard affectionately known as the Atari Dash. The dashboards were a big selling point in the day. When people switch to anything but what came with the Corvette the value of the Corvette goes down.

The Polarized cover that goes on the dashboard gets damaged by sunlight and this makes it harder to read the information. Another issue that happens too often is the light sensor on the dash goes bad. Then it doesn't adjust for the brightness and this makes it harder to read.

If you look up Batee.com you will see he has a bunch of videos showing you everything you need to know about the dashboard. I actually bought the parts and fixed one of them on my own. If you have any electronics experience and are comfortable soldering you could save a bunch of money. It was not hard at all as long as your polarizing sheet is oriented the "Right" way. I did a dumb thing and put mine on incorrectly so I ordered another sheet and did it right the second time.
Batee.com will sell you all the parts as a kit and supply instructions. He is a quality Guy and he "knows" the digital dashboards.

When ever you have a question we are here to help you! This Forum is the best source of correct information I have seen for the Corvettes. Take a moment and fill out the profile page so people can see what model Corvette you have without repeating questions over and over. The more information we have the more we can help you with your Corvette questions.
The following 2 users liked this post by ctmccloskey:
CorvetteRules (11-01-2020), kenmohr (11-02-2020)
Old 04-17-2021, 11:01 PM
Ronnie Ronquillo
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I will call him next week, thank you

Get notified of new replies

To Cluster

Quick Reply: Cluster