C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

R-12 to R-134 ? How Difficult ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 11:50 AM
larry93lt1
Drifting

Location: Gaithersburg MD A member since 2007 but then the computer crashed and then the car crash loss of memory X 2
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default R-12 to R-134 ? How Difficult ?

AC in new to me 92 Coupe is not as cold as it should be. How difficult to change from R-12 to R-134. I have manifold gauge set and have evacuated and recharged my 96 Imp SS with no problem just relief after new charge. No longer have 96 Imp SS cause I traded it for the 92 6 speed coupe with 37 K miles. Now the 93 Torch red coupe has a friend to share garage with.

Is R-12 still available ? I thought, obviously incorrectly, it could no longer be used.

Is the evacuation procedure the same ?

Last edited by larry93lt1; 07-23-2010 at 04:22 PM.
Old 07-23-2010, 12:06 PM
Muffin
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

If you have only a small leak you may be well advised to stay with R12. R12 will cool better, system is designed for it, and the price has come down. Still not cheap but not outlandish as it used to be.
Old 07-23-2010, 03:54 PM
turbotim23
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd like to hear about this too. I thought you had to change a lot of little stuff like type of o rings used,type of oil used in system etc., that some of the hardware in old system won't work with r-134 but other people have said you don't have to change that much at all. Anyone know for sure?
Old 07-23-2010, 04:05 PM
pearlvett
Racer

Originally Posted by turbotim23
I'd like to hear about this too. I thought you had to change a lot of little stuff like type of o rings used,type of oil used in system etc., that some of the hardware in old system won't work with r-134 but other people have said you don't have to change that much at all. Anyone know for sure?
To do it right you need to change out the stuff you listed plus a new dryer and expansion valve. However most people do not and say it works fine. The best bet is to stay with R-12 works a TON better then R-134 ever thought about.
Old 07-23-2010, 04:54 PM
Kleantouch
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm in the process of rebuilding my compressor- 90 L98 r-12 freon. I talked to a guy at ackits.com and he said 134a needed a new evaporator (or was it condensor) for proper air flow, in addition to all the other parts, etc. I too was worried about getting r-12 freon, but then I checked ebay.... lots of cans out there. Or I can get it from my local auto parts store with a license- so for 19.99 I got my EPA 609 certification on line so i can buy the stuff. I'm sticking with r-12 and hope i don't have to do this again until 2020.

I can't say which one r-12 vs 134a is better because I just evacuated, vacuumed and recharged my 2003 Avalanche with 134a and it is blowing 40*F air out of the vents here in Southwest Louisiana, which is very good.

Last edited by Kleantouch; 07-23-2010 at 04:57 PM.
Old 07-23-2010, 10:23 PM
jhammons01
Le Mans Master

I agree...."to do it right".....

But if you'd like to to just swap it over??

It takes about 20 minutes and is very very easy to do. Just make sure that when you buy a kit you get hose with a gauge on it.

I've done three older cars with those kits all with good success. My most recent of course being my '84 Vette. I did the swap over in '06 and other than the slow leak, I've had no issues whatsoever and the thing blows nice and cold when fully charged.

I carry the hose in the bins, when the A/C starts to not blow cold, I stop in at any Wal-mart or auto parts store and buy a $5 can. It takes about 7-10 minutes in the parking lot to fill the system again....usually starts a few conversations about the clamshell and A/Cs in general. Folks can't believe I am filling my system right then and there.......

It's just a gas transfer

Last edited by jhammons01; 07-23-2010 at 10:26 PM.
Old 07-23-2010, 10:29 PM
kenv
Le Mans Master

Location: levittown pa. usa Even a bad day with my `Vette, is better than a good day at work
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by jhammons01
I agree...."to do it right".....

But if you'd like to to just swap it over??

It takes about 20 minutes and is very very easy to do. Just make sure that when you buy a kit you get hose with a gauge on it.

