C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

MAF or MAP ?? OBD1 or OBD2 ??

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 11:18 PM
Strike3
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default MAF or MAP ?? OBD1 or OBD2 ??

For all intents and purposes, I have a blank slate. I recently purchased a 92 coupe. It had been purchased by a racing concern and preps had barely started to modify the car for off road use only, before the plug was pulled and they abandon the project. I think the car sat there a year or so before they decided to sale. They had lost track of the original harnesses and electronics. When I got the car, the engine was gone but the original ZF trans, a centerforce pressure plate, clutch and aluminum flywheel were in the back of the car. the Dana 44 was in place untouched. The interior is actually in nice shape except they had began strippng out the dash harness. The PCM and other things gone (Including the radio). The engine bay is stripped of most wiring. I have began the engine build and have the shortblock ready to go in a 383 configuration. I have installed Comp Cam's version of the LT4 Hot Cam (or something close) The heads are Trickflow 195 cc intake runner heads with comp beehive springs and comp roller rockers. My intake is gasket matched to the heads and has a 58MM throttle body attached. I am going to install a Melrose long tube "Smooth Flow" Exhaust system.

My question is this. I have talked with various salvage parts people and can buy any engine wiring harness/ECM (92 thru 96) and any dash harness / PCM. If you had your choice of picking the system, which would you go far? On my engine, I have selected a 95 model. That is, I am using a "Large hole front cover" with a vented Optispark system as delivered on the 95. I'm also using a 95 intake.

Last edited by Strike3; 08-04-2010 at 11:23 PM.
Old 08-04-2010, 11:39 PM
rodj
Le Mans Master

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Strike3
My question is this. If you had your choice of picking the system, which would you go far? On my engine, I have selected a 95 model. That is, I am using a "Large hole front cover" with a vented Optispark system as delivered on the 95. I'm also using a 95 intake.
Depends
Does car still have the CCM in it? Major interface for all electronic systems and year unique
Old 08-05-2010, 04:04 AM
Strike3
Burning Brakes

No. The ccm is gone. Sorry! I typed PCM and ment CCM.
Old 08-05-2010, 08:47 AM
rodj
Le Mans Master

The ccm is gone. .
Big problem ,CCM interfaces all the systems in car and has a data link to PCM to enable car to start so you would need all year correct parts and wiring for whatever PCM you select
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/1554492041-post15.html

You could run the engine only ; off a aftermarket harness and make the gauges work but not sure if CCM is "needed" for other things to operate or if it is just a feedback / warning component.
Exp
CCM will throw a fault code if you install a aftermarket radio because the resistance of radio lighting circuit is different from what CCM expects to see
Old 08-05-2010, 07:48 PM
Strike3
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by rodj
Big problem ,CCM interfaces all the systems in car and has a data link to PCM to enable car to start so you would need all year correct parts and wiring for whatever PCM you select
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/1554492041-post15.html

You could run the engine only ; off a aftermarket harness and make the gauges work but not sure if CCM is "needed" for other things to operate or if it is just a feedback / warning component.
Exp
CCM will throw a fault code if you install a aftermarket radio because the resistance of radio lighting circuit is different from what CCM expects to see
OK! The question still remains. What year parts should I get?
Old 08-05-2010, 08:17 PM
rodj
Le Mans Master

OK! The question still remains. What year parts should I get?
Question remains;
Will rest of car operate without a CCM?
I would ask a question in Tech as to anybody running without one ( sorry I can't answer but my CCM equipped car is now a gutted shell with standalone engine management)
Personally I would stay away from 92-93 stuff ; limited production , ECM's expensive and hard to fine.
'94 +PCM is same as used in F-Bodies so plenty around and cheap ($75 ) .Only need to have correct tune installed
Old 08-05-2010, 08:24 PM
Strike3
Burning Brakes

Thanks. So If I go with 94/95 equipment I may have the best choice for tuning.........
Old 08-06-2010, 01:29 AM
rodj
Le Mans Master

So If I go with 94/95 equipment I may have the best choice for tuning.........
Nothing wrong with tuning capabilities of 92/ 93 setup as it has the old style removable chip whereas the 94+ PCM has a inbuilt memory requiring you to tune directly into the PCM
Same effect ; different software / equipment needed
Problem is the 16159278 ECM was only used in 92 / 93 Vettes and 93 F-Bodies so expensive if you can find one.
Would only recommend using it if you had one already
Old 08-07-2010, 09:10 AM
Strike3
Burning Brakes

Thanks rodi. I'd like to buy a beer sometime.
Old 08-07-2010, 09:22 AM
STL94LT1
Race Director

Received 81 Likes on 71 Posts

If possible you should get the 94/95 MAF/flashable PCM compared to the 92/93 SD/removeable eprom. The 94/95 setup is so much more easier to tune.
Old 08-13-2010, 11:31 PM
Bowtie8
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by strike3
for all intents and purposes, i have a blank slate. I recently purchased a 92 coupe. It had been purchased by a racing concern and preps had barely started to modify the car for off road use only, before the plug was pulled and they abandon the project. I think the car sat there a year or so before they decided to sale. They had lost track of the original harnesses and electronics. When i got the car, the engine was gone but the original zf trans, a centerforce pressure plate, clutch and aluminum flywheel were in the back of the car. The dana 44 was in place untouched. The interior is actually in nice shape except they had began strippng out the dash harness. The pcm and other things gone (including the radio). The engine bay is stripped of most wiring. I have began the engine build and have the shortblock ready to go in a 383 configuration. I have installed comp cam's version of the lt4 hot cam (or something close) the heads are trickflow 195 cc intake runner heads with comp beehive springs and comp roller rockers. My intake is gasket matched to the heads and has a 58mm throttle body attached. I am going to install a melrose long tube "smooth flow" exhaust system.

My question is this. I have talked with various salvage parts people and can buy any engine wiring harness/ecm (92 thru 96) and any dash harness / pcm. If you had your choice of picking the system, which would you go far? On my engine, i have selected a 95 model. That is, i am using a "large hole front cover" with a vented optispark system as delivered on the 95. I'm also using a 95 intake.
bigstuff 3

Get notified of new replies

To MAF or MAP ?? OBD1 or OBD2 ??

Quick Reply: MAF or MAP ?? OBD1 or OBD2 ??