C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

84 crossfire won't start when it's hot

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 02:13 PM
hooked073
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

would the noid blink when you were cranking the engine?
Old 08-09-2010, 02:22 PM
MFP
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hooked073
would the noid blink when you were cranking the engine?
I did it during the daylight so it was hard to see.
I tried it before letting the car warm up so I could see what it was suppose to do. Then I let it get to the point where it would not restart and tested again. One injector appeared to be getting no signal at all and the other was real dim. Couldn't really tell if it was blinking or not.
Old 08-10-2010, 11:22 AM
MFP
Advanced

Any ideas where to look next?
Old 08-10-2010, 11:44 AM
dunno513
Advanced

First, if you are not using an led test light, you won't see the injector pulses well

84's have TBI correct. I would be checking those injectors for resistance first while warm. (since warm is where your issue is) Unplug a bad injector and attempt restart.

BUT... we did have the same exact problem as you with the vehicle suddenly cutting out and it turned out the ignition coil was cracked. Car would die sometimes, and not restart for a few minutes.

Our no hot start ended up being the multec injectors. ('89)

So, theoretically, you could have a coil cutting out, causing the car to stall, and one of the injectors (2 correct) could be causing the ecm to not fire either injector causing the no restart.

Also, isn't 13 psi a little low? How's the fuel filter, new? Easy and cheap diagnosis plus good preventive maintenance.
Old 08-10-2010, 12:12 PM
MFP
Advanced

Originally Posted by dunno513
First, if you are not using an led test light, you won't see the injector pulses well

84's have TBI correct. I would be checking those injectors for resistance first while warm. (since warm is where your issue is) Unplug a bad injector and attempt restart.

BUT... we did have the same exact problem as you with the vehicle suddenly cutting out and it turned out the ignition coil was cracked. Car would die sometimes, and not restart for a few minutes.

Our no hot start ended up being the multec injectors. ('89)

So, theoretically, you could have a coil cutting out, causing the car to stall, and one of the injectors (2 correct) could be causing the ecm to not fire either injector causing the no restart.

Also, isn't 13 psi a little low? How's the fuel filter, new? Easy and cheap diagnosis plus good preventive maintenance.
The test light I'm using is in a noid light test kit I got from the local auto store. When I tried it before letting the engine warm up, it blinked bright.
How do you test for resistance?
I have a new filter and sock on the pump. I am not sure if 13psi is too low or not. I was hoping somebody here could tell me.
Is there anyway to test the ignition coil?
Old 08-10-2010, 12:21 PM
zoomy74
Cruising

13 psi is good for an 84. They didn't run higher pressures until 85 with the TPI set-up.
Old 08-10-2010, 12:25 PM
dunno513
Advanced

Originally Posted by MFP
The test light I'm using is in a noid light test kit I got from the local auto store. When I tried it before letting the engine warm up, it blinked bright.
How do you test for resistance?
I have a new filter and sock on the pump. I am not sure if 13psi is too low or not. I was hoping somebody here could tell me.
Is there anyway to test the ignition coil?
Our coil litterally fell apart in the mechanics hands when it was determined as the cause. The case litterally fell in half.

I'm totally on a limb here, but I believe you check those injectors the same way you do any other injector. pull the harness off the injector, and put an ohm meter between the contacts and see what it reads. Or multecs should read in the mid teens, but on ours, half read under 6 ohms. With the bad ones disconnected the ECM would fire the good ones.

You only have a 50/50 chance, so if you don't have an ohm meter, the next time it shuts down, unplug one injector and see if the car wants to start. (running on 4 cylinders of course)
Old 08-11-2010, 12:24 PM
MFP
Advanced

Originally Posted by dunno513

You only have a 50/50 chance, so if you don't have an ohm meter, the next time it shuts down, unplug one injector and see if the car wants to start. (running on 4 cylinders of course)
When I checked with the noid light, I only checked one side at a time. The other side still didn't work.

Anybody know where to look next?
I have no idea what to try next.
Old 08-12-2010, 03:25 PM
MFP
Advanced

Anybody?

I really don't want to pay the stealership an outragious amount just to tell me they can't find a problem.

Is there a way to test the ECM?

What would make the injectors not fire but still have fire to the plugs?

Any other places on the internet I can look?
Old 08-13-2010, 05:34 PM
MFP
Advanced

Come on you all. I did all the test you asked, don't leave me hanging.
If you don't have a clue, say so.
If you have suggestions, please let me know.

Tom400CFI, you were a great help early on, where are you now?

Quick Reply: 84 crossfire won't start when it's hot