I've done three older cars with those kits all with good success. My most recent of course being my '84 Vette. I did the swap over in '06 and other than the slow leak, I've had no issues whatsoever and the thing blows nice and cold when fully charged.

I carry the hose in the bins, when the A/C starts to not blow cold, I stop in at any Wal-mart or auto parts store and buy a $5 can. It takes about 7-10 minutes in the parking lot to fill the system again....usually starts a few conversations about the clamshell and A/Cs in general. Folks can't believe I am filling my system right then and there.......

It's just a gas transfer
You don`t need any kind of cert to buy the 134?
Old 07-23-2010, 10:55 PM
walter schweigert
Instructor

Not for R-134a.

R 12 is still available to those with a Certification card which is real easy to get. It is an open book test, and costs around 20 to 30 Dollars for the test booklet and fee. Do a google search.
Old 07-23-2010, 11:33 PM
blown1981z28
Intermediate

I would convert it to 134. You will have too sooner or later as R-12 gets harder to come by. Most of the part stores by me have 12 in limited supply. In our shop we retrofit 90% of the older cars, some you just can't. I just did my 87 and am pleased. I had to replace a leaking compressor so I converted. I replaced the Dryer and went with an early Ford orifice tube. You should flush the system. I am getting 35 degress on a 75 degree day and 45 on a 90 plus degree day. I also converted a buddies 90 vette last year. I just replaced the dryer and flushed the whole system. It also works great. It used to be they told you to replace all the hoses and orings. I have read articles that the oil actually protects the hoses and orings. I have been converting car professionally for 17 years now since 134 came out with no issue. Some cool better that others. It depends on evaporator and condenser sizes. The vettes I have done work just as good with 134.

Last edited by blown1981z28; 07-23-2010 at 11:41 PM.
Old 07-24-2010, 11:43 AM
jhammons01
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by kenv
You don`t need any kind of cert to buy the 134?
Go check it out....this time of year the conversion kits will be at the end of the isle at that Auto parts stores. Easily seen.

The replacement cans can be found at Wal-mart, KMart, Target....

If you've done the conversion and you have the hose with you, it's the same as pumping in gas, or checking the oil, or any other fluid for that matter.

If the system is low (usually my compressor starts to cycle too frequently meaning the low pressure switch is cutting power to it) you can buy a can anywhere and just pop the hood in the parking lot.....and with the car running you use the tap on the hose to puncture the can open....then you sit for 5-10 minutes as the compressor draws the gas into the system....if the can itself is physically cold...there is still gas in the can...wait a bit longer.....when the can grows ambient temps...then you are done...disconnect the hose and throw the can away...

while you are trying to throw the can away, your cabin will be getting ice cold inside.......

Understand, the real A/C pros hate the advice I have just given and with good reason....If you are trying to "fix" a system, then all the expensive replacement items are the way to go for sure.

But I always look at things more pragmatic. I just can't see spending $1200 on replacement A/C parts when the car is worth (on a good day) $4k.....

Now, you start telling me your car has everything rebuilt and the motor is so clean you could eat off of it......then my advice is different.

If your compressor and A/C systems are all ~20 years old.......it all needs replacing anyway...patching it up with a 134a kit will get you another few years out of that system.....

Let's be real, the average length of car ownership is what....~3 years?

Last edited by jhammons01; 07-24-2010 at 11:51 AM.
Old 08-06-2010, 11:14 AM
larry93lt1
Drifting

Location: Gaithersburg MD A member since 2007 but then the computer crashed and then the car crash loss of memory X 2

Originally Posted by walter schweigert
Not for R-134a.

R 12 is still available to those with a Certification card which is real easy to get. It is an open book test, and costs around 20 to 30 Dollars for the test booklet and fee. Do a google search.
NAPA will sell me R-12 But it's in a 30 pound tank.

I'm not gonna live that long.

Get notified of new replies

To R-12 to R-134 ? How Difficult ?

Quick Reply: R-12 to R-134 ? How Difficult ?